Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Busted CV Joint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
agent9
let me first say hello, I have used these forums as a resource for a long time, and can not begin to explain how helpful the whole 914 community has been. you guys really know your stuff.

so i have a 1970 914, when i purchased it the body and interior were in super shape, but it had terrible compression on the "rebuilt" 1.7 with about 20k miles on it. so i drove it until it died, which was my plan all along, then put a 2.0 in it (1.7 case with 2L heads). correction, i had someone else put it in. im def not afraid to work on a car, but i leave the heavy stuff to pros.

so tonight i was driving it, and i heard a pop, and lost all power to the wheels. a bit hap hazardly i left it in gear and crawled under it to see what the deal was. the boot between the trans axle and axle on the driver side was spinning, but the axel itself was not engaged. assuming this was a CV i called a friend to verify. he not only informed me it was a CV but also that they were NLA. you can only start to imagine how happy i was to hear that.

so i have read up a bit, and understand there are some options out there.

as i understand it i can do some retro fit and get a 944, or a VW type 1 to fit with some machining. i do have a close friend who is a skilled welder and metal worker who could do any machining i needed.

i also read about people offered modified type 1 or 944 CVs.

are these still the options? is one route better then the other. ideally i would find a solution that was cost effective enough to just replace all four CV joints, and maybe the axles while i was down there so prevent a break down in the future.

so any advice would be greatly welcome.

thanks in advance,
Ezra (in LA).

ps: this is my daily driver, and while i work from home it would none the less be idea to find a part source in SOCAL or who offered quick delivery.

thanks again!
bperry
Here it is already done for you:

PMB performance CV joint Kit

--- bill
Jake Raby
The PMB unit appears to use the 6 bolts, like the Type 1. They don't illustrate the two dowels and 4 bolts that the 914 uses..

It says that it's "Machined" but I don't see the work done in the pic.. And how about the dowels?
Joe Bob
I bought a new set of CVs from High Performance House. 650-364-6234
rick 918-S
welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif show us yer car.
McMark
The PMB replacement CVs are drilled for the pins. They are 100% bolt on and work great. There are a TON of cars using them on here.
Eric_Shea
It says that it's "Machined" but I don't see the work done in the pic.. And how about the dowels?

Photo is a "stock" photo from my parts supplier. You would use the existing pins from your CV's. I'm not the only one doing this. I'm just the least expensive, by far. I've updated the copy to accurately reflect the machining etc.
agent9
great to know, im going to go ahead and order two of them now. the cv joint is the same at the wheel end of the axle correct? as long as that is the case i am planning on ordering another pair for the wheel ends once they get more in stock.

rick: thanks for the welcome, i will snap some pictures when i get a chance. i am actually on crutches as a result of a motorcycle accident, so im not as mobile as usual, and you all know if i am going to take pictures i need to was and wax first =] my girl really needs a wash and wax anyways, so pictures are a good motivator.

tnx again for all the great help.
Eric_Shea
Both are the same. wink.gif

welcome.png
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 10 2008, 09:13 AM) *

I've updated the copy to accurately reflect the machining etc.

Hey E., you've got a typo in your copy ... shades.gif

We're now including a CV gasket an 4 new Schnorr locking washers FREE with every kit!!

should read:

"... CV gasket and 4 new Schnorr ..."

bye1.gif Andy
agent9
for all those asking for pics and other details:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=83801

there you go, enjoy.

Eric_Shea
"D" added...

Danke Amigo.
ericread
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 10 2008, 11:21 AM) *

Both are the same. wink.gif

welcome.png

Oh sure Eric. You wait to give him the welcome.png until after he promised to order from you...

I see how it is!!! biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Damn straight... "First I Look at the Purse!"

Jerome Giles, Peter Wolf, Magic Dick and Company wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.