Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
STP
So I was driving on 580 today when, out of nowhere, a rock came up and smacked into my windsheild trim severely pitting it and cracking the windshield. It wasn't bad at first but by the time I got home the crack had advanced almost all the way down on both sides of the windshield.

Anyway, I need a new one. Can anyone in the SF bay area refer me to a glass guy that has done work on your 914 that was reliable and reasonable?

Thanks a lot,

-Sean

IPB Image
IPB Image
STP
QUOTE(STP @ May 5 2008, 05:19 PM) *

So I was driving on 580 today when, out of nowhere, a rock came up and smacked into my windsheild trim severely pitting it and cracking the windshield. It wasn't bad at first but by the time I got home the crack had advanced almost all the way down on both sides of the windshield.

Anyway, I need a new one. Can anyone in the SF bay area refer me to a glass guy that has done work on your 914 that was reliable and reasonable?

Thanks a lot,

-Sean

IPB Image
IPB Image

Anybody?
7TPorsh
Got mine here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-76-Por...sspagenameZWDVW

He has local distributors where you can pick it up.

If link doesn't work, search 914 windshield on ebay.
SirAndy
PM McMark ... i forget the name of the glass guy, but he installed my windshield at McMark's shop ... he did a great job and it wasn't expensive either ...

beerchug.gif Andy

STP
Will do. Thanks for the lead.
McMark
Here's the info:

Tim @ TNT Auto Glass
Phone: (707) 259-1330
STP

Thanks a lot. I'll give him a call.
ruddyboys
Had a hack put in mine, how can I remove it without cracking it
SirAndy
QUOTE(ruddyboys @ May 7 2008, 12:46 PM) *

windshield remover tool ...
shades.gif Andy
7TPorsh
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 6 2008, 05:20 PM) *

PM McMark ... i forget the name of the glass guy, but he installed my windshield at McMark's shop ... he did a great job and it wasn't expensive either ...

beerchug.gif Andy

Looks like you painted the border. Did he do that? Are you using the stock alum. trim?
SirAndy
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ May 7 2008, 01:56 PM) *

Looks like you painted the border. Did he do that? Are you using the stock alum. trim?

McMark painted the border. you can get special "self etching" paint for just that purpose. you'll have to leave a little cutout for the VIN so it'll still be visible. make sure you measure the position of the cutout correctly ( poke.gif ) biggrin.gif

i went with black rubber instead of the chrome trim ...
shades.gif Andy
jd74914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 7 2008, 04:12 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

There was a thread on this a few days ago. Go very slowly with some piano wire and saw through the adhesive. Don't put much pressure on the windshield or it will break. If you go slow they aren't too hard to get out. smile.gif
7TPorsh
QUOTE(jd74914 @ May 7 2008, 03:12 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 7 2008, 04:12 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

There was a thread on this a few days ago. Go very slowly with some piano wire and saw through the adhesive. Don't put much pressure on the windshield or it will break. If you go slow they aren't too hard to get out. smile.gif

yes be very careful. I broke mine doing with a thin hacksaw blade. headbang.gif
Ended up hammering the whole thing out. I was amazed that there is a solid piece of plastic sheeting inbetween the 2 layers of glass; not just gel .
McMark
This tool is the only one I trust to safely remove windshields. Lots of control and extremely effective. If you're planning on reusing your glass, this is only way to go. Available from Amazon search for 'windshield removal tool' and select from a few suppliers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.