Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coil Resistor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michel richard

Hi,

I just ordered a crane Fireball ignition system and the instructions talk at length about coil resistances and the need for a resistor. I have several coils in my parts bin, but I'm not sure they're right. Crane says that if one is not sure, one should use a resistor.

That's what I would like to do.

Does anyone have an application that I can give at my Flaps for them to find a part that will work ? i.e. if I walk into the Flaps and ask for an ignition resistor for a 1972 BMW 2002, will I end up with what I need: a 1.8 ohm (approximately) automotive grade resistor that I can bolt somewhere and wire in line with the positive lead to my coil.

TIA

Michel Richard

p.s. this is not for the 914-6 twin plug short stroke . . . I'm getting a twin plug distributor and will run twin CDI boxes on that car !

swl
Michel,
I did a little research looking for the correct match for a pertronics setup which wants a 3ohm coil. The standard bosch (black) coil has a 3 ohm internal resistor. Some of the bosch 'blue' also have the 3 ohm resistor - not all though. Pertronics was the only non-bosch I found with 3-ohms.
michel richard
Steve,

Thanks for your response.

I too see just about 3 ohms on one of my black Bosch coils. But I cant find a part number to figure exactly what it is and the instructions call for a minimum 3.2 ohms.

I'm being a little anal about this because I fried one of these systems a couple of years ago. I'll Crane tomorrow see what they say.

Cheers

Michel
Joe Owensby
I asked a local Advance auto parts guy about a resistor, but he couldn't find one. I just checked on their websiet on line ordering location. Did a search under resistor, and I was a able to find one under ballast resistor.
Steve Thacker
Michel,

I too am running the Crane unit. Please let me know what Crane tells you. I have cooked more than a few coils.
I have a external ballast resister I can use, but not sure if it is the right one.

Here is one
http://www.hot-spark.com/HS14BR.htm
Gint
I would think that any 3 ohm coil that's intended for use without a ballast resistor (because it's built into the coil) would work? confused24.gif Measure the resistance of the coil. Talk with Crane and ask them about using a 3 ohm coil?
Gint
QUOTE(swl @ May 6 2008, 06:34 PM) *
Michel,
I did a little research looking for the correct match for a pertronics setup which wants a 3ohm coil. The standard bosch (black) coil has a 3 ohm internal resistor. Some of the bosch 'blue' also have the 3 ohm resistor - not all though. Pertronics was the only non-bosch I found with 3-ohms.
agree.gif ...what he said.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.