Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dellorto question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1bad914
74 2.0 with Dellorto 36 duals has been running fine since I pulled it out of storage, got in it to run pick up a pizza the other day and it seemed to lack power, tonight I took the air filters off and turned on the fuel pump, holy crap the left front carb barrel started filling up with fuel! The rear barrel seemed fine, just the left front barrel??? Any ideas, I have pulled the carb and it looks okay, the only odd thin is the large spring under the brass nut is kind of gunked up. I'll go snap a pic.

These were purchased rebuilt from the guy in Italy, they ran fine all last year.
1bad914
Pics of gunked up spring
jr91472
You probably have the Dellorto Drip. Go to the clinic and get a quick shot biggrin.gif

Seriously, I had the same problem. Apparently it is fairly common on Dells. Basically there are plugs that are used to fill some passages in the carb used in manufacturing. These eventually begin leaking.

Google Art Theron (sp?). He is the man. Ship him your carb and you will be back in business. Didn't cost much as I recall. Do a search here as well.

good luck

beer.gif
jr91472
linky..

http://www.aircooledengineering.com/index.php
type11969
Check the seat for needle valve in the bowl, make sure no crud has built up on it. If the needle valve doesn't close, fuel will keep flowing into the bowl even once the float is at its highest position and will then dump into the barrel. Interesting it is just one barrel but maybe you were on an incline when you were checking. While you are at it, reset the float height as per the dell manual. A little tweak on the float stops may be all you need to shut the needle valve properly (if that is the problem).

That large spring is for a choke mechanism for an alfa, you aren't using it. My understanding is that as long as that spring is in there, it shuts off the choke circuit so you don't have to worry about it.

-Chris
jr91472
Since you already have the top off the carb, simply pour some gas in the bowl and see if it still leaks. If it doesn't leak, then check the needle valve as advised by Type 11969.

If the bowl won't hold fuel, then it is a leak.
rhodyguy
i think your carbs need a deeper cleaning than just a soak in the generic cleaner avail in your local auto parts store. the work A.C.E. does is not cheap(not so bad as a set of new carbs). quality seldom is.

k
1bad914
I rebuilt a set of 40 webers I had laying around and put them on, they seem to be working well so far. I'll rebuild the Dells and give them a try later. Thanks for the help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.