Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High Idle w/ rebuilt carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JBart
I just had a set of 40's rebuilt for my 72'1.7 . A buddy of mine that knows webers like the back of his hand rebuilt them and we put them on today but the car won't idle down below 1800< > when he adjusted the mixture screw the car wouldn't even die . I don't have the smarts for carbs so bear with me . Thanks for your input ahead of time

Thanks,
jbart
KaptKaos
Make sure your linkage isn't binding and preventing the carbs from sitting on the idle screws.

Make sure your throttle return springs are on and working well.

Check your idle screws and make sure that they are backed out all the way.

What's your timing set at?
ConeDodger
The manifolds can leak too...
JBart
We checked for leaks there doesn't seem to be any and he's adjusting the carbs with just the hex bar on but the throtle cable is not hooked up he's even taking the linkage off at the carbs . I'll check my timing tonight when i get home .

Thanks,
jbart
rhodyguy
with the cable disconnected and the pass side idle SPEED screw backed completely off the stop, try to pull the idle down using the driver's idle speed screw. you then need to measure the air flow on the 2 forward venturis of the carbs. one side will prob read higher than the other. using the threaded rods, match the flow side to side.

k
KaptKaos
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 4 2008, 11:10 PM) *

The manifolds can leak too...

DOH! You'd think I would have mentioned that as that was a huge issue for me that I just recently fixed!!

Also, make sure that your air bypass valves are all the way in. That lets extra air in as well.
JBart
Going out to work on her right now and as far as the air reads the lft. frnt reads 7 and the rght frnt reads 20 but won't come down YET . When i check my timing are the carbs being out of adjustment going to give me a false timing read? I know they are two different things but I am to check the timing at 3000 RPMs correct ?

Thanks,
jbart
r_towle
Check left front and rear....should be the same.
Check right front and rear...should be the same.

From there, disconnect the hex bar and drop links.
Use both idle screws to get the carbs to match perfectly.
If you can do that, its the linkage that is you issue.
If you cannot get the carbs to match using just the idle screws, your carbs are not setup the same, or you have an air leak on the side that shows the lowest number.

Rich
KaptKaos
QUOTE(JBart @ May 5 2008, 04:25 PM) *

as far as the air reads the lft. frnt reads 7 and the rght frnt reads 20

At idle that right front is way too high. Something is not correct here.

Have you confirmed that your jets and venturis are all the same on all barrels?

Confirm that your idle screws are backed out all the way and disconnect the throttle linkage. The numbers on the gauge should be much closer.

Physically inspect the linkage. Make sure that there is no pressure on the throttle to open when the linkage is at full closed.

Also, check your throttle plates and make sure nothing is amiss.

Take picks and post them. Someone may spot something.
JBart
A BIG Thanks to everybody who chimed in!!!!!!! I traded these carbs from someone here at WORLD for a set of 44's that no biggie only thing was the linkage on the carbs were after market so the butterflys on the bottom were not closing all the way changed them out and holy cow what a differance. Notice there was no name dropping that's because it wasn't his fault and and now the car runs SWEET at idle tommorrow maybe I can get it out of the garage and it still run under load.

Thanks,
jbart

PS
Thanks GINT biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.