Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 vs 914 in Quarter Mile?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I just rebuilt my 914 motor and created a 1911. Still breaking it in but am impressed with it's quickness. I also have a 1983 911 SC that I just got out of storage. I was thinking which car would win in a quarter mile race? What do you think? The 911 motor is purely stock. I am thinking I would put my money on the 914 - and it still has some tweaking to be done on the carbs.

Should post this on the 911 board except they would not have an appreciation of the 1911 motor.
VaccaRabite
My guess would be the SC. It weighs more, but has much more power, and better weight over the drive wheels.

Mid engined cars aren't much for drag racing.

Zach
So.Cal.914
First T-IV I built was a 1911, and what a difference from the 1.7. But I think you

would need a 1/4 mile of twisties to pull a six. My .02

Now there is no nitrous, turbos, etc?
Root_Werks
Plus a 1911 still has a short stroke crank. The 3.0 is a tq monster and that equals acceleration. I think the SC would pull away from the 914, but probably not by much. Even if the 1911 is puting out 110hp and 90tq, it probably only wieghs 2200lbs while the 911 with 180 and what, 190tq? (Can't remember), it weighs in close to 2700lbs. Do the math and on paper the SC wins.
sww914
I'm kind of wondering which one will break 1st gear off of the mainshaft first?
The SC has a 915 tranny so the 914 shaft will probably give out first. It will be interesting to see.
vesnyder
Having driven both in the twisties I would put my money on the 911 - much more stable. My 914 is balanced but not enough rubber and too much flex. Would need some work to get the stability of the 911! I was really curious in the 10-60 MPH - that is where I bet on the 914. After that the 3.0l of the 911 would kick in!
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(vesnyder @ May 7 2008, 08:29 PM) *

Having driven both in the twisties I would put my money on the 911 - much more stable. My 914 is balanced but not enough rubber and too much flex. Would need some work to get the stability of the 911! I was really curious in the 10-60 MPH - that is where I bet on the 914. After that the 3.0l of the 911 would kick in!

Wow... that's just wrong... 911s will walk away from me in the straights but I can real them in in the twisties... that was the specialty of the 914 being so balanced.
championgt1
QUOTE(sww914 @ May 7 2008, 08:26 PM) *

I'm kind of wondering which one will break 1st gear off of the mainshaft first?
The SC has a 915 tranny so the 914 shaft will probably give out first. It will be interesting to see.

agree.gif

Reving the car to 3 or 4 grand and dumping the clutch off the line= problems!
byndbad914
there isn't much to question, it is a pure function of HP/wt in the quarter mile assuming you have tires on it that will hook - that is about the only variable.

But put good slicks on both or any comparison is BS other than basing which is better by going to the track and seeing the mph of both regardless of ET. The mph tells you which one technically wins. As soon as you blow the tires off, then it isn't a question of which is better v. which is worse for hooking up.

Which has the lowest lbs/average HP? That one should win (most force v. pounds to accelerate, simple F=ma first law physics) and will run the higher mph.
zymurgist
Which car has the better driver? driving.gif driving-girl.gif

(as in, most attuned to the capabilities and limitations of the car)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.