Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing Oil--sump screen question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kpfoten

Hi,

I've just recently bought a '73 1.7 and am changing the oil. I bought a sump screen gasket set, which has an additional copper washer (the same size as the silver washer for the bolt for the plate).

Dumb question--what is the copper washer for? Is there a separate drain plug (next to the sump screen plate) that is strictly for draining oil?

Thanks! (Sorry, I'm a newbie and don't have a Haynes yet)

Kris
SirAndy
QUOTE(kpfoten @ May 4 2008, 07:51 PM) *

I've just recently bought a '73 1.7 and am changing the oil. I bought a sump screen gasket set, which has an additional copper washer (the same size as the silver washer for the bolt for the plate).

Dumb question--what is the copper washer for? Is there a separate drain plug (next to the sump screen plate) that is strictly for draining oil?

Thanks! (Sorry, I'm a newbie and don't have a Haynes yet)

yes, there is a drain plug. no need to undo the sump plate to change the oil ...
shades.gif Andy
championgt1
Quick question Andy. How often should the sump be pulled to clean the screen? Just wondering.

Thanks
ericread
Andy, since you have been asked about the screen... I thought there is some controversy about this. I believe Jake Raby has said that the screen is not necessary. In fact I believe Jake said he recommends they be removed because should they foul, it will starve your engine of oil, not a good situation.

I haev left mine in place, for now. Your comments would be appreciated.
kpfoten

My screen looked great--a little sludge on the surface of the plate, but not too bad.

Thanks for the info-

Kris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.