Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bust a nut?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dandh

Is there someone out there who can help me? I've been trying to get the hub nut off for 2 days now,( not 24/7 ) I just got some penetrating oil yesterday was hoping that would work,tried breaker bar with a piece of pipe , afraid I might bust more than a nut, <To be more specific its the rear drivers side castellated nut.>

Dave
purple
QUOTE(dandh @ May 7 2008, 03:56 PM) *

Is there someone out there who can help me? I've been trying to get the hub nut off for 2 days now,( not 24/7 ) I just got some penetrating oil yesterday was hoping that would work,tried breaker bar with a piece of pipe , afraid I might bust more than a nut, <To be more specific its the rear drivers side castellated nut.>

Dave

shoot, how did you get the bearing cap off!?
TheCabinetmaker
Heavy duty impact or just like you've been doing. I/2" breaker bar, 6' pipe, and lots of PB blaster
Joe Bob
Hopefully you have the drive train in....engine/trans?

Set the socket with a LONG breaker bar 9 o'clock. 3/4 inch drive is best, 1/2 inch all ya doo is piss it off....then take a long pipe slip it over the end, put the inside hand on the fender or door, depending on what side of the car you are on.....then set one foot on the pipe, jump up in the air with the foot still on the pipe, push down with all your weight....

You should hear a loud crack....

If you don't, check and see if you forgot to take out the cotter pin...and do it again. I assume you weigh over 100lbs? aktion035.gif
TheCabinetmaker
purple, you talking about the Front dust cover?
Joe Bob
QUOTE(purple @ May 7 2008, 01:19 PM) *

QUOTE(dandh @ May 7 2008, 03:56 PM) *

Dave
shoot, how did you get the bearing cap off!?

Dood, no bearing caps on the rear....
purple
front dust cover, yes.

BFH or electric impact wrench on the rear?

I have an idea!

put the rear wheel back on the car, put the car's weight on it.

bang away with an impact wrench just to break tension

profit.

I say this because it's WAY easier to break lug nuts loose if the car's weight is on it. i think it's something about force perpendicular to the plane.... I figure it's the same with the shaft nut, yeah?

just a thought biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(purple @ May 7 2008, 02:58 PM) *

front dust cover, yes.

I have an idea!

profit.

I say this because it's WAY easier to break lug nuts loose if the car's weight is on it. i think it's something about force perpendicular to the plane.... I figure it's the same with the shaft nut, yeah?

The force perpendicular to the plane is gravity and lift!! av-943.gif
purple
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 7 2008, 05:05 PM) *

front dust cover, yes.

I have an idea!

profit.

Isnt torque also perpendicular to the plane?
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(purple @ May 7 2008, 03:09 PM) *

front dust cover, yes.

I have an idea!

profit.

Is that a reference to them propeller thingys?
purple
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 7 2008, 05:17 PM) *

QUOTE(purple @ May 7 2008, 03:09 PM) *

front dust cover, yes.

I have an idea!

profit.

Is that a reference to them propeller thingys?

This assumes the force is in a direction at right angles to the straight lever. The direction of the torque can be determined by using the right hand rule: Using your right hand, curl your fingers in the direction of rotation, and stick your thumb out so it is aligned with the axis of rotation. Your thumb points in the direction of the torque vector.

plane as in plane of motion, not airplane.
cobra94563
As others have said...
Some kinda cheater bar and/or a (large) friend and get the leverage/force. Or impact wrench... you can borrow or rent if you don't have access. I know one home depot near me has a great contractor tool rental selection (for 1 hour). Get the socket from autozone under their loaner program.

I had that problem and could not budge it with a 3 foot pipe, but the electric impact (only rated 250ft-lb) broke it loose.

davep
I have a few that have never come off. I have a pro air impact wrench, and used lots of heat. You may want to go to a pro garage and pay to have it removed, and reinstalled with anti-seize so that you can do it with less force and bother at home. I think in some cases it will take 3/4" drive tools to break one free.
VaccaRabite
I bought a 500 ft/pound air impact wrench specifically for this purpose. Not tried it yet though. The 31mm and 32mm impact socket have not come in (yeah, I bought both as I was not sure which socket it needed. The 32mm regular socket I have seems a little sloppy, and I did not want to round off the nut.)

Zach
Gint
I bought this thing and managed to get a hub nut off on the bench after applying/soaking some PB Blaster and working with it for 10 or 15 minutes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...itemnumber=2623
davep
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 8 2008, 06:19 AM) *

I bought a 500 ft/pound air impact wrench specifically for this purpose.

Expect visitors. biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(davep @ May 8 2008, 01:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 8 2008, 06:19 AM) *

I bought a 500 ft/pound air impact wrench specifically for this purpose.

Expect visitors. biggrin.gif

They are always welcome. drunk.gif

Zach
Spoke
Assuming you're doing what others suggested:

Car on ground, tire on, center cotter pin removed.

Breaker bar with long pipe extension (3 to 6 feet)

Block the wheels.

Carefully jump on extension, should loosen it.

If this fails, one way to get it off is to use a dremel tool and cut through most of the nut being careful not to go through the spline. Should come off now. Go buy a new nut.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.