Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator squeak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kpfoten
Hi,

In my latest work on "bringing back the dead," I pulled the fan belt to check it, and spun the alternator pulley with my hand. I've got a slight squeak that seems to occur in the same spot when I spin the pulley 360. Does this sound like a bearing issue?

Thanks,

Kris
ericread
Sounds like you have a bearing problem to me... sad.gif
kpfoten

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I guess I'll pull it and take it in and have somebody look at it... Hopefully it won't be too $$ to rebuild/replace.

K

QUOTE(ericread @ May 7 2008, 10:12 AM) *

Sounds like you have a bearing problem to me... sad.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(kpfoten @ May 7 2008, 10:56 AM) *

Hopefully it won't be too $$ to rebuild/replace.

get a rebuild unit from bosch. comes with warranty and they take your old one as a core ...
shades.gif Andy
ericread
About six months ago my generator started to go bad. When I took a look under the car, I found a non-standard geneerator with ground down tabs (so it would fit into the support bolts) with a non-standard wiring harness. Even if I were to purchase a replacement stock alternator I didn't have the holder that bolts directly to the alt.

So I went over to eBay and purchased a grungy old 914 generator that came with the holder. I figured I could use the new eBay alt as a core (for replacement) and at least I'd have the holder piece. When the eBay part came in, my old generator completely died, so I bolted in the new one and returned the wiring to stock configuration to see what would happen. It's been running perfectly ever since.

Go figure...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.