Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best battery for 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BCinSC
Time to replace and wondering if this a trips to Sears or FLAPS, or if there is something else (reasonable cost) Thanks.
djm914-6
I'm still quite happy with my Die Hard. I can't remember the cost, but as I recall it was quite cheap. You may remember that I wanted an Optima, but it was cost prohibitive at the time. I'm also very happy with my Schumacher Battery cycler... best $25 bucks I spent on this car. MDB2.gif
BCinSC
Don't recall that item. What does it look like / do? I've checked for good contact at the ground straps and for any shorts, but she's been getting weaker and weaker ever since clutch job. Now she won't turn over on own - juice from the other car required.
SirAndy
everyone i know around here runs the optima red-top.

Andy
BCinSC
Why? How much?
TheCabinetmaker
about 100 bucks.

Sealed battery. No leak acid on body.
SirAndy
QUOTE(BCinSC @ Jan 20 2004, 11:13 AM)
Why? How much?

gel based, no acid in the "hell-hole" anymore ...
good battery, hasn't faild me yet.

i "think" it was $120 bucks, it's been a while, so, don't quote me on that wink.gif
Andy
BCinSC
Aren't all batteries sealed these days? Is it lighter or heavier?
SirAndy
QUOTE(BCinSC @ Jan 20 2004, 11:22 AM)
Aren't all batteries sealed these days?
Is it lighter or heavier?

- nope

- dunno, it's heavy, just like any other battery.

Andy
TheCabinetmaker
No. Turn them upside down, everything runs out.
About the same I guess. Don't really know.

Like andy said, different stuff inside.
F4i
I need one too. That optima red top. Is there a specific model or size?
Thanks
Mark Henry
Dylan, you can now get an Optima copy (Motomaster) from Canadian Tire for $150.Canadian. I think Optima makes it for Crappy tire, looks the same but it's black. I got my Optima from Costco for $164. Part Source also had the Optima but they wanted $200. for it!
boxstr
The Optima battery is probably the best choice for the 914. Most FLAPS charge $100-120. COSTCO $99.00.
There is a place Auto Electric and Battery who is a distibutor for the Optima battery. They get in seconds or blems. The sell them for $50.00, red tops. SO you might want to look in your local yellow pages for an Optima distributor and ask them if they ever get blem red tops or yellow tops or blue tops??
CCLINCHARGEIT
SirAndy
QUOTE(F4i @ Jan 20 2004, 11:27 AM)

nope, just remeber that the terminals are switched, you have to rotate the battery 180 deg to hook it up. wink.gif

there is supposedly a orange top optima with the terminals in the right place for the 914 but i've never seen one.

Andy
F4i
Good old crappy tire a Canadian institution. They also have strictly auto parts outlets called Partsource. Do they have those out near you as well? I will check Cosco and crappy tire thanks.
Korijo
orange top...

found here 1st-optima-batteries for 135 shipped.
djm914-6
as for costs and sellers, I've seen Interstate Battery trucks at various car shows selling optimas for under $75.
PatW
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 20 2004, 12:02 PM)
there is supposedly a orange top optima with the terminals in the right place for the 914 but i've never seen one.

Andy

I have one, tough battery, takes abuse well. I put an red top in my Ranger too. I never go back to regular batterys for my cars.
BCinSC
So DJM asks how do I know I need a new battery. I figure it's 5 years old. Car dormant for 2+ of those years. Our trip across country after purchase, and first several months afterwards, having to restart constantly with hot-stall problem. Inadequate altenator for my "accessories". New ground straps (checking again for good contact). Starts fine with another battery.

So, the question was asked above - are there different sizes of Optima?

And I just called Pep Boys who have Red for $119 and Yellow for $159.

No mention of Orange on www.optimabatteries.com. No fitment for 914s.

There is a new 51R Yellow Top that has reverse posts and deep cycle, but weighs 1/3 (12lbs) less (26 vs 38)

What kind of mounting issues will I encounter?

