Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil change with a dipstick pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
Picked up the 2002 Jetta this weekend. It was down 2 quarts of oil and suffering from neglect. It only takes 4.2 quarts!

Anyway, after dousing the driveway with oil, I was wondering about a dedicated dipstick pump. My neighbor has a marine pump with a long tube and reservoir that looks pretty slick. I thought I read about it here, but couldn't find it.

If it's a good idea, anyone have a favorite brand?

Paul
orthobiz
How about:

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Oil_...ANK_DESIGN.html

Paul
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Paul:

These have been around for yrs.I n my younger and dummer yrs. i worked for

Gulf on the Ohio Turnpike we used them,(easy to handle hot oil that way) on a 6

qt. oil change we would regularly get 4 gt. out of the engine. Probbly due to not

getting to the lowest part of the oil pan. And oil still being held up in the engine.

Guess how many qt, coustomer was charged for????

For a 914 I don,t think I would do it ! How many times a yr. do we change oil?

The time saved would only be worth it if you have a fleet of cars.

Do you? Dave slap.gif

Edit we changed the oil at the pump while filling the tank !
orthobiz
No, don't have a fleet. But looking for an easier and faster way. And if it's convenient, I'll have it forever.

On the VW Jetta today, had to jack the car up to find the filler plug (first time),
got the plug loose,
guessed the oil trajectory (the plug is sideways so it spurts sideways),
guessed wrong,
got oil on the driveway,
waited for the stream to diminish,
lowered the car to make sure everything was drained,
fished out the oil plug from the receptacle (I dropped it when I started freaking out about the spillage),
put the plug back in after changing the filter,
jacked the car up to tighten the bolt,
etc
etc
etc

For the 914, I'm under the car anyway for the filter. Not so with the VDub. I can change the filter from the engine compartment.

If you never get to the bottom and leave a quart or two behind, then maybe it really isn't worth it. Maybe boat engines are designed to have the oil drained this way?

Dave, I got the "younger" part. Were you dumber 'cause you worked for Gulf or because you used an oil pump?

Paul
sww914
In many boats there isn't enough room between the engine and the bilge to get a drain pan so your choices are drain the oil into the bilge and clean it up later or suck it out of the dipstick. I'd rather jack a car up than clean several quarts of oil out of the bilge. That's why I don't work on boats anymore. So often they're not designed to work on, it's like they're all prototypes.
PeeGreen 914
The one pictured is the one I use for my BMW. It gets more oil out than just pulling the drain plug. However. You MUST do it when the oil is hot. Tried to do it when the car was sitting all day and it was a total pain in the ass. Makes it easy because the filter is right on top as well. Howver, I only use this on my BMW. My other cars need to be emptied using the drain plug.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Paul:

Dummer because I worked for Gulf, on the Ohio Turnpike, quit in 2

months. Didn"t agree with there Scam practices, The oil change method talked

about here. Check oil and short stick them , disconnect headlight while owner

was using bathroom, " Oh sir are you aware your rt. headlight is burnt out,Would

you like me to change it for you?" While checking oil ,using a knife to cut fan belt

a bit. I can go on an on. most of your pay was expected to be from Comm. on

practises like this Dave slap.gif

orthobiz
Dave: glad you're wiser now!
Jon: thanks for the pic.

I'll report back if I get a pump. After Dawn and hot water and scrubbing, the driveway looks halfway decent.

Paul
swl
pump is the only way of getting it out of my dd. I have a pump that is much simpler than Jon's - looks more like a hand op bilge pump. Slow process but it works and is reasonably clean. My car is designed for pump extraction - can't say if you can get down far enough in the Jetta to get the dregs out. Of course when you change the filter the dregs will find their way out there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.