Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: I lost my best 4-legged friend tonight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
Man, this sucks.... My wife and I are so sad tonight, we lost our oldest dashund tonight. I have (2) dashunds, Lucky and Dusty. Lucky is the swimmer in the family and Dusty loves to run. Well after my wife and I went out to lunch and a movie, I came back home and took Lucky swimming. I'd throw the float in the pool for Lucky to retrieve and throw the other float outside the pool for Dusty to retrieve. After swimming, Lucky was having a hard time breathing. We went inside and he couldn't get his breath. I sat with him for about 10-15 minutes, then he threw up blood. At that time my wife and I grabbed him and headed to the emergency room for animals. While waiting at the last traffic light, he suddenly when limp. I gave him mouth to snout breathing and he came back. As soon as I got the car door open he started vomiting blood, alot. We got him inside and he was still bleeding. The nurse and doctor took him to the back, while we waited up front. The doctor came back and suggested we might consider putting him down because it appeared he had congenital heart conditon. We decided to go with the IV, oxygen-tent and x-rays. The x-rays showed he had some fluid in his lungs, but there was still some air capacity, so we decided to do what we could. The doctor was encouraged and if he would make it through the night, we could put him on medicine to control the heart condition. We left about 8:00 pm, but got a call at 9:30 pm that he had passed away..... sad.gif

This is a terrible night and my wife and I are at a loss. Our youngest doesn't know what's going on, these two have rarely spent a night apart...

I will miss him tremendously.... He was our watch dog/protector and my best friend.... Rest in peace Lucky thanks for all of the unconditional love... wub.gif

Click to view attachment

Here's Dusty and Lucky this past Christmas...

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
PeeGreen 914
Sorry for your loss Rob. I hope the memories live on forever. I know they do of my childhood dog.
iamchappy
I feel for ya man , the griefing of the loss of a pet is as hard and can be even harder than the loss of a human.
quadracerx
Man thats really sad....But I understand...I have a German Sheperd that has been with me for 15 years....she is getting old...has trouble walking, still is happy but I know that I will need to make a decision sometime soon....Just hoping for one last summer with her if possible....

Sorry for your loss....take care and love the other dog and help him to get over the loss too...

Steve
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 4 2008, 08:06 PM) *

I feel for ya man , the griefing of the loss of a pet is as hard and can be even harder than the loss of a human.

Boy, isn't that the truth. Having lost 4 footed animal companions before, I know how your heart must ache. I'm sorry.

Paul
BMXerror
Sorry man! I know all too well how hard that can be. My four legged friend Camaya was a rather flawed individual with a rough background.... We got along great! She was technically the family dog, but her and I were buddies, and it was my decision to have her put down after her stroke. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to put into words. I feel your hurt, man. sad.gif
Mark D.
championgt1
You have some great looking friends. Sorry for your loss. sad.gif
Eric_Shea
sad.gif Dogs are the best.
porschecb
I am so sorry for your loss sad.gif I have two dogs but did have three at one point.
MrKona
Sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. Most of us have been there, just a shared experience I guess... It'll get better, but it will take time.
dw914er
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 4 2008, 10:04 PM) *

sad.gif Dogs are the best.

true that

It is always sad when they go becasue they are so much a part of the family
watsonrx13
Thanks for all of the words of comfort, it really helps.... I haven't slept much tonight...

Dogs are the best and he was a big part of our family.... I'm going to miss him so much.... sad.gif

-- Rob
zymurgist
I'm so sorry to hear this... dogs have a way of squirming into your heart, and one doesn't always realize this until they leave us. Mine is 13, so I have this creeping fear of having to face that day, probably sooner rather than later.
smontanaro
I know how you feel. We lost our shepherd/lab mix to cancer at 14. She was older than our youngest son. They definitely become part of the family.

