Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did They Ever Make A Bicycle Rack For A 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Allan
Just curious if there was ever a factory or dealer option for a bike rack.

I only know of 1 person who has a system for mounting a bike to his car but it was a standard rack that had to be modified.
JeffBowlsby
At least one MFR offered a bike rack. I have a couple photos on my collectibles webpage. Not a good rack...
Joe Bob
I've modded a ski rack to accept a quick release skewer. The it's attached under the targa bar, then the rear wheel sits on the trunk lid....
jd74914
I'm building one now. The front will mount like Mike's with the quick release skewer attached to a bracket that bolts under the targa bar. I have a piece that comes out from behind the bumperette. A pin then attaches another bar to this one, the other bar going around the trunk lid to anchor the rear wheel (like on a conventional roof rack). The whole thing is TIG welded stainless.

I'll post some pictures when I'm done. smile.gif
Joe Bob
So you have to take the mount off to open the rear trunk?
jd74914
Yes, hence pins by the bumper so it can come off fast to open the lid.
Joe Bob
Love to see it.....or a drawing.

I simply used a chamois under the wheel to protect the paint, then bungeed the wheel tight to the tow eye.....
carr914
Made my own mount, left it on the Six when it went to Europe. I'll try to find a picture.

T.C.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 30 2008, 01:41 PM) *

At least one MFR offered a bike rack. I have a couple photos on my collectibles webpage. Not a good rack...

I've had the Hardt Bike Rack which I bought in 1978 specifically for the 914s, from Chick Iverson Porsche/Audi in Newport Beach CA. It's design emulated the ski rack which clips the front mount under the front of the windshield/targa-top juncture, & the rear portion screws into the 2-3 holes in the underside of the rear of the roll bar.

It always worked great for me - even on long freeway trips, but it was only holding lightweigt 10 speed bikes - not heavier beach cruisers or mountain bikes, so I can't say how they would do.

I also had the same design for the ski racks. In both cases you do NOT have to dis-mount the skiis or bike to open the rear trunk, as you do with those racks which attach at the rear tow hook screw adapter & span to the other on the roll bar. I thought was a bad design - especially since the bike seat on those latter's rubbed on the rear deck/trunk lid, & both the skis & bike were at an angle - thereby causing more aerodynamic drag & disturbance.

Whereas, the ones I have span parallel & over the targa top, which of course you cannot remove while using these racks - their only drawback. I still have both in the 914 accessories/etc. boxin my garage waiting to be used again!

I'd recco those to anyone wanting them!
Tom_T
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 5 2009, 04:56 AM) *

I've had the Hardt Bike Rack which I bought in 1978 specifically for the 914s, from Chick Iverson Porsche/Audi in Newport Beach CA. It's design emulated the ski rack which clips the front mount under the front of the windshield/targa-top juncture, & the rear portion screws into the 2-3 holes in the underside of the rear of the roll bar.

It always worked great for me - even on long freeway trips, but it was only holding lightweigt 10 speed bikes - not heavier beach cruisers or mountain bikes, so I can't say how they would do.

I also had the same design for the ski racks. In both cases you do NOT have to dis-mount the skiis or bike to open the rear trunk, as you do with those racks which attach at the rear tow hook screw adapter & span to the other on the roll bar. I thought was a bad design - especially since the bike seat on those latter's rubbed on the rear deck/trunk lid, & both the skis & bike were at an angle - thereby causing more aerodynamic drag & disturbance.

Whereas, the ones I have span parallel & over the targa top, which of course you cannot remove while using these racks - their only drawback. I still have both in the 914 accessories/etc. boxin my garage waiting to be used again!

FYI --

Here are some pix of the 2 racks - 1 each side for 1 bike each (pic 1 here), & a close-up of the instructions showing them installed & carrying 2 bikes (next post).

As I noted above - they always worked fine for me - even at freeway speeds - so long as you set them up properly & cinched down the straps at BOTH the seat plate/pad & handlebar rack, & check them at every stop.

My original post above was INCORRECT in stating that the bikes went across the top - only my ski racks did so. The next post shows how they actually worked. Sorry about the "half-zymers"! ...but it's been 25+ years since I last used them!

NO - they're not for sale, but could probably be reporduced from similar plate steel, hooks/nuts & straps.

HARDT B14 - BIKE RACK FOR 914:

Click to view attachment

note that the protective pads which fit under the lower plates that hook under the trunk deck lid have gone missing above at the one in the lower right corner. That pad to protect the trunk lid finish could be replaced - probably with a better & more soft material faced foam pad of modern materials today.

...also see next post for instructions detail....
Tom_T
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 16 2009, 02:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 5 2009, 04:56 AM) *

FYI --

Here are some pix of the 2 racks - 1 each side for 1 bike each (pic 1 here), & a close-up of the instructions showing them installed & carrying 2 bikes (next post).

As I noted above - they always worked fine for me - even at freeway speeds - so long as you set them up properly & cinched down the straps at BOTH the seat plate/pad & handlebar rack, & check them at every stop.

My original post above was INCORRECT in stating that the bikes went across the top - only my ski racks did so. The next post shows how they actually worked. Sorry about the "half-zymers"! ...but it's been 25+ years since I last used them!

NO - they're not for sale, but could probably be reporduced from similar plate steel, hooks/nuts & straps.

HARDT B14 - BIKE RACK FOR 914:

Click to view attachment

note that the protective pads which fit under the lower plates that hook under the trunk deck lid have gone missing above at the one in the lower right corner. That pad to protect the trunk lid finish could be replaced - probably with a better & more soft material faced foam pad of modern materials today.

...also see next post for instructions detail....

...and here's a shot of the instructions......sorry for the cropping so tight, but my camera take 8.0MP pix & I had to cut this to <500mb to post - apologies!

DETAIL OF INSTRUCTIONS FOR HARDT B14 - BIKE RACK FOR 914:

Click to view attachment

Good Luck to those looking to recreate these, as they're not too complicated a design. Just make sure to include rubber-type pads at all contact points of the holder parts to body & bikes, and I used to use soft fabric loops over the straps to protect the bikes' finishes too.

They're also coated with a rubberized black paint to protect the body surfaces & bikes, and use the 3 standard Porsche allen head screws up under the roll-bar on each side to attach the 2 handlebar holders. The rest of the straps & hardware are probably generally available in the home improvement &/or fabric stores around town.

Hope this helps!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.