Can I hook up another car to charge current battery for interim while choosing replacement. I have a nice rental Grand Am tongue.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 20 2004, 02:02 PM)

nope, just remeber that the terminals are switched, you have to rotate the battery 180 deg to hook it up. wink.gif

Andy

I have one. you have to ask for the "reversed posts". Optima will send you a special "GM puck adaptor" to secure the battery in a 914 free of charge.

$99.00 at Interstate batteries(optima makes interstate).
seanery
the orange top is now red 34R if I recall.

I've got one of each 34 & 34R. The 34 (1 year old) fits better than the 34R (3 months old).
F4i
I've got one of each 34 & 34R. The 34 (1 year old) fits better than the 34R (3 months old).

Are they in 914's? Did they change the housing? Why does the 34 fit better than the 34r? please explain.
seanery
the old one came out and was replaced by the new one. The base is slightly different on the new one. It's actually held in place right now with zip ties. The old one fit no problem.

I'm gonna see if I can get the old one replaced (cause its dead).
F4i
If it is only 1 year old it should be under warranty.
seanery
yup, it should be.
Mark Henry
My Optima fit fine, although some guys had problems with their +battery cable being too short.

Also my clamp wouldn't fit right/tight. I cut a piece of door seal off of a Honda, slipped over the end that clamps down on the battery and it works like a charm.
BCinSC
Mark, did you get 34 or 34R? Is it mounted upright or on side? I just talked to local Interstate dealer who quoted about $120 with tax for 34R.

Can I hook up another car to charge current battery for interim while choosing replacement. I have a nice rental Grand Am
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jan 20 2004, 12:57 PM)
$99.00 at Interstate batteries(optima makes interstate).

Really???
There's a place by me that sells interstate sealed batteries with the same 6 cylinder type shape that the optima's have for about 80 bucks. Has "spillproof" stamped on the housing. Think that's just as good? idea.gif
Optima $100 unsure.gif Interstate $80 ???
TheCabinetmaker
Same thing would be my guess. I'll check with my friend(he's the manager of the local interstate battery store).
olav
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 20 2004, 12:02 PM)

Andy

Hey Andy,

I have one in my car.
olav
Battery Thread

Here's another battery discussion...
Joe Ricard
I've been researching a lead tin battery. By Hawker Don't have the link here at home. Anyway, battery big enough to crank the 928 wieghs 16lbs. vs 43 what came with it.

Actually put 914 battery in 928 and has been running fine for 3 months now.
ChrisReale
Optima all the way.
URY914
I checked my Costco and they have a $37.00 battery that weights about 20 pounds.

That's my kind of battery. Cheap and light.
(much unlike the women I like) wub.gif

Paul
Gint
When I bought my current teener, it came with an Optima red top. The date was stamped 1995. This thing is 8 (9) years old. And since my 914 hasn't run in almost a year, the battery is now in my 72 Chevy half ton 914 parts hauler. It kicks ass... I will never buy anything else. That last few DieHards only lasted 3-4 years.
Malmz
Got my last Yellow top off Ebay for a fair price and shipped to my door within a couple days cheaper then I could buy it locally. There are a couple guys on there that sell a bunch of them, just read the ads closely as always.

I run two yellow tops, two red tops, and a blue top. All cranking great every day, even if they sit. I will probably never buy another brand of battery.

sm
Mark Henry
QUOTE(BCinSC @ Jan 20 2004, 01:44 PM)
Mark, did you get 34 or 34R? Is it mounted upright or on side? I just talked to local Interstate dealer who quoted about $120 with tax for 34R.

My stock battery clamp just didn't bite onto the battery, plus the (sharp) edge of the clamp rubbed on the bottom of the cells. The piece of weather strip protected the battery and gave me the thickness to clamp the battery down good.

I can't remember the group # but it's the battery with the poles on the wrong side. Just fit on my '74.
djm914-6
I run two yellow tops, two red tops, and a blue top. All cranking great every day, even if they sit. I will probably never buy another brand of battery.

Is that why these cars have two trunks? Now I understand why you put in that V8! A /4 would never be able to haul all that weight around. Or maybe you replaced the 8 with an electric motor? wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.