Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Awesome Computer Render of 917
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
Check these out:

Computer Renders of Cars
Targa
Looks SWEET! If they only did the 914 too.
McMark
The car on there called "Alien" has wheels that have fans in the center. Has any company/racer tried this for brake cooling? Would make an interesting set of wheels with a real function.
Targa
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Jan 19 2004, 03:23 PM)
The car on there called "Alien" has wheels that have fans in the center. Has any company/racer tried this for brake cooling? Would make an interesting set of wheels with a real function.

I once saw a Race 914 @HPH with fan blade wheels with a circle in the middle that said Porsche twice going around the circle. It was a red race car. The wheels must have been somewhere between 10-14 inches wide. I remember seeing them once before(not on a 914).
McMark
Heh, I happen to be sitting at HPH. I'll have to take a walk outside and see.

biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
got me a new desktop now...thanks drunk.gif
TimT
You mean wheel fans like these? I haave them on my 911 as well, they really pull alot of air through the wheel. The fans combined with some ducting, and I never have heat related fade.

Oh yea............ those rendering are cool, I have new wallpaper on my pc clap56.gif
Britain Smith
Didn't Porsche do some sort of fins on the wheels of the 935's?

-Britain
Gint
Thanks Britain!
L8Apex
I think some 935's had them and I know for a fact 956's had them.
ChrisReale
Yup, read about them in Bruce Andersons 911 handbook
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(TimT @ Jan 19 2004, 03:46 PM)
You mean wheel fans like these? I haave them on my 911 as well, they really pull alot of air through the wheel...

Which way does the fan pull the air? From the body, thru the wheel and outside or from the outside, thru the wheel, and under the body? I'm hoping the former...
TimT
Pulls the air out from the wheel well.

I have cooling ducts aimed at the eye of my rotors, and the fans. The air enters the inside of the wheel, the fan pulls the air out.

did that make sense icon14.gif
Joe Bob
Do those go OVER the Fuchs wheel or are they a different wheel?
TimT
I have them on my 7&9 fuchs, They could be used with other wheels (fans were really popular with BBS) A threaded insert goes where the center cap would go, Then a big plastic centerlock typ bolt goes in and holds the fan on.

Ill take some pics tomorrow
ChrisReale
where do ya get those fans?
URY914
Here are some on 935's
URY914
another
URY914
I love 935's wub.gif
Mueller
I like RX7's as well smile.gif

opps, I mean 935's, LOL
URY914
Like this one, Mike?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(mikez @ Jan 19 2004, 06:02 PM)
Do those go OVER the Fuchs wheel or are they a different wheel?

the fans are a lot easier when you already have centerlock hubs. the 935's almost exclusively used BBS wheels. like Tim says, you can have a center cap assembly of some sort to simulate the centerlock mounting...
maf914
The Coca Cola 935 in Paul's photos is a cool car. It was built for Bob Akin by Fabcar and was considered to be the "last 935" as the 962's were on the way and the 935's gradually faded away.

The wheel fans were used for some time on 935's, 936's and 956/962's, but no one seems to use them on on new prototypes anymore. I wonder why. Has new brake technology made them unnecessary?

Mike
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(maf914 @ Jan 20 2004, 05:50 AM)
... no one seems to use them on on new prototypes anymore. I wonder why. Has new brake technology made them unnecessary?

they were always a little controversial, since FIA regulations specifically prohibit "moving aerodynamic devices".

i think the big reason now is the development of ground effects chassis, which was a new, little-understood black art in the late '70's and early 80's. now you're better off having air moving under the air to work on the undertray to produce downforce, as opposed to trying to pump air out from under the body.

the fans added unsprung, rotating mass, and wheel assemblies were smaller in diameter then. and these cars predated carbon/carbon brakes. they also add a significant amount of drag - it takes work to pump air like that - and they're most effective at the end of the straight - when brakes are cold anyway, and less effective in the slow parts, where you really want the cooling.

it was a clever way to improve braking after all the other development had boxed them into a corner. prototypes have more freedom to reject brake heat with designed-in rather than added-on solutions ...
cha914
Here's how some of the F1 guys do it ...

IPB Image

do your tools pass the white glove test?

Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.