Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil leaking big time
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Click to view attachment

thought it was from oil inlet or outlet but now i think maybe the oil cooler. red arrows in pic show oil drops hanging around.

thought i would clean off with brake cleaner and let it run to see if i can find where its coming from but any advice is appreciated. Hate to drop the motor again...

thanks,
dr
ejm
Check the oil pressure switch down beside the distributor.

machina
QUOTE(ejm @ May 3 2008, 05:54 PM) *

Check the oil pressure switch down beside the distributor.

good suggestion and it was leaking a bit when the motor went back but i tightened it thru the tin with a crowsfoot socket. this leak is really huge compared to that one.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

This may not be your cap of tea, but there is a die you put in your oil, and under

a black light the die makes you oil a florescent green. I did this, big leaks or small

easy to find and trace to the source. Try it worked for me. Dave slap.gif
ericread
My car was spraying oil everywhere. I found that replacing the oil cooler gaskets and the pushrod seals cleaned up about 95% of the leaks. Oil temp seal and valve cover seals cleaned up the rest.

Since mine was leaking "everywhere" I worked on these main areas and was lucky in finding all of the leaks. The advice to me was to work on the main areas for leak potnetial first, then keep working until all the leaks are fixed. Others told me that no matter what, a 914 would always leak.

My experience was pretty good. No leaks for the past 2 weeks.

Good luck
VaccaRabite
I am guessing that you have a leak around the oil cooler. The 2 rubber grommets can leak like sieves.

Zach
Gint
QUOTE(BarberDave @ May 3 2008, 09:05 PM) *
smilie_pokal.gif

This may not be your cap of tea, but there is a die you put in your oil, and under

a black light the die makes you oil a florescent green. I did this, big leaks or small

easy to find and trace to the source. Try it worked for me. Dave slap.gif
Where'd you get the stuff Dave?
rhodyguy
reach up and see if the top side of the oil filter is a puddle of oil. if so, prob the cooler seals. if you're super lucky, it will only be the oil pressure sending unit as ed suggests.

k

Allan
QUOTE(Gint @ May 3 2008, 10:12 PM) *

Where'd you get the stuff Dave?

Mike, I don't know about the big chain flaps but NAPA has a kit. It comes with the additive, small black light, and a pair of tinted glasses that are suppose to help you see it better.

I used it on my t-4 to trace a leak and found that the best way was to clean everything really well before using it. It shows up ALOT better on a clean surface than one covered in old grime.
Gint
Thanks Allan. My motor just went back in after a re-seal and is relatively clean now. If it leaks again after I sealed it I don't want to have to guess where it's coming from. I was thinking about one of those kits before this thread even came up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.