Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wierd Question ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

A couple of weeks ago i rebuilt my peddle cluster,at the same time i added the

missing ( Suspension Pan the one that covers up the Master Cly.and bottom

of the Peddle Cluster). On E-Bay there is one for sale now,the guy selling it gives

it credit for smoothing the air flow under the car to a point of improving

mileage?????? What do you guys think???? BTW i just drove to Hershey and

back, about a 1,000 miles. It felt much smoother,and reduced wind noise under

the car. Is this all in my head, or what ???? Dave slap.gif
swl
That hole would be a pretty good wind scoop. I can believe that a cover will reduce the wind noise and maybe even give you a touch better gas milage. Nothing dramatic but you probably can feel it at speed. Besides - its the right thing to do smile.gif
dbgriffith75
It's possible you might see a little improvement in mileage, but not enough to make a significant difference. It all goes back to aerodynamics- the smoother the surface, the less friction caused by air flow, hence better mileage.

As far as reducing wind noise, it's likely you only noticed that because wind was being forced through the boot on the master cylinder that covers the hole in the cabin floor. Having the cover pan installed would at least reduce the amount of air being forced through the boot.

But that's just my two cents.... someone else might give you a better explanation.
ericread
I don't know about better mileage, but covering the hole with the pan is a really good idea. On my way back to Irvine from Big Bear this afternoon, the car in front of me split a tire. A very large piece of this tire hit the front of my car, and went underneath. I heard the sound of something scraping under the car (at about 80 mph) and continued on. Although feeling no bad vibrations or indications of problems, I pulled over about a mile later to inspect my car. Other than the front license plate cover being shattered and the license partially pulled off, no damage whatsoever. I am very glad all of my underside sheet metal was in place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.