Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is ther best way to adjust my carbs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOE M
I have been down this road once before. I asked this question and got a response but lost the info.I know that I have other things to address as well but having this info will help come this weekend.I think I have dual 40`s redline carbs if that helps.A picture is at the bottom. I have been reading other threads and from what I can tell some people calibrate the amount of gas by activating the fuel lever (SINGLE SQUIRT). Is there a target number for this calibration. After getting the volume correct do I than start adjusting the idle screw and air mixture screw? Damn i`m confused!!!!

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
They look like Weber IDFs to me. I don't know what a redline is.

http://www.carburetorclinic.com/weber_tech.htm

Check out that link. Loads of information on Weber IDF carbs.

How did you get your carbs so clean. Just scrub with carb cleaner, or did you hot tank them?

Zach
JOE M
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 7 2008, 10:58 AM) *

They look like Weber IDFs to me. I don't know what a redline is.

http://www.carburetorclinic.com/weber_tech.htm

Check out that link. Loads of information on Weber IDF carbs.

How did you get your carbs so clean. Just scrub with carb cleaner, or did you hot tank them?

Zach

Lots of scrubbing(should have hot tank them). My wife thinks I am nuts. She told me to trade in my 914 for a harley.Dont think so----. I had a ninja zx6r for years but now I have a 914.haaaa.
I seem to be spending a lot of time on this project so I hope it`s all worth it in the long run.
Mark Henry
Redline was a importer/retailer...many moons ago. They were sold through VW mags as Redline Weber's. They are just Webers.
Elliot Cannon
That carb.clinic web site it great. Very informative and my email was answered promptly with great advice. I think there is a phone number on the site as well.
JOE M
Zach,
Good call,they are webber idf`s 40. Not sure what 40 means but thats what they are. So after reading the articles I decided to break my carbs down and start a rebuild.It`s a good thing because most of the jeats were cloged. There was a lot of sludge in the center under float. That may explain the white smoke. It looked like there was some water mixed in with the gas because there was rusty deposits inside the whole carb. My first go around did not involve diss assembly but rather an exterior cleaning and cleaning of the barrels. This time I have completely broke them down jets and all.
I also found that the idle adjustment screw on the carb for cylinder 1-2 was not engaing. If I screwed the adjuster all the way in it did not engage the rocker. Are both idle screws functional on multi carbs setups or was this a conscious decision on the P.O to not allow for adjustment?
The main jet has a marking of 50 on it. I think this represents the venturi size but I am not sure.
Mark Henry
The 50 is the emulltion (sp?) tube, the main jet is the last little bit (3/8" or so) on the bottom of the tube, I bet it says 135.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 7 2008, 03:09 PM) *

Redline was a importer/retailer...many moons ago. They were sold through VW mags as Redline Weber's. They are just Webers.

Redline's still in business. It's a division of Worldpac. The Cap'n
bperry
This manual has lots of useful information in it.
Weber Tech Handbook
The information is similar to what is on the carboretorclinic.com site.
It also has some good parts diagrams and some additional tuning/theory stuff.
Its only $10.
jmill
The 40 means you have 40mm venturi's. Buy the weber manual. It's well worth it. I've got a weber tech manual written by Bob Tomlinson. You'll need a air flow meter and an EGA to get them dialed in right. I believe that single squirt your talking about is the accelerator pump.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.