Full Version: Carbon Joe is back....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2455453742

His stuff is on the evil bay again....
URY914
Pretty wub.gif
maf914
Anyone know what Carbon Joe charged for the valve covers?

I've seen a pair and they are nice. Very strong and light.

Paul needs a set!

Mike
914werke
Whats the Point wacko.gif Aside from the Bling factor. blink.gif
Britain Smith
I have an order for these in the works...should be getting them soon.

It is my understanding that they are quite strong, don't leak, and yes...a little bit of bling.

Look at this motor from Jaby...you can't say it is not cool! This is the look I am going for.

-Britain
maf914
Hmm... That fuel line doesn't seem to have a hose clamp at the carb. Could that lead to...a fire?

That is a cool looking engine though, even if Jake prefers to use his upright DTM shroud. That would look great in the 912, Britain.

Mike
URY914
I'm sure they're lighter, but how much? One to two pounds each? Not worth the cost for the weight savings.

The real advantage would be if they didn't leak.

When is someone going to come up with a bolt-on cover, but not the way the cast aluminum ones bolt-on. Using the rocker arm mounting bolts is not the best way. We need someway to bolt up tight from the outside.

Any thoughts?

Paul
SirAndy
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 20 2004, 12:06 PM)
The real advantage would be if they didn't leak.

mine don't leak. and i just adjusted the vales. re-used the old seals. dry as the desert.

what makes one leak?
Andy
Mueller
what makes one leak?

Too much beer???? beerchug.gif
URY914
Oil make them leak.

Paul

Mine don't leak much.
McMark
They leak if your heads don't have the air ports in the side which keeps the pressure from building in the valve covers. Need'a have the port.
SirAndy
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Jan 20 2004, 01:45 PM)
They leak if your heads don't have the air ports in the side which keeps the pressure from building in the valve covers. Need'a have the port.

my heads don't have no ports ohmy.gif

BUT, i don't have a valve in the oil-filler cap, just a hole with some gauze schtuff in it.

does that mean i don't have enough oil-pressure in my engine? confused24.gif
Andy
TheCabinetmaker
My 75 got no ports and it got no leaks confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
My wife caught me looking at that motor just after I leaked all over my hand... wub.gif blink.gif

(you all have permission to leave your computers temporarily to go poke out your minds eye...)
anthony
If you glue the cork gaskets with Gaskacinch to the valve cover they won't leak.
redshift
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 20 2004, 05:17 PM)
I leaked all over my hand...

( to go poke out your minds eye...)

We are even.

pinch.gif

M
Eric_Shea
We are even.

Not possible... you have cooler guitars than I do. Fork over lefty and we'll be even beer.gif
redshift
We don't need to be even, just equitable.

Oh dood... You know, there is a Telecaster that matches the Strat, but it's blue.

I thought you'd hate that.

smile.gif

M
Eric_Shea
Oh Miiiiiiiiillllllllles... finger.gif

Trade ya some seats for them!
redshift
ADMIN! ADMIN! HE'S ASSAULTING ME! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT!

Cute kids, and they pay for their own higher education.

I do so love that Telecaster.. it's nice! '66? Right?

M
Eric_Shea
66 with an "onlay"... you know, the year they decided to only make rosewood necks? (I love it when corporations get their hands on guitars). Still had some old decals left over in those days... The 73 hardtail is alder; light as a feather, fat as a house.

I saw SRV's guitar at the show.
redshift
I used to have a Hamiltone that was made for him, but had a Floyd on it, so he traded it. Had his whole name up the fretboard in pearl, like all those Hamiltones..

I have 2 guitars with slab maple boards, and my friend Andy has a '63 (!!!) Strat with one!

I need to sell a 3 pickup LP Custom, maybe you guys should buy it, and give it away in a sweepstakes.

smile.gif

M
Eric_Shea
I need to sell a 3 pickup LP Custom, maybe you guys should buy it, and give it away in a sweepstakes.

Donate it you cheap bastard beer.gif

my friend Andy has a '63 (!!!) Strat with one!

Ssup with that? I was told that was a one year only thang... confused24.gif

I'm going back down there (Fender) next month. I'll have to ask around. The head of their guitars and amps is looking to buy a Porscheee.
redshift
Late '65 they started capping with maple, by request. There are 2 that I know of from that year. (small headstock)

In '66, Hendrix got his black maple capped Strat, it was a factory option, but guitars rarely left with options, if not custom ordered. I would guess that there are maybe 40-50 guitars out there, most black, or white. (and one black lefty... maybe.. smile.gif

In '67, I think because of the proliferation of the maple capped Teles, Strats started popping up on shelves (rarely, but) with the maple option. All of the guitars made for the NAMM that year have maple caps.

Jimi played the white maple cap at Woodstock, thats a brand new '69, note the decal style.

Maple caps stopped with the last 4-bolt Strat, with the last few being a handful of hardtails in '72. (factory stocked necks without the syncro trem decals)

Ask Fender if they need someone to come hang out with them, and give them a few pointers on month-by-month neck profile changes, 1953-1970. They are out to lunch on their Relic thingys.

oh my god... I am like the Jeff Bowlsby of Fender.

laugh.gif

I left out the one maple cap '63. It was custom ordered with a burgundy mist finish, by some guy in Detroit. 1/1.

Wow, I am serious about the Relics, heh tell them I said that!

M
Jake Raby
I have 40,000 miles on the first set of these covers he made....even running synthetics won't egt them to leak!
steve@ottosvenice.com
Why? This looks like a good way to spend money but what plus's do you get? Carbon fiber will not transfer heat like steel so you are losing some cooling I would say.Steve
Eric_Shea
oh my god... I am like the Jeff Bowlsby of Fender.

Wanna be an Editor? laugh.gif
redshift
Does it pay in Scooby snacks, or R seats?

laugh.gif

M
mightyohm
QUOTE(anthony @ Jan 20 2004, 04:09 PM)
If you glue the cork gaskets with Gaskacinch to the valve cover they won't leak.

I wish. I just tried something similar (I used weatherstrip adhesive) and I need to do it again because one side is still leaking. And I was so optimistic that it was going to work. sad.gif
redshift
If you goo up both sides, they should be ok.

No? Warped?

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.