Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Interesting test ride
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
Been looking for a car for my son lately (mostly Nissan Pathfinders). Noticed a VW van 1970 in the auto trader mag. It has a fuel injected chevy V6 that is claimed to produce 250 HP. It realy pushed me back in my seat. Not the most practicle thing in the world but then niether is a 914. They are asking 7000 and I am really tempted. The only down side is the radiators and fans are under the floor. Could be some clearance issues. Has anyone heard of this conversion?
Cheers, Elliot
markb
Nope, I haven't heard of that conversion. However, my business bus is a 73 VW with a 2.4 in it. I have a hard time getting it away from my business partner long enough for me to drive it.

True story....my business partner was watching some ricers racing(?) each other one night, and they told him he couldn't just watch, he had to participate. He blew the doors off every car before they let him quit. He said he's never had so much fun.
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(markb @ Jan 19 2004, 09:49 PM)
Nope, I haven't heard of that conversion. However, my business bus is a 73 VW with a 2.4 in it. I have a hard time getting it away from my business partner long enough for me to drive it.

True story....my business partner was watching some ricers racing(?) each other one night, and they told him he couldn't just watch, he had to participate. He blew the doors off every car before they let him quit. He said he's never had so much fun.

Thanks. I love those kinds of stories. I've raised a few rice driver eyebrows with my 914 also. 2.2 with webers. About 140HP on the dyno. I talked to the Minister of Finance and Entertainment tonight and she was not totally turned off by the idea of the VW van so maybe.....
Cheers, Elliot
Neal
How old is your son ?, that Bus has a pretty high CG just like a mail jeep.
Joe Bob
Prolly not the best ride for your son to show up with when picking up a date....I know what MY reaction would be if'n it showed up at the front of my house.....

I'd be tempted to throw him the keys to Blondie and lock the bus with the bed in the back in my garage idea.gif
redshift
And then you'd go inside it, and take 3 5mg Xanax, and try to get some rest.

I am glad I don't have daughters!

G'luck!

M
cha914
I have a 73 camper that I am planning on upgrading to a SBC if I can make it fit...we shal see...so if you get that bus I will be requesting some photos tongue.gif

BTW, I was driving that van when I first started dating my wife, her dad never said a word when I pulled up to the house...wonder what he was thinking though tongue.gif

Tony
Mike T
There are a bunch of links to VW Bus and Vanagon engine swaps smash.gif here:

http://volksweb.relitech.com/convert.htm

Mike T
John Kelly
I think only old and seasoned drivers should drive a VW Bus.....or those that drive in nice safe conditions. Young folks don't tend to pay much attention to their vulnerability...that can loose you your legs in a Bus.....you are the crumple zone! Having said that, I learned to drive in a Bus and I'm still here.

I once got a ride in a V-8 powered Bus...pretty impressive.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Rogue
You want a work of art, try this. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Oh my Gawd!

Hmmmm, idea.gif Teener Idea?
LS6/914
Had a 65 bus in high school (72). It was called the porta-party cool.gif Check out Smallcar.com for a newer engine swap in a vanagon. welder.gif
cha914
John,

I totally agree, my 73 was my first car, and I am still around also. I think 6 years of driving a bus made me a very good driver...you have to be, when you drive a car that you cant see out of, cant stop fast, cant turn fast, and can't get out of your own way...but, that said, they are great fun, and that is why I want to trick my old one out.

First step is to get a good suspension and some upgraded brakes on there...then I will start thinking about the engine. Speaking of which, you have any info on that v8 powered bus you rode in?

Thanks,

Tony
John Kelly
Hi Tony,

I just remember that it had a 350 with the radiator mounted in back, and that's about it...sorry!

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.