Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TIMING QUESTION AND SMOKE QUESTION
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOE M
O.K I finally got my valves adjusted to what I think they should be. I have a 72 1.7l. After adjusting the valves I went to set my timing and refered to the article on pelican parts for adjusting timing with carbs. The problem is that it says that there is a vacuum advance on the distributor.I have no vacuum on my distributor.I am not sure what to do at this time.I went ahead and set it at 3k plus rpm as it said and the car runs like crap.It is also now starting to smoke real bad out of the exhaust. The smoke is white ( not sure if that means it is burning oil). I did run it a few days ago after I set the valves and it did not smoke this bad. It seems to smoke bad if I get on the gas.Any thoughts?
SGB
Is it idling at 3K now? Thats tooo advanced. It will run really hot! Or did you rev to 3k and set timing at 27 BTDC (or whatever the spec is)? Whit smoke is usuaally too lean, but until timing is OK, I dunno...
JOE M
QUOTE(SGB @ May 7 2008, 05:11 AM) *

Is it idling at 3K now? Thats tooo advanced. It will run really hot! Or did you rev to 3k and set timing at 27 BTDC (or whatever the spec is)? Whit smoke is usuaally too lean, but until timing is OK, I dunno...

It idles at around 1k.I set the timing with it reved to 3k. I think the timing is way advanced because it starts hard. I am going to move the distributor to a point where it cranks better. I am not sure whats up with the white smoke though. That is a bigger concern.
VaccaRabite
Blue smoke is usually oil. White indicates antifreeze. Is your coolant level dropping at all? Mabey a blown head gasket.
poke.gif
KIDDING!

White smoke can also be condensation burning off.
What does the exhaust smell like? if it smells like Gas, then you are rich. If it smells "right" then it may just be condensation that goes away when the motor warms up.

if the smoke does not go away...

http://64.78.42.182/sweethaven/MechTech/Au...10&modNum=1
White smoke is generally most noticeable at engine start-up, particularly during cold conditions. As the combustion and cylinder temperatures increase during the first few minutes of engine operation the white smoke should start to disappear which indicates the engine is sound. However, if the white smoke takes longer than 3 to 5 minutes to disappear a problem exist. The problems white smoke may indicate are as follows:

* Low cylinder compression from worn rings (Zach's Emphasis)
* Scored piston or liner
* Valve seating problems
* Water leaking into the combustion chamber
* Faulty injectors
* Use of a low cetane diesel fuel.

Did you ever check your rings from a while back?

Zach
JOE M
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 7 2008, 05:46 AM) *

Blue smoke is usually oil. White indicates antifreeze. Is your coolant level dropping at all? Mabey a blown head gasket.

KIDDING!

White smoke can also be condensation burning off.
What does the exhaust smell like? if it smells like Gas, then you are rich. If it smells "right" then it may just be condensation that goes away when the motor warms up.

FUNNY FUNNY FUNNY. I like your sense of humor and also your help. It does smell sort of like gas so maybe I need to take a better and closer look at my carbs. I had the carbs out a few days ago because they were all gummed up. I cleaned them but it rained here for the last few days. My fear is that some rain leaked down into the head. That would really suck. I checked the oil dip stick and it was just oil but who knows. I did cover the engine with some old shirts but they got real wet.I am not sure what size carbs they are and I am also not sure how to properly adjust.Here are some pics of the carbs before and after. I did replace the gasket after re-installing.
I know that they do not look great but they are way cleaner and all the ports are now opening and letting fuel in.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JOE M
Zach,
Inever did check the rings and my compression is still questionable. I am at about 80psi on cyl 1,2 and around 110 on 3,4. I did not check the rings because I do not want to drop the motor yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.