Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Water Damage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Todd Enlund
The 901 side shifter that I got with my '71 has a broken mounting ear
Click to view attachment
so today I took the end plate off. There was more water than oil in the case.
Click to view attachment
Which means that there was rust.
Click to view attachment
The 1st-reverse shifter fork is broken as well.
Click to view attachment
I guess I'm shopping for a tranny now... I think that throwing money at this box would be foolish, no?
SLITS
I don't know crap, but ...........

Rusty gears are one thing .... rusted and pitted gears are another.

It also looks like one of the shifter forks is broken to me (where the bolt goes thru). It's been a while since I opened one up and I don't remember seeing that.

Can you slide the gears on their shafts?

Since you have it as far as you do, you might as well pull the stack and look at the intermediate plate bearings. If they look like your gears the tranny is prolly toast.

Dr. Evil / Red Beard / Thomas should chime in here.
Eric_Shea
Might be a gonner... depending upon how long the water has been in there; water can eat through magnesium. I bough a 2.4 six for the MFI and it had sat with water in the case for a while. It ate a hole through the case around the strainer.

Check the mag. case for damage.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 2 2008, 08:23 PM) *

I don't know crap, but ...........

Rusty gears are one thing .... rusted and pitted gears are another.

It also looks like one of the shifter forks is broken to me (where the bolt goes thru). It's been a while since I opened one up and I don't remember seeing that.

Can you slide the gears on their shafts?

Since you have it as far as you do, you might as well pull the stack and look at the intermediate plate bearings. If they look like your gears the tranny is prolly toast.

Dr. Evil / Red Beard / Thomas should chime in here.

The gears slide, the diff turns... I was surprised that there was water and rust inside when I opened it. I'm not so surprised that the shift fork is broken... I got the tranny with no promise as to the condition, so I expected that something would need to be repaired. That's not where I would expect a shift fork to break, though...
SLITS
It almost looks like the tranny was stored bell up. Hey the gears are only rusted on one side and the top of the intermediate plate looks ok. The fact that the gears slide and shit rotates is an encouraging sign. The broken shift fork is not.

Call for the Doc for an evaluation ... no, not that one, the other one, no, not him, the other one, the tranny sturgeon. biggrin.gif
LvSteveH
There's actually a mechanical/chemical process (machine) that does an amazing job on stuff like that, but it's not worth the expense on a 914 trans.

Just using some phosphoric acid solution and a wire brush would probably clean it up pretty well if you are feeling adventurous.

Between the broken ear and funk obviously finding a new box makes the most sense.
Eric_Shea
The fact that the gears slide and shit rotates is an encouraging sign. The broken shift fork is not.

agree.gif and if it did sit bell up you'll probably be fine by needing the cover you need anyway. Check with the Evil one who is actually the good one. wink.gif
purple
The first thing I thought when i saw that was 'was this recovered from the titanic wreck site?' that looks really awful...

there is a tranny on ebay right now and it was around 275 last i checked. he said it shifts in all gears...
DNHunt
Todd

Try calling Gary at Parts Obsolete 503-835-2300. He's in McMinville. I don't know for sure but he may have a 901 for a 914 around. If not it's still fun to look around and he has some great stories.

Dave
So.Cal.914
I think I would be more concerned about the bearings than the gears. Old

Gearheads have been taking old "A" trannys out of the barn, soaking them in

diesel fuel, changeing the bearings and running them for years. May not last as

long as one that didnt double as a birdbath but if all the parts move, run it.
PeeGreen 914
Ask T H O M A S for one and see what his price is. You could ask Dr. Evil as well but I think the shipping would be more. I got my transmision from THOMAS and it rocks. He does a great job rebuilding these and I think he has a few sitting around. Why buy one you have no idea what the shape is when you can get one that has been completely gone through and resealed wink.gif Then go clean those gears up... never hurts to have spares.
effutuo101
Parts Haven in Oakland had a few on the shelf last time I was there.
PeeGreen 914
Dave at Triad has ten or so just sitting there... I would think even more if you look in the parts trailer. If you want a used one I am sure someone local will have one but you will never know the shape it is in.
Todd Enlund
Well, I got a "new" tranny... The guy that I got the car from swapped the rusty one for a different, unknown condition box. This one was still bolted to a 1.7, so I'm hopeful that it is in better shape... smile.gif

Bad news now is that although I found a killer deal on a core engine ($400 for a 2.0 with a set of 44 Webers), I won't be able to get it until after the WCR... the guy will be out of town until then. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.