Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: coil off 2.0l 6 on a 2.4l
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
For those of you that know this sort of thing.... I put the coil off my 2.0l 6 onto the 2.4l. I would think they are the same, but I am just checking with the pros as to if that could be causing my problems.

Root_Werks
Shouldn't, you should have been using the 3 pin CD box correct? If so, that should be fine. I have an extra coil and 3 pin box I'll bring with me tomorrow just in case. wink.gif
Mark Henry
If it's a blue coil it's the same...I've seen them on 12cyls.
Now if it's a high volt aftermarket coil it can melt points.

Dan says CD box, I don't use them, but as long as it's rated for the coil no problem.
Root_Werks
Well, I say CD box only becuase it is what probably was on his 914 to begin with. That said the system should still be the same and work fine. If it has an MSD box or if his 2.0 had point/condensor without a CD box, then things change. Either way, I'll bring over some parts and we'll get something together.
SLITS
Hey John, as I understand the systems they used (and we are talking /6 systems), the early cars '65 - '67? used a conventional point / coil system. The coil is fed 12 VDC with an internal resistor (Bosch Blue) or other cars an external resistor which drops the 12 VDC to about 9 VDC feeding the coil.

If you feed the conventional system 12 VDC it will burn the points, possibly the center electode of the cap, etc. And yes I did it many years ago and found this out.

The CDI system uses a transformer (not called a coil in the books). It is fed 300 - 400 VDC by the CDI box. Using a "Coil" from an earlier car with a CDI could feasibly overheat it and short the windings (pure speculation on my part).

Take this information for what you want ....
Root_Werks
If I remember what Jon told me, his engine will not rev above 4k rpms. That would maybe be a points ignition mixed with a CD system. Or fried point (or weak points) or if it's set up right as a 3 pin CD system, still bad points, bad CD box or bad coil.

I didn't ask him if he simply took his ign system off his 2.0 as a whole and just swapped it over to the 2.4. If his 2.0 was early enough and parts have been mixed, say he is running pre 68' coil but doesn't have a condensor on his 2.4 dizzy, then that will explain a lot. If we get stuff figured out tomorrow, we'll post the results here.
SLITS
In addition to what you said Dan ...

1.) Dizzy advance not working / dwell way off

2.) 2.4L would have most likely had a RPM limiting rotor ... they have been known to give up. The sound the engine makes when it shorts to ground is very discernable.

Good luck ... have fun ... and remember that the Doctor is always available ... 24 hours a day.

Root_Werks
Well oh slity one, while we were discussing timming and ign issues, Jeff (Sixnotfour) swung by and helped them figure it out. I talked to Jon and it sounds like it was just carb adjustments. Cool! Jon, you gotta put some miles on that engine now.

driving.gif
messix
Jeff to the rescue!!!!!!!!!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif pray.gif
SLITS
Carbs .... what the hell are they?

Nice work Jeff.
PeeGreen 914
They were jetted too small. Weird as it was working on the car it came out of, but oh well. We will put the new jets in tomorrow once we get them from Jeff. He really IS the man.
championgt1
Jon,

Glad to hear you got it figured out. Looks very nice.
PeeGreen 914
Thanks Jack. I too am glad we solved it and it was simple rather than needing to pull the engine again. piratenanner.gif I do all the grunt work and the pros come do the fine tuning... I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to that stuff.
championgt1
Cool.

I helped rhodyguy drop his motor today. It was my first experience at a motor drop, and was a great learning experience. Not to bad actually, but it is nice to hear you don't have to drop yours again.
PeeGreen 914
Yeah... It's really not very hard...especially when you're using a lift smile.gif I did mine by myself. I really did most of the grunt work myself. It wasn't until I went to have the motor mount welded in that I needed help... Then came the stuff I don't know how to do... and Tim has helped a ton in that area and Jeff bailed us both out. Those two together have more experience than I believe I ever will in two lifetimes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.