Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT-Rcv'd. PCA Renewal Statement--Survey-Yes/No
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TJB/914
Hi Guys,

How about a survey regarding PCA renewal's????

I am cutting back on all magazines along with business stuff. I just got my PCA membership renewal statement @ $42.00 per year. I've been a member for more than 15-years & need to decide if they talk to me anymore??????? Monthly Pano is ok, but most of the time nothing seems to be of interest to me. Local Regional group will let me attend so I am always welcome. Soooo the decision is do I want to send PCA $42.00 bucks for a years renewal? headbang.gif
What are you guys doing about PCA?? unsure.gif What are the benifits anymore since they never include 914 information?? 914's seems to be PCA's stepchild.

Tom
BTW: I just sent in my EXCELLENCE 2-year renewal, because they talk to me & I read every page of of this magazine cover to cover. They cover all Porsche. The only thing missing is Porsche tractors, you listening Pete!!
rhodyguy
+ you don't have to drive to borders, pay stand price, and drive home. real inexpensive with mutli year subscriptions

k
TheCabinetmaker
I quit renewing about 5 years ago. I don't think anyone in the region even knows, as I still attend the functions and they still snub the teen!
racerbvd
It just pisses those PCA pricks off to know that our old 914s are worth more than their leased boxsters bootyshake.gif
ericread
Since I joined PCA last year I've been to a number of Saturday Donut get-togethers (at the Block, In Orange County, CA). The times I have attended they treated me as well as anyone else, including the guy who showed up in the Cayman previously owned by Nicholas Cage (for about 10 days). Most of them wanted to take a look inside my teener and wanted to talk about why the 914's do so well in AX. Keep in mind that while I have done a lot of work on the car in the past year, I haev done nothing to the outside yet (paint and appearance). Maybe the PCA highbrows just don't attend the Saturday events, but I have always been welcomed and never made to feel inferior in any way. By the same token, I walk in without any feelings of inferiority (or superiority laugh.gif ) whatsoever.

I am volunteering my time for the Newport Beach Concours ("Topless at the Beach") event next month, so I'll see how those folks feel about a teener in their midst. biggrin.gif

I guess being treated poorly by your PCA peers is just another penalty of not living in Southern California. sad.gif
J P Stein
I've been in the PCA for bout 10-12 years and hang out with the gearheads...we have the same genes regardless of car type.
Excellence was slipping down my gotta have it list till they did a *good* article on the
Kirby car and another on the Milestone car in the latest issue. Good articles are getting fewer & farther between there....sorry, Pete, that's my take. I'm getting it out of habit.
SGB
Boy- do I feel lucky. My PCA group keeps adding teeners. I think two 911 guys have now got 2 liter 914-4s as well. Plus me and Rusty. I get LOTS out of PCA, and I'm not even that active. We have dinners and tours and tech sessions. This group is into more track events - they do DEs with all the surrounding PCA and BMWCCA regions- over and over at Road Atlanta and Barber and Memphis. I wish I had the time. The have a monthly dinner. They have a monthly breakfast. The pres sends out all kinds of trivia on Porsche- from historical and racing and even business perspectives. That said, I find Pano kinda thin. But I will continue my sub to EXCELLENCE. I think that mag gets better with every issue. It just makes perfect sense that Pete has a 914. I am in awe for one reason or another from every issue. I don't see how he comes up with some of those articles. Maybe they are unsolicited. Or maybe they sit around drinking coffee saying ,"well, what great insider knowledge do we have this time?" before launching of into another evaluation of an unknown prototype or complicated personality.

EXCELLENCE makes me smile...

like this smile.gif
Eric_Shea
EXCELLENCE-Yes PCA-Undecided??

agree.gif Has nothing to do with teeners though. Not seeing the value as of late.
dw914er
i didnt renew this year, still come out anyways to some of the events. The website is open for all, and i sign in, and i doubt anyone will notice.

