Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Junkyard VIN's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hcdmueller
I found these today while searching for some parts for my wife's car. I thought someone here would like to get these.

They are sitting in a junk yard in Illinois next to Gateway International Raceway.

VIN Paint Chassis
4742901111 L13K 3459535
4742912618 L30E 0239551
4732917167 L32K 1219587
4722904925 L30E 4559610

The 72 is in fairly good shape. The passenger rear suspension area needs work but the longs and the hellhole are not too bad. It has the early light doors too. If I lived in the US I would turn it into a race car but I have no where to put it until I get back so it stays there. If anyone needs some parts there are some useful things left.
davep
Thanks very much. Very useful.
Eric_Shea
Cut them out! Let's preserve the Mark. (it's all in the intent) biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ May 5 2008, 03:04 PM) *

They are sitting in a junk yard in Illinois next to Gateway International Raceway.

VIN Paint Chassis
4742901111 L13K 3459535
4742912618 L30E 0239551
4732917167 L32K 1219587
4722904925 L30E 4559610

added to the VIN database! thank you sir ...
beerchug.gif Andy
Zimms
Did any of these have good bumpers, bumper tops, or windshields?

Thanks,

Mark
GaroldShaffer
Andy,

You can add vin

4732908131 to the list sad.gif I will get the paint code tomorrow.
hcdmueller
Mark,

There were a lot of good body parts. Hoods and doors. 4 gas tanks that probably just need cleaning. No bumper tops and only two rear bumpers that had seen better days. A lot of good windshield trim and at least 3 good windshields.

Chris
davep
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 5 2008, 07:26 PM) *

4732908131 to the list I will get the paint code tomorrow.

Don't forget the body #. Get the date code if possible, and the engine size or # if you can.

It is very useful to tie the VIN, body #, date code and paint codes together.
Knowing the engine type for '73 and later is also useful.
type47
what is the policy of adding VIN's if they are not your cars? i have some -6 VIN's but i don't think it's up to me to add them or maybe not even proper for me to add them. i'm a -6 VIN collector ( blink.gif ), sorta, that is, if i see a -6, i usually record the VIN out of interest. i don't want to do anything wrong or even illegal.
ericread
I believe VINs are considered public information, and no expectation of privacy regarding any car's VIN should be expected. They must remain visible from the outside of the car.

Assuming my information is correct, I do not believe adding the VINs to the World database creates any legal or moral liability.

Not an attorney, just my $.02.
SirAndy
QUOTE(type47 @ May 6 2008, 07:44 AM) *

what is the policy of adding VIN's if they are not your cars? i have some -6 VIN's but i don't think it's up to me to add them or maybe not even proper for me to add them. i'm a -6 VIN collector ( blink.gif ), sorta, that is, if i see a -6, i usually record the VIN out of interest. i don't want to do anything wrong or even illegal.

i don't think there's a legal issue here. VINs are clearly visible from the outside to anyone who cares to look at a car ...

if you don't mind, i'd like to add the VINs you have to our database! the more the better. the goal is to create the most comprehensive database out there ...

please PM or Email them to me, if you feel like sharing your information.
beerchug.gif Andy
davep
I agree with Eric & Andy that there is no real issue with the VIN's.
One thing though, a VIN by itself is nearly useless information until it is tied to another piece of information. If all the data you have on the car is the VIN, then we would at least like to know the status of the car (running, roller, scrap, etc) and the location it is found in (state level if not the city). Getting really useful data like the paint code, DOT date, and body # require a fair degree of access.
type47
QUOTE(davep @ May 6 2008, 01:26 PM) *

a VIN by itself is nearly useless information until it is tied to another piece of information. If all the data you have on the car is the VIN, then we would at least like to know the status of the car (running, roller, scrap, etc) and the location it is found in (state level if not the city).

my information is pretty much only what is listed in an ad. i did copy asking price, location (probably only state), color if listed in the ad, and the source of the info (ie, panorama, or hershey swap meet or magazine source) and the date of the siting or ad. no color codes (but color if in ad) etc. unfortunately, it's in a mac format clarisworks DB file. even a powermac....

PS, i do have the DB on a 3.5" disc...
jaminM3
I have been keeping every VIN I come accros in an excel file. This includes chassis, date, and Color codes. I think I have close to 250 chassis numbers, but I don't know how many are duplicates in the World database. I put a little note and save the pictures from every one also. So far, the date code is very consistent with the VIN#. I haven't seen any out of order, but chassies every once in a while.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.