Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: any interested in an scam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/car/663860083.html

1973 Porsche 914 - $7900

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-663860083@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-05-01, 4:01PM EDT
This car has a lot of unique features and upgrades, so this will be a fairly long listing. Its basically the ultimate daily driver 914. Lots of power, A/C, Heat, power windows, great stereo, and it gets decent mileage. Its also very light and nimble.
The six in this 914-6 is a balanced and blueprinted Buick V6. Its basically a big bore naturally aspirated Grand National motor that was originally intended to go in a bracket race car. The race team ended up moving up in class and never raced the motor. It started life with a 4.1L block instead of the more common 3.8L to maximize torque and horsepower. The extra torque means you can easily take off from a stand still in 2nd gear just like a V8 914.
Its a perfect fit for a 914 and doesnt require moving the transaxle back or cutting a recess for the distributor like a V8 conversion. Its also much lighter than a V8 and is capable of well over 300 horsepower. I got the motor in full race trim, but made several changes to make it suitable as a daily driver. Race cars dont have to idle in traffic or get decent fuel economy. After a lot of work the result is a completely streetable, reliable, pleasant sounding engine that delivers both power and economy. The current setup sacrifices some peak horsepower, but more than makes up for it in good manners and a usable power band. It's very pleasent car to drive around town, but when you put your foot down it's extremely fast.
Incidentally the holley race carb is included with the car, but after driving the car I doubt youll want to change anything. Heres the spec list I got for the engine, it currently has about 1000 miles on it. It doesnt just have Kenne Bell valve covers, many of his parts are used internally.

-4.1L block internally polished and flowed, oil passages enlarged

-Turbo crank with enlarged oil passages

-High volume oil pump

-double roller timing chain and cam button

-Kenne Bell cam, lifters, pushrods

-Fully ported cylinder heads and oversized valves

-Fully ported intake manifold

-Compression approx. 9.5:1

released in 1996 A box set including the 2CD plus a VHS with all of FLA's video clips to date (except Mindphaser and Body Count ) and a live concert video (from the show in Chemnitz 1995 different from the one on CD) was released at the same timeThe status of the king (and queen) of Airghialla was such that they sat beside the High King at Tara at great gatherings and his sword was allowed to touch the High Kings hand - a sign of trust The larger kingdoms territory decreased as the area took on a more) and permit only pedestrian and bicycle traffic (during certain hours only in Ocean Beach) For off-season use there are a limited number of driving permits for year-round residents and contractors The hamlet ofHis reign occurred prior to the formation of the NWA and the title being renamed the NWA World Heavyweight Championshipthe right granted by the copyright holder for a given person or entity to broadcast recreate perform or listen to a recorded copy of a copyrighted workMusic licensing is intended to ensure that the creators of musical works get paid for their work A purchaser of recorded music owns the media on which the music is stored not the music itself A purchaser has limited rights to use and reproduce the recorded work) Home video release of a number of television series and films have also been delayed and occasionally cancelled for this reason (for examplehe was again imprisoned with his fellow convicts after joining Mammoth Mogul's new group-though Bean actually seemed to find the experience fun Aside from his joining in on the jeers when Sonic and Tails fought each other in the cell block where he and the others were held (most notably his shout of That was awesome! How do your glutes feel(WLM) demonstration the Miss America Protest in Atlantic City NJ on September 7 1968 The final national WLM event to occur with the NYRW group still intact was theHardtack Teak 1958 Altitude August 1 Communication Earth High-frequency High altitude nuclear explosion Ionosphere Megaton Military history of the United States /

i email seller this ...
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/car/663860083.html
where is this car located?
jim

his reply ...

Hello,
I am emailing you regarding the 1973 Porsche 914 that I have for sale. The
vehicle looks and works perfect. As you see it has a lot of options. No
hidden problems and never involved in any kind of accidents, 21,768 miles.
Since the car was listed on eBay.com I prefer closing the transaction trough
their system because we are both protected. If you don't know how the eBay
Vehicle Purchase Protection Program does work please let me know so I can
help you. I used it several times (as a seller but as well as a buyer) and
everything was perfect. The vehicle was inspected by eBay. As well, shipping
& handling fees are included in the final price ($7,900). If you are
interested please let me know your shipping details so I can open a
transaction case.
Alan
ericread
How do you see the scam working? A dummy paypal site (i.e.paypa1.com-note that the "l" in "Paypal" is actually a "1") or getting the buyer to send a wire outside of the Paypal domain? It should be noted that eBay never pre-inspects cars that are listed.

