Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator Belt Replacement Procedure 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kpfoten

Hi,

Are there any good threads regarding replacing the alternator belt on a 1.7?

I'm trying to figure out how to do it (sans manual) and am not sure where to start--I think I have to remove the front panel from inside the engine compartment?

Thanks,

Kris
kpfoten
Whoa--easier than I thought... Mirror is a big help--didn't realize the front was open.

k

QUOTE(kpfoten @ May 5 2008, 06:05 PM) *

Hi,

Are there any good threads regarding replacing the alternator belt on a 1.7?

I'm trying to figure out how to do it (sans manual) and am not sure where to start--I think I have to remove the front panel from inside the engine compartment?

Thanks,

Kris

r_towle
there are two bolts.
Underneath the car is the lower bolt that hold that alternator...its a pivot bolt. You can see the head (looks like a carriage bolt head) in the top of the engine compartment right under the alternator pulley.
Get under the car with a 13mm wrench and loosen that nut...not much or it becomes un seated and its hard to tighten without help.

Up top again...there is an oval cover facing the drivers side of the car, just behind the aluminum fan housing. Grab the tab, pull the cover towards that tab (up or down) and the cover will unhook from the tin.
Under that cover is the adjuster.
Now the fun one. The bolt is facing the front of the car, another cover to remove, same as the last, but just around the corner.
Once removed you need an allen wrench to loosen that bolt..
Once the two bolts are loose, I use a large screw driver through the hole facing the side to lever the alternator to put on/take off/tighten the belt.
Then while holding the lever tight, you have to tighten the allen head bolt. It takes two hands and no looking...just push and tighten...

Check the belt to make sure its tight, then go back under the car and tighten the pivot bolt as tight as you can.

Rich
kpfoten

Much thanks!

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 5 2008, 07:57 PM) *

there are two bolts.
Underneath the car is the lower bolt that hold that alternator...its a pivot bolt. You can see the head (looks like a carriage bolt head) in the top of the engine compartment right under the alternator pulley.
Get under the car with a 13mm wrench and loosen that nut...not much or it becomes un seated and its hard to tighten without help.

Up top again...there is an oval cover facing the drivers side of the car, just behind the aluminum fan housing. Grab the tab, pull the cover towards that tab (up or down) and the cover will unhook from the tin.
Under that cover is the adjuster.
Now the fun one. The bolt is facing the front of the car, another cover to remove, same as the last, but just around the corner.
Once removed you need an allen wrench to loosen that bolt..
Once the two bolts are loose, I use a large screw driver through the hole facing the side to lever the alternator to put on/take off/tighten the belt.
Then while holding the lever tight, you have to tighten the allen head bolt. It takes two hands and no looking...just push and tighten...

Check the belt to make sure its tight, then go back under the car and tighten the pivot bolt as tight as you can.

Rich

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.