Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: recommend a daily driver
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
So I've decided I need to take the 914 off priority for a while and get myself one of them newer cars (used) that so many people seem to like to drive... I'll still work on my 914 on the side but as for now and the next few years I need something reliable for work, classes, etc.

Can anyone recommend anything?

I do have some basic requirements in mind...
Reliable/little work other than regular maintenance
4 or more seats
Good gas mileage (25+)
and a big plus would be some storage space for band gear (this leaves me with a hatchback in mind)

I've been checking out the Ford Focus and I like it pretty well... though I don't know the rap on them

My budget is somewheres about 5-6k

Can anyone help ?
stateofidleness
my daily is a '98 chevy blazer (4dr) and surprisingly i get great gas mileage (not quite 25, more like 19) but it's great.

i play guitar too and it's perfect for hauling my gear

i plan on baggin' it soon smile.gif

just an idea
Demick
Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix seems to fit your criteria.
Nie Zu Alt
Hammy,

The wife and I just went through this finding sound daily drivers for our kids. The story on the Focus is get something 2005 or newer. Older ones have some issues. I'd look for something from Honda or Toyota. Even the ones made in the late 90's will get 200K+ miles if taken care of. How about a Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4 or Subaru wagon?
Hammy
my daily is a '98 chevy blazer (4dr) and surprisingly i get great gas mileage (not quite 25, more like 19) but it's great.

i play guitar too and it's perfect for hauling my gear

i plan on baggin' it soon smile.gif

just an idea

Yeah, actually my dad owns a 2003 Blazer which I use for gigs and transporting band gear. It holds a lot for its smaller size compared to other SUV's. Once I had it crammed full of gear (minus a few drums) and still managed to pack 3 gals in the back seat shades.gif Priorities...
QUOTE(Demick @ May 3 2008, 11:39 PM) *

Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix seems to fit your criteria.

Cool car. I'd never even heard of it until now but I'm checking it out... I really like the AWD (I do some backpacking/fishing also)..do you know if they're all AWD or is it an option?

stateofidleness
QUOTE(Hammy @ May 4 2008, 02:14 AM) *

Yeah, actually my dad owns a 2003 Blazer which I use for gigs and transporting band gear. It holds a lot for its smaller size compared to other SUV's. Once I had it crammed full of gear (minus a few drums) and still managed to pack 3 gals in the back seat shades.gif Priorities...

lol BTDT! good times.

my buddy has a '03 Subaru Forester (AWD), turbo, lots of storage space, relatively low so loading/unloading is great, fast as hell, very dependable
dw914er
i have an rsx which gets 30, and i fit my 7 piece dw drumset, and all the stands, etc into it.

Good car, and honda reliability. 130,000 miles from my dad, and still runs strong.

Might be too expensive becasue its newer, so an older integra might work too.

My bass player has a cr-v though, he likes it, and my guitarist has an integra, and likes his car too.

with that lower price range, itsw easy to find pos's, so a honda or toyota might be better for you becasue they will last forever
lotus_65
i'm looking for a used suby, but part of that is 'cause i'm up in the snow belt.

...that and when i win the lotto (should happen soon) i'd like to put something like this in my next teener! (except for maybe that cowling!)

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.