Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: don't laugh but....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
I bought a duck tail spoiler at a swap meet... and I would like to paint it the same color as the rest of the body.

Does anybody have any pictures of installation... and/or suggestions on painting them? I'm guessing I have to primer and then paint? Or is it just straight paint?

C:>
Rusty
av-943.gif
Carlitos Way
I told you not to laugh!!!!
VaccaRabite
Fill any pits or divots with bondo. Prime and paint.

Mine is attached with big screws (ie, leak points) that go through the trunk and into the spoiler.

Zach
SLITS
Quack, quack, quack ....... it'll make your car waddle.

bye1.gif

av-943.gif
Carlitos Way
Even the squirrels quack at my questions!
messix
velcro? poke.gif

3m tape?

idea.gif
ericread
Years ago, when I was single, I did a number of things I'm not proud of. Once I even mounted a tire. But I never mounted a duck-tail spoiler. Trust me, walk away from this before you have regrets...
messix
watch out P.E.T.A might get wind of you wanting to mount said duck tailed spoiler and slap you with a restraining order to protect the poor spoiler sheeplove.gif
Carlitos Way
Well... I laid it down on top of the rear deck lid... and it's REALLY warped.. <sigh>

Might not look so pretty after all...
zymurgist
Did somebody say ducktail?

Click to view attachment
Joe Bob
They take a LOT of work to fit......they aren't a bolt on item.
RJMII
Nice new Avatar, Z. I like!

Got pics of said duck spoiler being warped on car? You're sure it isn't the car that is warped? (just checking, lots of different perceptions out there on bulletein boards)
RJMII
QUOTE(messix @ May 8 2008, 08:25 PM) *

watch out P.E.T.A might get wind of you wanting to mount said duck tailed spoiler and slap you with a restraining order to protect the poor spoiler sheeplove.gif

That group can't do ANYTHING right. Ugh. they messed up their own name even. It's not P.E.T.A.; it's PITA.
messix
QUOTE(RJMII @ May 8 2008, 10:33 PM) *

That group can't do ANYTHING right. Ugh. they messed up their own name even. It's not P.E.T.A.; it's PITA.

yes i agree! it must be the degeneration of the gray matter in their cranium caused from the lack of protein in their diet. jsharp.gif happy11.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(messix @ May 8 2008, 11:39 PM) *

QUOTE(RJMII @ May 8 2008, 10:33 PM) *

yes i agree! it must be the degeneration of the gray matter in their cranium caused from the lack of protein in their diet. happy11.gif

I signed my wife up for their mailings; they've got some good recipes! We just put chicken in place of their meat substitutes.
Oh, and we use some of their salads as sides for steak nights. good stuff!
sww914
Can you post a pic of the inside? It will help us figure out how to mount it. Mine is hollow and wouldn't hold any screws so I used some folding drywall anchors. No, not drywall screws wiseguys, drywall anchors. My car hardly has any drywall screws holding it together, mostly zipties.
It took a lot of sanding to get it to sit well on my decklid. Typical of fiberglass parts.
craig downs
Here is what I did with mine. I mounted it with the toggle bolts that Steve has shown.
I cut the ends off and mounted them on the fender. I then used resin with shreaded
fiberglass mat to mold it to the trunk and fenders then finished it up with a bondo with fiberglass strands. Its a lot of work but looks good when its done.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
markb
Carlos, In a few weeks we'll be doing the motor swap from the black car to the red car, and the black car is being parted out. Come up & get the trunk lid with the spoiler on it. It's yours for free, but ya gotta come & get it. This way you don't go drillin' holes in a perfectly good lid.
degreeoff
or buy one mounted already!...though muuch sanding was needed......

Click to view attachment
iamchappy
Mine was molded in also.
I would leave it off unless you have an extra rear lid to play with.
computers4kids
QUOTE(markb @ May 9 2008, 12:51 AM) *

Carlos, In a few weeks we'll be doing the motor swap from the black car to the red car, and the black car is being parted out. Come up & get the trunk lid with the spoiler on it. It's yours for free, but ya gotta come & get it. This way you don't go drillin' holes in a perfectly good lid.

Now that's an offer you should take. Hey, if you like the look go for it and give everyone ese the KMA.gif I'm personally not crazy about the look, but who cares. Of couse, I must admit...I did like the molded ones shown so far. idea.gif
dflesburg
chappy,

why does your third brake light face the wrong way?
ericread
QUOTE(dflesburg @ May 9 2008, 07:52 AM) *

chappy,

why does your third brake light face the wrong way?

That's for when he stops in reverse. laugh.gif
Carlitos Way

Mark,

That is really sounding like a great way to go.... and you're only about an hour's drive from me. Now the new challenge will be, repainting the new lid to match and the new question will be what do I do with the old lid.. and spoiler wink.gif

iamchappy
What you see is a grill for fresh air intake scoop over the intercooler.
7TPorsh
Ducktail??

Click to view attachment
markb
QUOTE(Carlitos Way @ May 9 2008, 08:13 AM) *

Mark,

That is really sounding like a great way to go.... and you're only about an hour's drive from me. Now the new challenge will be, repainting the new lid to match and the new question will be what do I do with the old lid.. and spoiler wink.gif

An hour? Wow, you really drive fast! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.