Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cracked Rear Suspension Ear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
While cleaning up my engine bay I found a crack in the passanger side rear suspension ear. My car has been laied up for almost a year and I am really disappointed over this. Can someone help me with a fix. The crack runs horizonal all the way accross the ear about 2" above of the trailing arm bolt on the engine side of the ear. I know I can buy a headbang.gif new one, but I hace sent a lot of money on the car and I'm not a welder.Thanks for reading. Mike
SLITS
You're gonna have to find someone to weld it ... w/o a picture I can't tell if there is enough room for a reinforcement plate.
Eric_Shea
Click on the CFR banners you see posted on this site or contact Racer Chris here. Then start looking for a competent welder. Check the vintage auto restoration shops in your area (the good ones). You'll find a good welder there most often.

Get the parts from Chris and have them weld in the fix.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
if not a new replacement piece is readily available
SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 3 2008, 08:15 AM) *

agree.gif

the replacement is actually not that bad of a job. do a search here, it has been covered multiple times with pics and all ...
smash.gif Andy
xperu
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 3 2008, 01:23 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 3 2008, 08:15 AM) *

agree.gif

the replacement is actually not that bad of a job. do a search here, it has been covered multiple times with pics and all ...
smash.gif Andy

Thanks Everyone for your help. Mike
Joe Bob
Sean Molloy just did it.....
Eric_Shea
the replacement is actually not that bad of a job.

Doesn't that require dropping the engine and tranny and removing the right control arm and removing the spotwelds on the engine shelf and removing the spot welds on the suspension ear and measuring and welding in the new suspension ear and then welding the engine shelf back on and putting the suspension back on and reinstalling the engine and tranny? biggrin.gif

Not that bad a job... lol3.gif
Gint
Yeah, that's it. That's the job. I'm in no rush to drop a motor and re-install again. But that's just me. rolleyes.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 4 2008, 08:44 AM) *

the replacement is actually not that bad of a job.

Doesn't that require dropping the engine and tranny and removing the right control arm and removing the spotwelds on the engine shelf and removing the spot welds on the suspension ear and measuring and welding in the new suspension ear and then welding the engine shelf back on and putting the suspension back on and reinstalling the engine and tranny? biggrin.gif

Not that bad a job... lol3.gif

correct ... start friday evening, be done with it sunday afternoon ...
shades.gif Andy
Eric_Shea

With or without Mark? tongue.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 4 2008, 10:51 AM) *

With or without Mark? tongue.gif

as long as you have the right tools, it doesn't really matter. although an extra pair of hands certainly doesn't hurt ...
sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
and I'm not a welder

That solves that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.