Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car Inventory
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Smitty911
Purchased the 1974 2.0 914 about three weeks ago. Non runner, from shop.

Well it runs now. Replaced Spark Plug Wire, points and condensor. Removed Tach wire from Coil, it runs. Hmmm

So what works:

Motor
Tranny
Brakes
Suspension
Winshield and windows
Emergancy flashers

What doesn't:

Low Beams - Cleaned Ground bolts up front little dielectric grease now both High beams work, only one before. Maybe low beam on bulbs???
Tach - Removed tach lead from Coil, motor works tach doesn't. What's that about???
Fog Lights - Have no idea yet havn't gotten there yet.
Wiper - Nope, won't be driving in the rain. Ideas???
Seat belt Light - Non-op
Horn - Took off center Wire looks like it burnt once, there is a splice. Run new wire this weekend. Need a horn I sit lower, so I'm looking up at SUV Drivers butt. LOL
Temp gauge in left top side of gauge, What temp is that reading? Oil or head? I have a non stock Oil Pressure and Oil Temp gauge. Freeway Oil PSI 60 Oil Temp 180ish, Traffic stop lights etc. 210-230 is that about right?
Dwell is a little out of spec on the high side, will adjust Weekend.
Timing is a pain with one person, Aim Light, Twist Dizzy, hold RPM at 3500.

None of the fuses look burnt out. Put air in tires 40PSI, rides better. The top rattles, is there a way to tighten up that or would new seal quiet it down?

Tranny grinds on occasion, slow roll no problem, From reverse no problem, dead stop sometimes. I'm thinking clutch adjustment.

Would like to bend the Gear Shift over to the Passenger side about 3" as going from 1st to 4th looks bad. LOL

Tranny shifting feels hard/stiff Not sure if this is a good thing. Not sloppy and no movement once in gear, just overly stiff, any adjustment or items to inspect?

It is running very rich, black smoke out the exhaust.

Long post sorry it's were we are at.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Smitty

PS When my son assisted me in checking the FI Value, we removed the ECU the little knob on top he twisted around. I have no idea what it does. I attempted to click it back a couple but how is it adjusted.

PSS the screw on the side of the Trottle body, what does that do, I can't seem to find it in my Haynes manual.
McMark
Yikes, we're covering a LOT of ground here. unsure.gif
Low Beams - Cleaned Ground bolts up front little dielectric grease now both High beams work, only one before. Maybe low beam on bulbs???
Check your fuses for corrosion.

Tach - Removed tach lead from Coil, motor works tach doesn't. What's that about???
confused24.gif Does the tach work when the wire is hooked up to coil negative?

Fuses, switch, motor, in that order.

Seat belt Light - Non-op
No problem. wink.gif

Temp gauge in left top side of gauge, What temp is that reading? Oil or head? I have a non stock Oil Pressure and Oil Temp gauge. Freeway Oil PSI 60 Oil Temp 180ish, Traffic stop lights etc. 210-230 is that about right?
Oil temp.

The top rattles, is there a way to tighten up that or would new seal quiet it down?
A piece of tubing slipped over the 'hook' rear latch of the top.

Tranny grinds on occasion, slow roll no problem, From reverse no problem, dead stop sometimes. I'm thinking clutch adjustment.
Check your shift bushings, including the ones INSIDE the joint at the firewall.

Would like to bend the Gear Shift over to the Passenger side about 3" as going from 1st to 4th looks bad. LOL
dry.gif Once you have everything fixed this won't be necessary. Check your shifter alignment.

Tranny shifting feels hard/stiff Not sure if this is a good thing. Not sloppy and no movement once in gear, just overly stiff, any adjustment or items to inspect?
Make sure your clutch is adjusted correctly.

PS When my son assisted me in checking the FI Value, we removed the ECU the little knob on top he twisted around. I have no idea what it does. I attempted to click it back a couple but how is it adjusted.
The knob affects idle mixture. IDLE ONLY! wink.gif It's set with a CO meter.

