Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: D-Jet issue and headlight relay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom
Well,
You ever heard the expression " if it's running good, leave it alone?"
I didn't heed this and since I had those nice boots from Swedish Treasures, I took the FI harness out and put the new boots on. Looks nice, but now the car is missing on one or two cylinders. I tagged all of the connectors, so I know I hooked it back up right. Guess I'll have to pull the FI harness again and trouble shoot it. Darn wires are so brittle from the heat. I know Jeff makes a great one, but I just want to do my own. Anyone know where to get the small female connectors or a PT number for them?
Another electrical grimlin. Put in new headlight relay and now it won't go from low to high beam at all. At least before it was energizing the relay, now nothing. Also this new relay came with 5 connections and the old one had 4. Anyone seen this?
Thanks,
Tom
r_towle
On the FI issue.
Get your glasses out and some good light.
Make sure you seated all the male plugs into the plastic end piece....just did this...I actually switched from the old rubber retainers to the newer blue clips...but the same issue.
One of the plug ends did not seat correctly in the plastic end piece.
I took out the offending metal end, used a small screw driver and bent up the tab that holds it in place...and snapped it back in.
All better now.

On the relay, you may have gotten the wrong part number...it happens.

Rich
swl
Brittle harnesses are a pain in the tush. I like Rich's approach. That which is the most simple is also the most likely. Failing that, I like doing the trouble shooting from the ecu end. Yes - you are handling another part of the harness putting it at risk too but if you are careful you can do it without injury to the harness. Measuring at the ecu checks everything in the cct - harness, injector and ground. Works well.

After the injector test next most like is the trigger point harness, connection if you were down in that area at all - that could cause the loss of two cylinders with the other two working well. Again, can be measured from the ecu end.
r_towle
I just assume that whatever he touched (rubber boots) was the issue.
It always is for me...

Rich
swl
yup.
Cap'n Krusty
The relay has to have a jumper installed. I don't have one in front of me to look at, but the extra pin gets voltage from the supply voltage pin. The 4 pin relay has been NLA for over 25 years. The Cap'n
Tom
Thanks Cap'n,
I figured something like this must be the problem. Relay from Pelican, so I know it is the right one. I'll make up a jumper and put it in.
Tom
sean_v8_914
jumper 56 to 30
Tom
Thanks Sean. I will be trying that this weekend.
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.