Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick question about AA pistons...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
Well, anyone who's used them? Does the arrow point up or down?
Mark D.
SLITS
Call the doctor .... he'll know ... available 24/7

I would hazard a guess, but I don't want to be wrong and ruin your engine.
McMark
The piston industry standard is to make a mark that points to the flywheel. Are these the pistons with the valve relief pocket? If so, the pocket does DOWN, regardless of anything else.
BMXerror
No, they're basically 1.7 Euro stockers, but the arrow points up or down? WTF?
Mark D.
SLITS
Are there any other markings on the piston crowns?
brer
pics?
Allan
Look inside the pistons and see if there is a little crank looking mark. Kinda looks like a zig-zag with a straight line at one end.
BMXerror
QUOTE(brer @ May 4 2008, 10:34 AM) *

pics?

Only the mystery arrow and a number (89.95). I'm guessing it's either weight or bore. No marks on the inside either except an AA logo cast into one side. BTW, what's the difference? Is the wrist pin hole offset or something? I'm emailing AA today, but I probably won't hear from them 'till tomorrow.
Mark D.
BMXerror
Pic.
Click to view attachment
Mark D.
brer
only AA can help you me thinks.

confused24.gif
tod914
Is it possible the arrows where removed and put on a 6 cyl set? WTF.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(McMark @ May 3 2008, 10:59 PM) *

The piston industry standard is to make a mark that points to the flywheel. Are these the pistons with the valve relief pocket? If so, the pocket does DOWN, regardless of anything else.

Bumping this for someone.
hot_shoe914
Here is my question. If the pushrods are on the bottom, the rockers in the middle, then the valves are up top, shouldn't the valve relief need to be up top also?
draganc
QUOTE(McMark @ May 3 2008, 07:59 PM) *

...The piston industry standard is to make a mark that points to the flywheel...

Mark, can you elaborate on your comment? I was told that the arrow always points to the exhaust.

How would the arrow/mark point to the fly-wheel on our engines?

Not to be a smart-ass, just curious.

Dr Evil
The arrows above point up and down. That is not the norm. The norm is fore and aft. The flywheel is on one of those points and the arrow fore or aft woudl point to the fly wheel.
biggy72
I know the arrow always points toward the exhaust on Stihl products. That's what I have the most experience with. It may or may not be correct in this instance though.
draganc
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 22 2011, 08:02 PM) *

The arrows above point up and down. That is not the norm. The norm is fore and aft. The flywheel is on one of those points and the arrow fore or aft woudl point to the fly wheel.

doc, but wouldn't that flip the pistion by 180deg from "left" to "right" side. i.e. if my left bank points to the flywheel, i would have to flip the pisiton by 180deg on the right side in order to point to the flywheel.

idea.gif

d
Dr Evil
Yes, one would have to flip the pistons to point all in the same direction. If this conflicts with the piston pocket orientation (if there are any) then you have 4 of the same side. Not good.
Series9
I'm looking forward to this answer.

I've seen arrows both flywheel and nose, but never up or down.
r_towle
measure the wrist pin placement to see if it is centered in the diameter of the piston.
If it is offset (somewhere around 8mm) that would be the bottom of the piston on a stock motor....and the top in a race motor...lol

If they are offset, you want the rod closer to the bottom of the motor...I hope that makes sense.

Makes it quieter with less piston slap when it reverses direction.

Early 911 had this...then it went away..then it came back again.
beetle and 356 and type 4 have the offset pins.

Rich
Krieger
On a map arrows point to North. On pistons they point to the flywheel.
blink.gif
hot_shoe914
Well, I don't know about the arrows other than I was told they always point towards the flywheel. On these particular pistons with the valve relief, I called AA who made them. The fellow told me that they put the valve relief in rather than make them with the offsets. The valve relief ALWAYS goes down as Mark stated earlier.

Shoe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.