PSS the screw on the side of the Trottle body, what does that do, I can't seem to find it in my Haynes manual.
Idle speed adjustment.
Smitty911
QUOTE(McMark @ May 6 2008, 09:37 PM) *

Yikes, we're covering a LOT of ground here. unsure.gif
Check your fuses for corrosion.

I'll assume you mean to clean the tabs and the fuses

confused24.gif Does the tach work when the wire is hooked up to coil negative?

The motor will not start when it is connected to the coil. Does it go on the number 15 side (Stock Blue Coil)?

Fuses, switch, motor, in that order.

This weekend, Thank God I'm in SoCal. LOL

Seat belt Light - Non-op
No problem. wink.gif

Wasn't a big issue in the first place, I'd just like things to work. wink.gif

Oil temp.

I believe I would like to know what the Heads temps are. Suggestions?

The top rattles, is there a way to tighten up that or would new seal quiet it down?
A piece of tubing slipped over the 'hook' rear latch of the top.

Like from a Fish Tank?

I'll be reading up on this one, need to either buy a lift or dig a trench. I'm to big to fit under. LOL

dry.gif Once you have everything fixed this won't be necessary. Check your shifter alignment.

I'll be reading up on this also, Weekend work. Nice.

Make sure your clutch is adjusted correctly.

Weekends were made for clutch shifter work and beerchug.gif

The knob affects idle mixture. IDLE ONLY! wink.gif It's set with a CO meter.

Figures, I'll have to take it to a shop. Any Good ones in Orange County Ca.?

Idle speed adjustment.

Doesn't seem to do much when turned all the way in or out. Hmmmm

Additional things in the don't work area;

The self canceling turn signals, they stay on, I drive like a Granny and the turn signal blinking proves it.

The High beams won't stay on when I pull the lever back.

Thanks Mcmark to bad your up North I could use you down here. Planning a trip soon? beerchug.gif

Smitty
Dave_Darling
The tach signal wire goes to the (-) terminal on the coil, the same one that the points hook up to. If the engine won't stat when it's hooked up, then either the wire is shorting to ground somewhere, or the tach itself is shorting to ground. That'll keep the sparks from happening, which will keep the motor from running.

Rich mixture could be fuel pressure too high (should be 29 PSI while the fuel pump is running), MPS diaphragm busted (does it hold a vacuum for 15 minutes?), CHT sensor unplugged or high resistance, and other possible causes. Have you seen Brad Anders' D-jet website? http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders He has collected pretty much everything that is now known about D-jet EFI in one place...

--DD
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Smitty911 @ May 7 2008, 01:05 AM) *

I'll be reading up on this one, need to either buy a lift or dig a trench. I'm to big to fit under. LOL
Smitty

This made me laugh, which I needed this very bleary morning. Hey look, Sun! The bleary is burning off! Anyway, task at hand....

A jack and JACKSTANDS are cheaper then a lift, and easier on your back and your lawn then digging a pit. I think everyone over the age of 5 is too big to get under a 914 and actually do anyhting. Most of us are too big to even get under one. period.

But yeah, jackstands. Pin type (not lever/cam type), rated 2X the weight of your car (2 ton stands). 4 will cost you like $60 at autozone, and for most jobs you only need 2.

Zach
Wilhelm
This made me laugh, which I needed this very bleary morning. Hey look, Sun! The bleary is burning off! Anyway, task at hand....

A jack and JACKSTANDS are cheaper then a lift, and easier on your back and your lawn then digging a pit. I think everyone over the age of 5 is too big to get under a 914 and actually do anyhting. Most of us are too big to even get under one. period.

But yeah, jackstands. Pin type (not lever/cam type), rated 2X the weight of your car (2 ton stands). 4 will cost you like $60 at autozone, and for most jobs you only need 2. Don't let your noggin get Ginted! teef.gif

Zach
I'm fond of ramps myself. Fewer chances of stuffing a jack or jackstand through the bottom of the car. Easy on and off. The real trouble with jackstands is that once you go up on them it becomes semi-permanent. biggrin.gif
McMark
Ramps is good. wink.gif Use 2x6 extensions if the ramp is too steep for your 914. Or shop around for the one with the longest incline.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.