Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Diamond Silver metalic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
tod914
Just purchased a silver 74 2.0. I could of swore the paint code was 97D.
It has a Diamond Silver metalic sticker inside the door jam. Is this a
special order paint or is diamond silver metalic the standard silver color?
I'll verify the code once I get the car.

Thanks,

Tod
dw914er
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 9 2008, 11:20 AM) *

Just purchased a silver 74 2.0. I could of swore the paint code was 97D.
It has a Diamond Silver metalic sticker inside the door jam. Is this a
special order paint or is diamond silver metalic the standard silver color?
I'll verify the code once I get the car.

Thanks,

Tod

l97d is the standard silver metallic that was offered all years of the 914 (and almost all years of porsche)

They could have used a fancy name, but mine just has silver metalic, and i think my touch up kit from the car says just silver metallic too
dw914er
l96d*

l97d is metallic red i think
tod914
I just referenced the Johnson book, and the number 97D doesn't show up. 96D is Silver Metallic. I'll have to wait and see till the car arrives. Guessing
I got the number wrong, but the paint does seem a little darker than the
standard silvers I seen.
dw914er
if it is a 74, it could be marathon blue metallic, which the code for that is l96m i think. That is darker than the normal silver, with a blueish tint to it.

I tried to replecate something like that on my car, but it was originally just the l96d silver "silber" metallic
davep
http://www.roadglue.com/wiki/index.php/Exterior_color

L97A is Diamond Silver metallic, but AFAIK it started in late 1975, so you may have a 1975 model there? What is the VIN and body #'s. Please take a photo of the decal.
Pat Garvey
confused24.gif
tod914
dave 1974 vin 4742903831
jonferns
Hey Tod, where'd you get the car from?
tod914
Hey Jon, car was posted on one of the 914 sites and on ebay. It's over in NY across the Tapanzee bridge.
davep
Tod, please get photo of the decal and the Karmann badge please. Maybe it was early 74 that they changed over.
tod914
Dave I should have the car here by mid next week. It has the
sticker in the door jam too. I'll post the pics here for you.
tod914
Got the car, it's L96D two coat metallic silver. So either
the sticker I seen before was removed, or I was seeing
things screwy.gif

Click to view attachment
davep
Thanks Tod. Please check the Karmann badge as well. I really want to know the change from L96D to L97A via the body #. Part of the problem I think is that people do not check the Karmann badge when reporting their color. They know it is silver and choose the first one they find in the list. Please get info from your '75 also please.
tod914
Car needs a good cleaning, but here you for the silver one Dave.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
jonferns
Hey Tod, any more pics of the car? BTW, I sent you an email about getting some rocker panel rivets. wavey.gif
tod914
Hey Johnathan, got your email. Soon as I get a chance to clean it up a bit, I'll
post some shots. Ray took me to pick it up. The trip went well. Little bottle neck
on the way home over the bridge. But other than that was smooth sailing. I have
to head over to one of the shops there to get the original tires. PO, put on some
new ones.
Got a chance to see Ray's new addition on his home too. Turned out real nice. Think he'll have a 914 for each day of the week before long.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.