Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Polishing my Wheels...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericread
The PO had painted the wheels all black, and had not been all that careful as there was black overspray on the unpainted parts. As it aged, the paint started to chip and I decided they needed to be cleaned up.

Before picture:
Click to view attachment

So... I sanded the paint off the wheel areas as shown below.
Click to view attachment

I have yet to clean up the overspray areas, and I need to buff the aluminum to a better and more consistant shine. Then what?

Do I clear-coat the wheels? Do I leave the aluminum un-treated (if I do won't the aluminum oxidize?)
Sleepin
If you clear them, just make sure you use a UV resistant clear. Yellow clearcoats suck.
effutuo101
If you have already sanded of the sealer, hit them with polishing compound, then mothers. once you have the right level of shine, clear them. Or, if you don't mind spending about a hour a month polishing the rims, leave them as is.
ericread
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ May 2 2008, 07:03 PM) *

If you have already sanded of the sealer, hit them with polishing compound, then mothers. once you have the right level of shine, clear them. Or, if you don't mind spending about a hour a month polishing the rims, leave them as is.

That's what I was afraid of, and why I posed the question. Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.