Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Excellence
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
The rag came in the mail today. They have an article on the 10 best Porsche drivers. I'll be dipped in do-do, the 914 came in #6.

Compared to every model Porsche roadcar built, that ain't too bad.....except the Boxster S is rated at #5.... headbang.gif
Joe Bob
Well....at least the Box was an "S" model....hopefully it was a stick and not an automatic....
Eric_Shea
Tom's a teener... no surprise there smile.gif
J P Stein
They had a pannel of exspurts do the ratings:Sienfeld, Rohrl, Springer,BA, ect.....no Tom Teener...never heard of him laugh.gif

The new Carrera GT came out on top....big surprise....mid engine, at least.
Eric_Shea
I didn't know Jerry Springer drove a Porsche! lol3.gif

(Tom Toldrain... Publisher type guy)
dsmeyer
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 20 2004, 05:39 PM)
The rag came in the mail today. They have an article on the 10 best Porsche drivers. I'll be dipped in do-do, the 914 came in #6.

Compared to every model Porsche roadcar built, that ain't too bad.....except the Boxster S is rated at #5.... headbang.gif

I hope the truck wasn't on the list...

Ferrari will never built a truck.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dsmeyer @ Jan 20 2004, 02:40 PM)
Ferrari will never built a truck.

they already did! wink.gif

porsche made tractors too.
Andy
iamchappy
The teener might of finished higher if they allowed 3 liter conversions with the group. smilie_flagge24.gif
Joe Ricard
Dumped my subscription to that rag about 2 years ago. Started getting it when I bought the 928. Magazine actually had more car articles than advertisements. Go figure. Just can't stomach 150 pages of "Tech art" Rennsport this and that. Only to get one half way decent car feature about a guy who threw so much money at a 911 that he only drives to the photo shoot.
Eric_Shea
Ad to Edit ratio is a bit high but they seem to have a captive audience... look what a POS Pano is. barf.gif

For a 179 page book they shouldn't be any higher than 60:40 otherwise readers notice (point proven). I'd like to see a couple more signatures of edit (16 pages). Ross Periodicals is making a lot of money off that magazine...
redshift
Eric's magazine is beautiful, and not full of shit, err... rather it IS full of shit, shit you'd love to read.

Porsche-centric publications are not very good anymore, there is a reason.. it's about the cars, the cars I don't care about, and 50,000 wheels for sale.

M
Eric_Shea
(I'm starting to like you again...) <_<
olav
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 20 2004, 01:39 PM)
The rag came in the mail today. They have an article on the 10 best Porsche drivers. I'll be dipped in shit, the 914 came in #6.

What do they mean about "Porsche drivers"? A half million dollar car
is a driver?

I'd say the 914 did pretty well.
maf914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jan 20 2004, 03:43 PM)
Just can't stomach 150 pages of "Tech art" Rennsport this and that. Only to get one half way decent car feature about a guy who threw so much money at a 911 that he only drives to the photo shoot.

That pretty well sums up my feelings about so many of the Excellence features. Take a brand new Porsche and just start adding a bunch of expensive stuff. Over and over again. European Car magazine, which evolved from the old VW & Porsche, took that course and is now just about useless. Oh, well...

Mike
J P Stein
QUOTE(redshift @ Jan 20 2004, 04:27 PM)
Eric's magazine is beautiful, and not full of shit, err... rather it IS full of shit, shit you'd love to read.

I'm apparently missing something here.
Eric's Magazine? An explanation, perhaps?

Those of us on the fringe element are never gonna be totaly happy with the content of Excellence. An article in this latest issue has a fella spending 200K in upgrades on his 996TT......it's another world, eh?

There has been enuff gud stuff in it over the years to make it worthwhile to me. Where else are you gonna find an article on Wayne Baker's IMSA 914?
Eric_Shea
I'm apparently missing something here.
Eric's Magazine? An explanation, perhaps?

Guitar Player Magazine
Bass Player Magazine

But... Miles is biased (amongst other things) w00t.gif
maf914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 21 2004, 11:38 AM)
Those of us on the fringe element are never gonna be totaly happy with the content of Excellence. An article in this latest issue has a fella spending 200K in upgrades on his 996TT......it's another world, eh?

There has been enuff gud stuff in it over the years to make it worthwhile to me. Where else are you gonna find an article on Wayne Baker's IMSA 914?

Yeah, I guess you're right. I still subscribe and there are some articles that I really like, even if i can't afford to do the same stuff. Like the long term restoration of the 356 roadster, brought back from a rust heap. Amazing and $$$...

And I guess I'd like those articles where guys throw the big bucks at their cars, if I had 200K to casually blow on my latest auto project.

Of course I wouldn't be f-ing around with the 914 either! laugh.gif

Nahhh, just kidding! laugh.gif

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.