Craigslist has always scared me as there seems to be a propensity for scams.
rick 918-S
Do I win a prize? It's not the guy's car! It's LVSteve's car! Here it is!

http://www.clubnarp.com/
stateofidleness
i havent even been in the 914 scene very long and I STILL recognized that car RIGHT AWAY (cuz its one of my faves smile.gif )

email him that "you've notified the owner of the car" and "appropriate action will be taken"
DBCooper
Those scams are ten per day per city on Craig's List. I used to string them along, then send them insulting emails, calling them really horrible things and telling them to do worse to their mothers, sisters, dogs, etc. Actually got to hand it to them, they don't seem to even notice unless they think you might be sending them some money. It's really pointless, so just flag them and they're gone, just to reappear later with ten other cars with ten other free e-mail accounts in yours and ten other cities.
LvSteveH
I can ask the guy who bought it how much he'd sell it for, but it would be quite a bit more than $7900 biggrin.gif

The thing about those scams is somebody must be sending these guys money on occasion to justify all the time and effort they put into it.
rhodyguy
goofy. ebay inspected. what exactly does that mean? what's all the crap about the 2 cd set?

k
ericread
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 6 2008, 06:15 AM) *

goofy. ebay inspected. what exactly does that mean? what's all the crap about the 2 cd set?

k

The goofy crap about the 2 cd set is a text string designed to get around an email junk-mail filter. A lot of the scam type email messages have a similar text string.

The only real dissapointing thing about this scam is that it works. The perpetrator doesn't need to collect the $7900 for this to work. A holding fee of $100 makes this scam very profitable. Especially since the perpetrator has no car to sell and can collect holding fees from numerous persons at the same time. And because it's 1) So prevelant, and; 2) Not geographical local to any specific police jurisdiction, law enforcement rarely goes after these people. It really enforces the old adage, "Let the Buyer Beware".
jimkelly
that text string was not noticeable on the CL post - as it was done in white text on white background - i only noticed it when i copied the text - to paste it here. jim
LvSteveH
QUOTE(jimkelly @ May 6 2008, 08:29 AM) *

that text string was not noticeable on the CL post - as it was done in white text on white background - i only noticed it when i copied the text - to paste it here. jim

Sneaky sneaky, that's a rather elegant solution.

As much as we'd all like to think we'd never be suckered, if there was an ad for a 914-6 that's been in a garage for 20+ years; $5000 or best offer. We'd probably send a deposit based on a comforting female voice saying:

"I don't know much about it, it was my husbands, he passed away several years ago. I can tell you it's orange, and was supposed to be some sort of special car. I know my husband paid a lot for it in 1983 and was very excited to get it. He had a 911 at the time, so I don't know why a 914 was a big deal. He never did take those stupid racing numbers off, he said it should stay just like it is . I just know it's loud and I wouldn't ride in it."
ericread
QUOTE(LvSteveH @ May 6 2008, 08:44 AM) *

QUOTE(jimkelly @ May 6 2008, 08:29 AM) *

Sneaky sneaky, that's a rather elegant solution.

As much as we'd all like to think we'd never be suckered, if there was an ad for a 914-6 that's been in a garage for 20+ years; $5000 or best offer. We'd probably send a deposit based on a comforting female voice saying:

"I don't know much about it, it was my husbands, he passed away several years ago. I can tell you it's orange, and was supposed to be some sort of special car. I know my husband paid a lot for it in 1983 and was very excited to get it. He had a 911 at the time, so I don't know why a 914 was a big deal. He never did take those stupid racing numbers off, he said it should stay just like it is . I just know it's loud and I wouldn't ride in it."

WOW! Sounds great! Where do I send my money???

rhodyguy
100 fools and a quick 10er gone. poof, brilliant!
dbgriffith75
This is one of the many draw backs of the 'net- it has opened numerous doors for scam artists and has taken dishonesty to a whole new level. And if a person knows what he/she is doing, even if law enforcement is pursuing them, it can be near impossible to ever catch them.

But the 'net can also be their downfall- you'd be surprised the results a simple search engine can bring up. If you ever run into something like this and you're not sure if it's legit or not, run the info through a search engine like Yahoo or Google. Granted just typing "1973 Porsche 914" would bring up a sh*t pot of results, but when you add the name or business listed, you can get better info. Chances are someone out there has already been scammed and if they have, you're likely to find out about it and save yourself the hassle.

I've been lucky in my dealings over the 'net so far- I haven't been burned, and I hope that I don't have to deal with that. But then again, if there was something I couldn't find on Pelican, I found it from somebody here- and these types of online communities are probably safer anyway. Everyone here is trying to keep a good reputation with everyone else, because if a guy tries to burn you, the chances of them doing business here again are slim.

Anyway, just my 1.5 cents (I'm broke till payday- that's all ya get! biggrin.gif)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.