Skip
davep
Our condolences, we really know what you are going through. We have lost several cats and a couple of dogs so far. We have a gang of mini poodles at home, and the old boy at 14 years is now having what I think is dementia. Usually he sleeps on the bed at night, but the last two nights he has gone off into the kitchen and barks. Nothing will make him settle down, he will just look at you and bark. I think that he and his son are due in short order. His son was abused by the owners ex, and has had a multitude of troubles. We got him back over a year ago, but the end is in sight now.
toon1
sorry to hear about your puppy that's a sad story
Cevan
I'm so sorry for your loss. Yesterday, we had to put our 5 year old Australian cattle dog Bella down. We got her just over a year ago from a rescue shelter. Awesome dog with unlimited energy, about the only thing that would keep up with our 5 year old son. She was also having trouble breathing. X-Rays showed fluid all around her lungs and what the vet thought was cancerous spots all over her lungs. She'll be missed.
Ferg
sad.gif Sorry for your loss, My Callie went last year, I'm still not ready for another.
Ferg
rfuerst911sc
I have two doxies they are great dogs. We all have been thru this pain, each day gets a little better. Hang in there.
Eric_Shea
sad.gif Dogs are the best... bummin for ya bud.
scotty b
agree.gif My black lab is 15 now, she has liver cancer and I fear everyday I'm gonna come home to the worst. Somehow no matter how much bigger the tumor gets she just keeps on plugging along. I know it's soon though sad.gif Gonna hurt bad
Jenny
Oh, Rob... I'm so sorry to hear about Lucky. He surely was a celebrated member of your family. I don't know what to say... your recount has touched me very deeply. I have two beagles of my own, and really love doxies as well. Seanery also lost Brembo just the other day. It's a sad time.. Brian and I will keep your family and Lucky in our prayers. I'm so sorry for your loss.

-Jenny
Jenny
remember Rainbow Bridge dog.gif

-Jen
watsonrx13
Thanks again everyone for your kind words.... I'm still crying, but no tears are forming now... I just wish that we could had more of a notice that he was this sick... He loved to swim and with the warm weather it's the perfect time of the year for us to play in the pool... BTW, he was 12 and we've had him since he was 7 weeks old... My father-in-law lost his doxie last year, he was 22 years old....

My wife has it the hardest. She works from home and we have at least 200 ceramic doxies through out the house. And since Lucky was our oldest, his pictures are everywhere, it's even the photo on her cell phone...

We'll get through this, and I know that time will heal, but it's been really difficult. Right now, it's only been 23 hours since his death.... sad.gif

I normally don't post personal stuff but this has really helped deal with the loss...

-- Rob
swl
Dogs are such wonderful creatures. They give their all to us and ask only that we love them back. Take comfort in knowing that his last hours were spent doing what he loved to do with those he loved to be with.
Tom
Rob,
Sorry to hear of your loss. I know what you are going thru. I lost two kitties last year to old age and illness and two weeks ago had to put down my 14 year old sheppard. Probably the hardest year I have ever had. Still gets me from time to time. Many wonderful memories of these special family members.
Tom
watsonrx13
Well, my wife found the oldest pictures of my boy when he was a little puppy.... Rest in peace little one, thanks for the memories Luckster.... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
flippa
Rob

Sorry for your loss.
Allan
Bummer...

So sorry to here you lost a friend. sad.gif
Pnambic
Yup, its gonna be hard for a bit. I've lost two Australian Shepherds over the last 7 years or so. Both well before their time. Both outstanding and unique personalities. One, I had the opportunity to kind of say good bye as she got real sick real fast, but I at least had a couple days. Cost me several thousand dollars for those couple days, but I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. The second was such a shock...he was shot by someone who we think was trying to steal my 914 (which didn't even have an engine in it at the time...). I still can't say I've made my peace with that one. Miss them both dearly. We went a while without a dog, but the wife eventually talked me into another.

Collect up the photos (and if any of you reading this have a dog currently, make sure to get them in pictures while you can). Those memories you can cherish forever, but the photos make them easier to remember and celebrate with others.
Gint
Sorry Rob. sad.gif
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Pnambic @ May 6 2008, 07:08 PM) *

Yup, its gonna be hard for a bit. I've lost two Australian Shepherds over the last 7 years or so. Both well before their time. Both outstanding and unique personalities. One, I had the opportunity to kind of say good bye as she got real sick real fast, but I at least had a couple days. Cost me several thousand dollars for those couple days, but I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. The second was such a shock...he was shot by someone who we think was trying to steal my 914 (which didn't even have an engine in it at the time...). I still can't say I've made my peace with that one. Miss them both dearly. We went a while without a dog, but the wife eventually talked me into another.

