Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shed some light for me please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmill
I've always loved the porsche. I sold my 924S last year and now I rue the day. I'm looking to buy a 914. I don't think I can afford the 2.0. Can you guys shed some light on the 914 for me. What should I look for? What are the best years in your opinion and why? Can 5k get me a solid car? Thats about all the wife will turn me loose with.

Thanks
dw914er
best thing to look out for is rust. Rust is the enemy. Most will have some, but its the degree that matters. Look in the engine bay, aka the hell hole, and rockers/longs.

depends where you look, but im sure you could find a decent car for 5k, and right now is probably the best time to start investing, as these cars are going up.

any 2l (4 or 6) are always great. After that, the 1.7 for 73 would be the next option. You get the better side shift tranny, and do not have the emission stuff that is common with the 1.8 that came after late 73 (aka the start of the 74 production year), and 75 (76 too) have those big rubber bumpers.

With any old car, it will be an on going project, but if it runs well, is ion decent shape, and minimal rust, it will be a fun car.

The 914 usually will run pretty well if you give it the attention, but if it is ignored, then it can go downhill pretty fast maintence wise.

But the basic nature of the 914 is that t is one of the best handling cars you can find in my mind. It is a simple driving car, with a nice relaxed and comfortable, but assured feel to its drive, and it can always put a smile on your face. It isnt really quick (unless you do a v8/subie/3.0ish 6 conversion), but it still is a blast to drive.

If concours is your thing, then there are additional things to look for, but if you just want a fun car to drive, then just find what you want.

And always ask more advice when you need it, we are all here to help in this passion.

-and I hope this was pretty good advice
SLITS
Try this from Pelican

This should give you an idea. $5K should get a reasonably nice one.
ericread
If you are a bit patient, you should be able to find a '74 or '75 2.0L for around $5K. A lot of this depends upon what you plan to use it for and how much work you want to put into it. Since you're a Porsche guy already, we don't need to tell you much about potential rust problems to look out for.

Pelican Parts has a pretty good primer on what to look for when buying a 914:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/How_to_buy_a_914.htm

Good luck, and welcome.png
Sleepin
I will help a fellow cheesehead out I guess! biggrin.gif

Check around the classifieds here, on the Pelican board, NARP, Club, Samba...and last but not least eBay. 5K is a decent start for a good driver for probably a 75-76 2.0 (75-76 cars usually go for a little less). Probably the most sought after year is 73. Some prefer the 72's. Watch and be patient, you can find something solid for 5k easy. You can pick up 1.8's for pretty cheap, but they are not too desireable (lowest hp rating due to different fuel injection) although the 1.8's seem a little more reliable IMHO.
Be careful when buying from the rust states....buying a car in California and paying $1k to get it transported is often a better bet than spending $5k for a car in the rust states and picking it up.

Patience, patience, patience is what I can share. Good deals come around.....and I can guarantee as soon as you pick one up...a better deal will come around!

If you really want a great deal...see here. $6900...more than your budget, but well worth the asking price.

'73 2.0
jmill
I fairly handy. I'm an aircraft mechanic that now works for a power utility. I don't mind engine rebuilds and suspention work. I don't even mind welding in repair panels and painting the car. I don't need a concourse either. But I would like a car that I can turn into one. For 5k I'm hoping to get a car with a decent engine and a solid body that I can drive to work in the summer and fix up in the winter.
dw914er
that car in that ad is odd.

the exterior pictures show a tan interior, while the interior pictures show it as black
jmill
I saw that too. Most likely before and after pics. The ad says fairly new interior. The car is very nice. No doubt it's worth the money. The wife would skin me alive for spending 7K plus about 1K for shipping. 5K for the car is about all I can go. Don't be afraid to post or pm me if you guys see something decent a little closer to my price range. I appreciate the help. You have the knowledge I need to tap into. Ebay is good but I always feel like there might be fishy stuff going on when the price shoots beyond the cars obvious value.
KaptKaos
Where abouts in Wisco are you?
jmill
I live in Racine. It's about halfway between Milwaukee and Chicago.
Dave_Darling
The best year and model to get is the one with the least rust on it.

Mechanical work is not that bad, but structural rust is a pain to fix up well.

--DD
STL914
I might suggest giving Brad Mayeur a call. He's the Midwest 914 garu; owns
914LTD in East Peoria, IL. Just a couple of hours from you. I've bought two of my cars thru Brad; great guy willing to help in any way he can. If he doesn't have any cars to sell, he can certainly point you in the right direction.

Phone number is 309-694-1797.

Gary
[former Cheesehead from West Bend]
rhodyguy
scroll down the page a bit and read the thread about the owner in sheboygan asking for some value help on his 73' 2.0. atleast the car is in your state and might be what you're looking for.

k
jmill
Thanks for the help guys. I've sent about 4 PM's and emails to car owners. Just waiting for word back. I'll call Brad on Monday. Having a source close to home is a good thing.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jmill @ May 9 2008, 10:55 PM) *

I live in Racine. It's about halfway between Milwaukee and Chicago.

My (1st) Ex-Wife was born in Racine ...

bye1.gif Andy
jmill
I know it's Mothers Day weekend and all. But you'd figure all these folks trying to sell their cars would check their email.

Racine is a nice little town unless you want to find rust free cars. I lived in SF California for 30 years. It's quite a culture shock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.