Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel Recommendations?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fat73
I need some guidance from you pros out there who may have experience with larger than normal wheels on 914s. My car is kinda wide, 70" across the front struts outside fender to outside fender, and 74" wide on the rear.

I'm currently running 18x8 on the front with 225/40 and 18x11 with 295/35 on the rears. The problem is that the wheel hubs are way outside, so that I have to run 4" of spacer on the fronts, and 1 3/4" spacers on the rears. The rears probably aren't so bad but that much leverage on the front is really hard on the wheel bearings.

So, having said all that, and assuming that I'm really interested in keeping the wheel dimensions I have, and the general design/pattern of the wheels, can anybody make any recommendations on what kind/brand of wheel might be a good solution?

Also, it seems that because of the width on the front I'm challenged getting / keeping the camber from being too much in at the top (wears the tires on the inside).

Ed aka W9R1
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
sounds like you need big wheels with a custom offset and backspacing.

CCW and BBS make big wide porsche wheels.
Dr. Roger
Kinda like these bad boys but alloy, right?

sww914
With 3 piece BBS, Fikse Kinesis or the other big $$$ race wheel manufacturers you can order the centers and the rim halves separately. You can create any offset that you need.
iamchappy
Jongbloed are the lightest... and the preferred racing rim for those in the know...

http://www.jongbloedracing.com/
keske968
HRE does custom wheels as well
boxstr
Here is a set of 8x16 and 10x16 Fuchs. They all are 5" offset. New tires also.
CCL
fat73
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Apr 30 2008, 05:53 PM) *

Yep just prettier. Are you running any spacers on those? What are the width of those and the offset if you know.

Ed aka W9R1
Grngoat
All of the manufacturers listed above can make wheels of any width, diameter, backspacing you want. And most have very similiar designs to what you have there . . but why?

If you ran front wheels with 4" less backspacing and rears with 1-3/4" less backspacing, yeah, you wouldn't need spacers. But the tires would be in the exact same location so the "leverage" on the wheel bearings would be exactly the same. You can't change that without going to narrower wheels, or moving the whole wheel/tire combination inboard. But you'd probably rub on the struts or inner wheel wells and it wouldn't looke right with your widebody fenders.

If you want the look of wheels with more dish to them, cool. But if you're worried about the wheel bearings, that won't fix anything. Would hate to see you spend a lot of money with no benefit.
SirAndy
deeper offset is the solution. much deeper offset ... shades.gif

here's what will go on my car soon ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=51696

bye1.gif Andy
fat73
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 30 2008, 11:13 PM) *

deeper offset is the solution. much deeper offset ... shades.gif

here's what will go on my car soon ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=51696

bye1.gif Andy

Perrrrrrrrrrrfect.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(fat73 @ Apr 30 2008, 10:01 PM) *

Yep just prettier. Are you running any spacers on those? What are the width of those and the offset if you know.

Ed aka W9R1

Those rims are from someone here in "The World". I asked him what they were off of and he said a VW bus or a dune buggy. I think he said he got them off of Samba.

Probably really cheap too. idea.gif

Andy, what did you pay for those wheels? if i may inquire...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ May 15 2008, 01:35 PM) *

don't remember, it's been a while, but i think the whole set with tires was somewhere in the $1200 to $1400 range ...

alzheimer kicking in ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 15 2008, 02:46 PM) *

don't remember, it's been a while, but i think the whole set with tires was somewhere in the $1200 to $1400 range ...

alzheimer kicking in ...
rolleyes.gif Andy

Jeezus, man! Each corner is worth that!
fat73

Ed aka W9R1

Those rims are from someone here in "The World". I asked him what they were off of and he said a VW bus or a dune buggy. I think he said he got them off of Samba.

If I remember correctly about $1500.

Ed aka W9R1
fat73
QUOTE(fat73 @ May 15 2008, 02:28 PM) *

Ed aka W9R1

If I remember correctly about $1500.

Ed aka W9R1

And tires were pretty close to that amount in Vegas.

I've found a much cheaper place in Chattannooga Tn for less than $900 for tires.

Ed aka W9R1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.