Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear shock installation 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tsn914

I finally tracked down and purchased 100# springs and Boge rear shocks for my 1974 914 2.0.

However, the shocks have nothing to keep the spring in place, such as the spring retainers, top and bottom. Do these normally come with the shocks, along with the ring joint, stop plate, cap, etc? (they did not come with my set-- only the shock itself with no retainers, etc.). Do you have to purchase them separately...do they come off the old shocks (I looked at the old shocks, and their spring retainers apear to be part of the shock itself)- or did I simply order the wrong shocks??

Any suggestions???

Thanks. Tom

blitZ
The seat for the spring should be separate. Can you post a picture?
rhodyguy
same diameter as the springs currently on the car? top retaining cap should fit. there should be plastic discs that go over the rod and ride on top of the base. is there a series of lands on the bottom that would take a circlip and a non fixed base?

k

MartyYeoman
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 6 2008, 02:56 PM) *

there should be plastic discs that go over the rod and ride on top of the base.

k

And what exactly do those plastic discs do? confused24.gif
r_towle
I am way over here in MA, but if you cant find spring perches crop me a PM...I have a few.

Rich
Eric_Shea
And what exactly do those plastic discs do?

If'n I recall, they allow air to escape if the shock were to bottom out. That vs. the bottom of the rubber snubber which would actually seal things up tight.

Not sure if that's the correct answer though...

All the others be correct. Those lower spring perches should slide up off your old shock.
tsn914
Thanks for the replies-

I think I have it figured out my confusion. The guy who owned it before me must have put KYB's on, which come with pre-welded bottom plate. The Boge shocks do not, similar to the original 914 rear shocks.

What should I do at this point? If I don't scrap the Boge shocks and order Konis or some other brand that come with the bottom plate, how hard do you think it will be to find the bottom plate and ring and where would I look?

Attached is a picture.

Thanks. Tom
r_towle
post a pic.

Rich
Wilhelm
QUOTE(tsn914 @ May 7 2008, 09:01 AM) *

Thanks for the replies-

I think I have it figured out my confusion. The guy who owned it before me must have put KYB's on, which come with pre-welded bottom plate. The Boge shocks do not, similar to the original 914 rear shocks.

What should I do at this point? If I don't scrap the Boge shocks and order Konis or some other brand that come with the bottom plate, how hard do you think it will be to find the bottom plate and ring and where would I look?

Attached is a picture.

Thanks. Tom

No Pic!

But could you cut the perches (bottom plates) off the kybs and put them on the Boges? I would suspect they have a few spot welds.
ConeDodger
100#?? I thought 100# was stock? WTF.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 7 2008, 12:28 PM) *

and the ongoing "c" weenie debate goes on and on and on and on ... 90# or a 100# ... no difference. The new ones I bought a few years ago were supposedly 100#. They looked like the stock ones (black w/green stripe); they felt like stock ones (easy to compress); they tasted like stock ones (don't let the spring compressor slip); they must be stock (for 2004) and they came from a german sounding name (Troutman) ..... av-943.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 7 2008, 12:38 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 7 2008, 12:28 PM) *

and the ongoing "c" weenie debate goes on and on and on and on ... 90# or a 100# ... no difference. The new ones I bought a few years ago were supposedly 100#. They looked like the stock ones (black w/green stripe); they felt like stock ones (easy to compress); they tasted like stock ones (don't let the spring compressor slip); they must be stock (for 2004) and they came from a german sounding name (Troutman) ..... av-943.gif

God I bet that hurt but "tasted like stock ones" is hysterical!!! biggrin.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 6 2008, 09:30 PM) *

I am way over here in MA, but if you cant find spring perches crop me a PM...I have a few.

Rich

TOM, I found your answer! PM Rich. Man of his word, knows what he's doing, always helping people out.
rhodyguy
tom, i think you need a set of these. not the collar tho. the collar doesn't fit into the opening of the perch.

k
Eric_Shea

You just need a set of stock spring perches... shouldn't be too difficult.

The Boges are an "excellent" shock that doesn't get discussed here much. We tend to talk about how bad KYB's are and how great Koni or Bilsteins are (all of which is true) hence the lowly Boge gets ignored. It's an awesome shock for a 914.
rhodyguy
i was under the impression the discs acted as a protective cover for the area where the piston enters the housing.
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 8 2008, 09:31 AM) *

i was under the impression the discs acted as a protective cover for the area where the piston enters the housing.

My car has a metal cup that fits snuggly over the end of the shock to provide said protection. The plastic discs just seem to be long for the ride.
Eric_Shea

Could be... the story I heard was they were manditory or no warranty as those channels you see in your picture allowed the air to escape if they were to bottom out against a rubber bumper. confused24.gif

Beats me... Groot would know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.