Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aluminum fuel line
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LowGT

Is there any reason why aluminum tubing would be bad to use rather than SS tubing for the fuel line in the center tunnel? It's cheaper, and easy to bend.

I used aluminum on a previous 914 I had that had carbs and it worked great. Looking at the same project for my 1.8 L-jet, just curious why I don't see people using the aluminum tubing.

Dan
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(LowGT @ May 4 2008, 10:24 PM) *

Is there any reason why aluminum tubing would be bad to use rather than SS tubing for the fuel line in the center tunnel? It's cheaper, and easy to bend.

I used aluminum on a previous 914 I had that had carbs and it worked great. Looking at the same project for my 1.8 L-jet, just curious why I don't see people using the aluminum tubing.

Dan

You can't get into the tunnel to properly clamp the line so the aluminum will work harden and fracture in the tunnel. And gasoline leaking anywhere is very bad. And a car fire is much more expensive than some stainless tubing. BTDT!

Get the kit and replace it correctly. It's easy. You can even do it with the engine in the car.

LowGT
I thought the SS lines had to be clamped down as well to prevent work hardening?
PeeGreen 914
It's not like the SS kit is that much. It really is as easy to instal as it sounds. When I did mine my plastic lines were fine but I figured it is better safe than sorry wink.gif
ClayPerrine
There is a clamp next to the shifter in the tunnel. It will be enough for the stainless lines, but not for aluminum. That ease of bending applies to vibration too.
PeeGreen 914
Clamp? I thought it was just a little piece of metal that came down and kept the lines away from the shifter.
LowGT
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 4 2008, 10:47 PM) *

There is a clamp next to the shifter in the tunnel. It will be enough for the stainless lines, but not for aluminum. That ease of bending applies to vibration too.

Ah, makes sense. smile.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 4 2008, 10:49 PM) *

Clamp? I thought it was just a little piece of metal that came down and kept the lines away from the shifter.

It does that too. But it holds the lines still and keeps them from vibrating. I usually slit some fuel line and place it around the SS lines in the tunnel where the clamp holds them down.

PeeGreen 914
Anyone have a pic of where it goes.... I don't know if I got through the clamp when I put the new lines in.
iamchappy
I know i didn't bother to secure them in the tunnel. Looks like i have something more to do now.
LowGT
There are some tunnel pics here. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...1&hl=tunnel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.