Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side Stripe
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
mdwman
I've decided to add a black side stripe to my yellow '73 1.7L. I'm going with the positive stripe to keep it period correct and ordered a pair from AA. In the day, when these were applied by a dealer was there a standard placement position for the stripe? Specifically, how many inches above the rocker panel was it applied? Also, how far forward or back on the door should the PORSCHE lettering be (guess this depends on the length of the decal)?

Thanks,

M
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mdwman @ May 7 2008, 07:02 AM) *

I've decided to add a black side stripe to my yellow '73 1.7L. I'm going with the positive stripe to keep it period correct and ordered a pair from AA. In the day, when these were applied by a dealer was there a standard placement position for the stripe? Specifically, how many inches above the rocker panel was it applied? Also, how far forward or back on the door should the PORSCHE lettering be (guess this depends on the length of the decal)?

Thanks,

M

Recognize that these were aftermarket parts from the beginning. So, in essence, they can be placed wherever you wish.

I did a positive stripe within months of getting my '72. Placed it about an inch from the bottom edge, so it wouldn't blend too much with the black rockers - but that was my choice. Later, switched to negatives (which I like better), but placed it about the same area. Both are long gone.

Put it where you like - there are no guidelines that I know of. However, I have been proven wrong a time or two.
Pat
Ferg

[/quote]
Recognize that these were aftermarket parts from the beginning. So, in essence, they can be placed wherever you wish.
[/quote]

Not all of them were aftermarket Pat shades.gif
JeffBowlsby
biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
I've got a set that is period correct and am debating using it on my Olympic 74.
Joe Bob
Period correct? As in made back in the 70s?

Hope you have good luck in it seperating from the backing and actually sticking to the car.

Or do you mean a new reproduction using a scanned or digitally copied original?
mdwman
Yes, repro i presume. I ordered it from AutoAtlanta.
Pat Garvey
[quote name='Ferg' date='May 8 2008, 10:30 AM' post='1029691']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I suppose the term "aftermarket" probably should be changed to dealer installed/provided, or secondary supplier. Seriously doubt that the factory shipped any with stripes. Though, I've been proven wrong before.
Pat
Scott S
[quote name='Pat Garvey' date='May 8 2008, 07:14 PM' post='1029931']
[quote name='Ferg' date='May 8 2008, 10:30 AM' post='1029691']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I suppose the term "aftermarket" probably should be changed to dealer installed/provided, or secondary supplier. Seriously doubt that the factory shipped any with stripes. Though, I've been proven wrong before.
Pat
[/quote]

bs.gif
So the dealers put them on the SE/Can Am cars? Jeff??
JeffBowlsby
Thats what I have heard from 2 long-time folks that worked at the dealers when the LE cars were delivered to the lot. Cars were shipped with cosmoline for the boat trip over, the cosmoline would have ruined the decals, which were normally put on during dealer prep. Sometimes buyers had the dealers leave the stripes off... mad.gif
914Sixer
I thought all the stripes where dealer installed. I have an orignial Bumble Bee yellow stripe with a factory VW Part number on it.
JeffBowlsby
Whats the PN Mark? Is it one of these?

Scott S
Interesting. I forgot all about the comsmoline.

Based on several discussions on the board, that would mean that to correctly restore a can am car to concour, there should be no stripe. Is that correct?

Was cosmoline also used on the the 911? If so, wouldn't the carrera stripe also be considered dealer installed, and therefore incorrect for a concour car?

scotty b
Will Pat cover his car in cosmoline for the upcoming concourse battle ??? av-943.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 11 2008, 11:16 AM) *

Will Pat cover his car in cosmoline for the upcoming concourse battle ??? av-943.gif

Only if he can find a container of it, manufactured in West Germany and produced (and verified with carbon dating) in 1972.

Paul
Scott S
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 11 2008, 11:16 AM) *

That would still put him in the restored class because he made the mistake of washing the original off the car!
914werke
Ok so contrary to Pats quip that it is the owners choice, I tend to believe that
there probably was some "rule" followed by dealers for the exact placement/application of the side decals (positive or negative).
I am focusing on the Negative stripes specifically for the LE, and believe that correct spacing is vital to the overall aesthetic of the Can Am paint scheme.
I searched and was surprised that this specific topic wasn't already memorialized here in its own topic?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.