Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust stud nut
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
Pulling the late model exhaust off my 4. Six of the eight nuts are no trouble, but those forward outer ones are too close to the header pipe to get a socket on. What do you use? Can you get a thin-walled socket at the FLAPS that's thin enough to get on there?
arvcube
QUOTE(Rand @ May 4 2008, 10:37 PM) *

Pulling the late model exhaust off my 4. Six of the eight nuts are no trouble, but those forward outer ones are too close to the header pipe to get a socket on. What do you use? Can you get a thin-walled socket at the FLAPS that's thin enough to get on there?

Try using a deep socket, extension and wratchet that's 1/4". That's what I used. good luck
lagunero
QUOTE(arvcube @ May 4 2008, 11:30 PM) *

Try using a deep socket, extension and wratchet that's 1/4". That's what I used. good luck

Same, but I had to ground the socket down a bit.
bperry
I had the same problem about 10 years ago. I went to Sears and bought
a deep socket. Some of them have much thinner walls than others.
I was able to find one that had very thin walls.

--- bill
URY914
The thin walled sockets are the cheap ones (less metal=cheap) but be careful they will split on you. Buy several.
rjames
PM sent Rand, I have one you can borrow that worked well for me.

Joe Bob
Can you get a box end wrench in there? I've bent a few into an "S" curve and that works.....are they 12mm or 13?
Rand
13mm, and I thought about bending a wrench but it doesn't like like it will fit up in there. I'll look again.

I think I'll grind down an old socket. If that breaks I'll go buy a couple of cheap thin deep sockets and grind if necessary.

Robert, if you happen to be over this way tonight give me a buzz.

Thanks gang!
SGB
Squeeze a flat-head screwdriver in there and pry it out a little. The HE will push over a small amount.
Dave_Darling
I was (barely) able to use a 1/4" drive Craftsman socket to remove the exhaust nuts, back when I still had the original 13mm ones on the car. The replacement 12mm nuts are easier.

On some 10mm nuts, I have found that my Snap-On 1/4" drive socket is slightly thinner than the Craftsman. I would assume the 13mm would similarly be thinner.

--DD
SirAndy
sawzall-smiley.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.