Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spare Tire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
STL914
This question is aimed at those of you who have different width rims mounted,
like 8's in front and 9's in the rear on flared cars. If you carry a spare, what size do you carry?
SirAndy
QUOTE(STL914 @ May 4 2008, 07:36 PM) *

like 8's in front and 9's in the rear on flared cars. If you carry a spare, what size do you carry?

currently, i've got a 225/50 on a 15x7 rim but i'll be going smaller soon. i'd like to go to a 6" rim with a 185 or 195 tire so i can keep it in the rear trunk and still put away my targa top correctly ...
shades.gif Andy
ClayPerrine
I have one of the Porsche 15 inch collapsible spares. It is the same size as a 165SR-15 when inflated. And it matches both a 225/50-16 and a 245-45-16 in rolling diameter.

I am surprised that no one has made a beer belly spare tire joke yet.....
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 4 2008, 09:40 PM) *

QUOTE(STL914 @ May 4 2008, 07:36 PM) *

currently, i've got a 225/50 on a 15x7 rim but i'll be going smaller soon. i'd like to go to a 6" rim with a 185 or 195 tire so i can keep it in the rear trunk and still put away my targa top correctly ...
shades.gif Andy

Good idea!

Sorta like a retro space saver spare. Easy to limp along on it for while, though I am curious as to why you wouldn't keep it in the front.

Pat
PeeGreen 914
I carry the AAA kind... If I blow a tire I'd rather just replace it at the shop. I hate working on the side of the road on anything. Just to many dumb ass drivers to hit me.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 4 2008, 07:45 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 4 2008, 09:40 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

Good idea!

Sorta like a retro space saver spare. Easy to limp along on it for while, though I am curious as to why you wouldn't keep it in the front.

got the front mounted oil cooler to keep the 3.6L motor cool ...
happy11.gif Andy

iamchappy
105/95/17, but i would like to find a 16" collapsable to replace it with.
PRS914-6
964 space saver. Fits front and rear and over big brakes. Tool bag and jack inside. Still fits with large cooler
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ May 4 2008, 08:33 PM) *

Still fits with large cooler

not if you're going to vent out the hood ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
burton73
I built a bracket from a 914 A/C cover bracket. Welded it on the gas tank firewall in the same place as Paul. My Space-Saver is on a Fuchs 15” 6 to match my 8” and 9” 16 ‘s

I could find no 16” Space-Saver even on 16” cars of any brand. Andy, can’t you put a Fuchs in the back trunk?

Bob
SirAndy
QUOTE(burton73 @ May 4 2008, 09:18 PM) *

I could find no 16” Space-Saver even on 16” cars of any brand. Andy, can’t you put a Fuchs in the back trunk?

uhm, i never said anything about a space saver...
and yes, that's exactly what i said. i'm going to go with a 6" wheel and a 185 or 195 tire. no space saver needed ...

it's just that my current cookie cutter 7" with 225 tire is too wide and the top hits the tire and i can't lock the top into the rubber holders. the lid still closes (barely) but the top rubs on the tire.

so, going down to a 6" rim with a smaller tire should give me enough room to fit the top over it ...
bye1.gif Andy
johannes
Doesn't anywone leave the spare tire home (weight).
I never tested theese tire repair kits, is this a smart solution ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.