Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Cooler modification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ericv1
Is a 90 degree oil cooler modification absolutely necessary? Thanks, Eric
sww914
Yes, if the line comes out straight it interferes with the trailing arm. There isn't room for a 90 deg fitting in there.
SLITS
I have a conversion where they cut the inlet pipe on the cooler about halfway back to the flange and welded (heliarced) a straight AN fitting on it. They then ran a straight AN fitting off of it with SS hose to the tank.

I'll pull it off the engine and sell it to ya! Bottom of the cooler is dinged from the wrenches they use to break the fitting for an oil change. I'll be replacing it with one that has the mod done.

Find a stock /6 cooler or have the mod done.
Joe Bob
I just slip the hose over the cut end and clamp it.....I then use THAT to drain the oil on oil changes....
SLITS
QUOTE(Joe Mama @ May 5 2008, 01:19 PM) *

I just slip the hose over the cut end and clamp it.....I then use THAT to drain the oil on oil changes....

Yeh, but yer just a santa BARBARIAN .... no class biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
Just remove the tube completely and put an AN fitting directly into the plate. Then put a AN T fitting on that and point the extra end down and cap it.

Now you have a way to drain the oil without removing the line.

Ericv1
Thanks for the advice. I have another question though. The engine is coded as a 69 911E. Will this flywheel be compatible with my 1.8 clutch? Thanks, Eric

Clay I'm pretty sure you'r familiar with the car. I bought it from Doug Gault out of Texas in January. He mentioned you helped him quite a bit. Eric
sww914
That's the flywheel that you need, the 2.0 flywheel that's dished for the 901 clutch, not flat like the 915 clutch.
Ericv1
QUOTE(sww914 @ May 5 2008, 05:07 PM) *

That's the flywheel that you need, the 2.0 flywheel that's dished for the 901 clutch, not flat like the 915 clutch.

The teeth where the starter engages came off when I took the pressure plate off. They were held in with the pressure plate retaining bolts. So my 1.8 p-plate will mate up to this flywheel? Thanks, Eric
sww914
Can you post a pic? My 2.0 flywheel's teeth are integral. Here's a pic of one from Pelican Parts.
brant
your 4 cylinder (1.8, but all 4 cylinders) flywheel is held to the motor with 5 bolts.

the flywheel that originally came with that 69E was held to that crank with 6 bolts.

if you have the flywheel still on your donor motor, then you are golden and that is the correct one.

if you had a later motor, or a motor without flywheel included... then you would have to buy one from any 911 (6bolt) from 1965-1969

I highly recommend that if its removed you replace all 6 bolts ($100) and if worn the bolt retaining ring ($50)

there is a lot of debate about reusing those bolts.
the factory claims (and many experts support) that they are literally 1 time use items.

if the flywheel is still bolted to the motor then don't unbolt it... just use it.

brant
Joe Bob
Kennedy Engineered Products...love em or hate them....makes flywheels. They will do a conversion set up for virtually any Porsche motor you want to hook up to a 901/915/930/G50 trans.

I personally have never had a failure....the Krusty one has a hard on for them, but I've dealt with them since the 70s. They also will sell a matched clutch, TO and pressure plate.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 5 2008, 12:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Joe Mama @ May 5 2008, 01:19 PM) *

Yeh, but yer just a santa BARBARIAN .... no class biggrin.gif

Pull my finger..... blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.