Collect up the photos (and if any of you reading this have a dog currently, make sure to get them in pictures while you can). Those memories you can cherish forever, but the photos make them easier to remember and celebrate with others.

Absolutely about the pictures. My wife has at least (3) photo albums full... I've finally stopped constantly crying and I'm dealing with the loss of my best friend. I'm in the phase of working hard to remember him, but the pictures really reaffirm his memories. We're working and spending an extra amount of time with our other dog, Dusty, also a doxie. He was Lucky's posse, so I'm trying to fill the leader/mentor position... He definately has a more laid back personality, but still a very special, loving dog... And I have several pictures on my cloth-covered cube at work, with no expectation of taking them down...

Thanks again everyone for your support... smile.gif

-- Rob
krazykonrad
Thoughts and prayers, man! I know if wee lost our dachshund, i would just lose it.

Konrad
tdgray
Absolutely terrible... I feel for ya.

We almost lost our Cocker this year when she got pnemonia (sp) after our doxie came home with kennel cough. I was in tears just thinking it was going to happen.

It was just six years ago that I had to put my other Cocker down and I don't think I could go through that again this soon.

Grieve well my friend and remember the good times. sad2.gif

watsonrx13
Well, today is the one week anniversary of Lucky's passing. The week has been difficult but everyone has been so understanding and again I'd like to thank everyone on this board for their positive comments....

This is a bitter sweet posting, because it's my 1955, which is the year I was born...

Lucky will continue to be missed by his immediate family, but we will survive and move on with life....

-- Rob
zymurgist
Lucky sounds like an appropriate name; it's evident that he was well and truly loved.
carr914
Rob, Sorry for your loss.

T.C.
evan
sad.gif rob, my thoughts and prayers go out to your wife and you. I know how hard it is to lose a four legged member of the family. lost my boxer after 13 years when i was younger. she was even hit by a car and survived without a scratch.
So now I am burdened with the choice of whether to get a dog for my five year old daughter or not. the wife is not an animal lover...
its not the same but you'll always have the memories.
bean 914
evan
plymouth37
I am so sorry for your loss, Hang in there.
Dana. sad.gif
degreeoff
I too am sorry my friend. I have two siberian's and they depend on each other as well as us. I hope your other dog is doing well too. I am seriously thinking about a 3d dog for just that reason as we all know that pets are a series of mini tragedies (to quote George Carlin)

It is painful I know (as I have lost many pets in 36yrs) but they are worth it for all that unconditional love and companionship.

Josh
elwood-914
Sorry about your friend. I have loved dogs since I was a child, they leave much too soon. ALWAYS glad to see you when you get home from work.
Get another dog for Dusty.
I have a dobe/ lab mix. Wonderful loving dog, but she had a stroke last year and is not in good health. A neighbors relation found a stray border collie/ queensland mix. The old girl "tolerates" him but I think she really loves him and they are always together. I think it gave her new life to take care of a younger dog.
nsr-jamie
I'm very sorry for your loss. We have a miniture Dashound here too and I couldn't even think of what it would be like with out him. He is part of the Family and my best friend. Dogs are great!! After a bad day at work, I come home and my dog actually cheers me up. Take care

This is my dog, his name is Buddy

IPB Image
watsonrx13
Well, Lucky is back home now.... We went to the emergency clinic to pick up the urn with his remains... I'm still sad, but he's back with us again and forever....

Thanks again Luckster for all you've done for our family....you will be missed...sad.gif

Click to view attachment
wbergtho
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog! I know how much the little fella meant to you. I still miss my dog that died about 4 years ago. I actually got emotional reading your post. Hang in there brother.
DipShit
Click to view attachmentI lost my best friend last September due to a sudden anurism. Really hurt. She loved riding in the 914.
DipShit
Best advice is to get another and move on. That's what I did.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.