Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass Rear Valance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Finally got my fiberglass /6 valance installed this morning. Bought it from AA (i know, i know) and was told that it will fit perfectly. av-943.gif

Well, after some hours of glass work and having my tail pipe relocated I finally got it on.

I like the look, but what a headache.

Here's a before and after...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 10 2008, 12:12 PM) *

Finally got my fiberglass /6 valance installed this morning. Bought it from AA (i know, i know) and was told that it will fit perfectly. av-943.gif

Well, after some hours of glass work and having my tail pipe relocated I finally got it on.

yup wrong muffler! You have a 911 muffler on your car not a 914-6! The tail pipe exit is the difference.
Allan
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 10 2008, 12:24 PM) *

yup wrong muffler! You have a 911 muffler on your car not a 914-6! The tail pipe exit is the difference.

Actually George, relocating the tailpipe was the easy part. There were no mounting tabs at all on the ends, 2 of the tabs under the bumper were paper thin, certain areas of the valance were so thin you could almost see through them, and there were gouges all over it.

Otherwise it fit perfectly. wacko.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Well I made a deal to buy all of the molds that have long been captured by an old Porsche company. I am going to improve them and spit the stuff out. We never in the past wanted to make what someone else is already making, too small a market too many parts needed, but have always had a problem with the supply and quality of fiberglass. Stay tuned, as they say. We will have some really good stuff soon. Gt rockers almost done, by the way!
SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 10 2008, 12:36 PM) *

We will have some really good stuff soon.

how about a 916 front bumper that is actually molded from the original!?!

the ones out there all have this really ugly "dimple" in the middle. barf.gif

not too many of us have access to the "real thing" to make a good mold from it ...
shades.gif Andy
dw914er
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 10 2008, 12:56 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 10 2008, 12:24 PM) *

Actually George, relocating the tailpipe was the easy part. There were no mounting tabs at all on the ends, 2 of the tabs under the bumper were paper thin, certain areas of the valance were so thin you could almost see through them, and there were gouges all over it.

Otherwise it fit perfectly. wacko.gif

after i ruined my old big fiberglass air damn in the front (tow truck was just too steep for that being so low), i installed the stock front valence pan back onto the car. Thing was almost impossible to fit on, didnt seen to fit well, the screws were funky, and that was original to the car!

not sure if anyone else had problems like that, but mine was a bit*h to put on.

looks great though!
scotty b
Welcome to the world of aftermarket parts gentlemen. Don't think for a second that ANY one makes aftermarket pieces for ANY car that fit properly. Whether it is a factory piece that has been copied or a custom body kit, they all suck sad.gif

I spent 20 minutes thursday modifying a fender liner for an Accord THAT HAD NOT BEEN IN AN ACCIDENT EVER, because the aftermarket one was such a P.O.S.
rhodyguy
so...the "deluxe" special edition front valance, made from "precise" molds, is neither "deluxe" nor "precise".

k
championgt1
popcorn[1].gif
vespasoul
lets not fdorget
these cars were all still hand made
i've never seen any two "exactly" the same
no way to make a perfect fit for every car
SirAndy
QUOTE(vespasoul @ Jul 15 2008, 09:43 PM) *

these cars were all still hand made

tell that the poor spot weld robot at karman ...
shades.gif Andy
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 10 2008, 12:12 PM) *

As usual, your results are excellent ! aktion035.gif
r_towle
I saw a guy that showed up at Hershey this year to sell his car.
He had a rear valance and rear bumper, both fiberglass.
Both melted on his way to the event due to high heat on the highway from his muffler.

That just made me only want metal back there.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.