as for the 914 in pca, our riverside region is pretty good. The president has a nice 914-6, and when we did one of the breakfast/tour of the petersen auto museum, all the other members were like i need to finish my 914/drive my 914 for this, etc
jsayre914
I also did not renew 2 years ago, porsche patter was cool, but not that cool. dry.gif
they had me down the entire time as owning a boxter mad.gif and they just couldnt fix it anyway. seems like i am not missed, and im still with my buddys biggrin.gif
TJB/914
I am going to renew my PCA membership one more year because the local guys are great & I want to continue our friendship. As to the national PCA people in charge they are out of touch with the entire membership. As in all good successful companies everything starts at top mgt. They are on a course of membership failure leaving out 914 acknowledgements. National PCA needs an attitude adjustment to recognize all Porsche activity. What a bunch of jerks with their pinky finger up there nostrils. smash.gif

Tom
Joe Bob
It's about the people. I used to enjoy the San Diego crowd until they turned into elitist pricks. The Santa Barbara PCA was total Concour weenies until the Prez withered up and died. The new guy let me get the AX back at the local showgrounds.....so it gets better if you are involved have an ally on the board.

mudfoot76
I keep renewing my PCA membership because it earns me discounts on registration for DEs in my area (and the discounts on one event more than make up for the annual membership). Pano is an OK magazine, but I do like Excellence better.
URY914
I dropped out after 15 years.
mightyohm
I dropped out too last year. I'd rather donate to 914world instead.
sww914
I just renewed after a couple of years of not paying. The old membership prick sent a crappy email and a couple of crappy letters for my failure to renew on time so I told him to eat shit.
I only renewed so that I could instruct at the upcoming Buttonwillow event.
The new President is a full on racer but the old guard is giving him tons of grief for hosting 1 race event a year.
That's why I call it the brokeback vineyard region, they're a bunch of wine and Q tip woosies.
Porsche were made to be driven, not hold wine glasses and cheese trays.
racerbvd
QUOTE(sww914 @ May 12 2008, 12:16 PM) *

I just renewed after a couple of years of not paying. The old membership prick sent a crappy email and a couple of crappy letters for my failure to renew on time so I told him to eat shit.
I only renewed so that I could instruct at the upcoming Buttonwillow event.
The new President is a full on racer but the old guard is giving him tons of grief for hosting 1 race event a year.
That's why I call it the brokeback vineyard region, they're a bunch of wine and Q tip woosies.
Porsche were made to be driven, not hold wine glasses and cheese trays.

In My old region, the BOD had a drive & dine the same weekend as RRRIII, in Hiltonhead, SC. Daytona is part of the local region and most of the board chose to go to Hiltonhead over the biggest Porsche event of the year confused24.gif Sounds like a real car club doesn't it, oh yea, the current prez leases a boxster sheeplove.gif These clowns would rather brag about what they lease than own & drive a Porsche. Too bad thiis is what is going on (according to friends from around the country) in many, maybe not all, but too many PCA regions sad.gif
jr91472
Excellence is a no brainer for me....YES

PCA - seeing that I attend the majority of the PCA a/x events and I get a discount as a PCA member, the dues are close to nothing. So YES.

Fortunately for me, the Maverick Region has many teeners and we are very well accepted. I guess it just depends on the folks.

beerchug.gif
70Sixter
I have been PCA member for 39 years. I used to AX or time trial my -6 before there was club racing. The 914 and I are too old for that now. But PCA never cared what you brung to the events as long as it was a Porsche.

Now I used the main website for classifieds, events schedules, tech info,and Q&A. And you can change any of your info online. And the regional website for local stuff. The Mart gives you a chance at rare parts before Pano arrives in everyone elses mailbox.

They (in legal dept) have helped me recover money or products bought from PCAers who were slow to deliver parts.

I periodically get a free valuation on my -6 for my stated value insurance policy.

I enjoy the 10% discount on parts.

I belong to the 914 Special Interest Group (SIG) and the 914-6 Register.

I have gotten PPI info from accredited experts, and I always take Pano when I travel in case I need help from a local member.

The local Hurricane Region has more events than I care to travel to, but there is a more local and informal coastal group that meets regularly. They plead for old cars of any model to participate.

There is a charity concours this month for those so inclined. I could go on.

So yep, I recently renewed online.

I think the 914 owners are not inclined to write articles about our cars and document restorations or race prep.

Sorry this got so long. sad.gif smile.gif beerchug.gif

TeenerTim
Here's one reason to renew your PCS membership. Performance Products gives a 15% discount to PCA members. You have to call in the order instead of placing it on-line. I just saved $60 on a pair of Koni shocks. I wish I'd known that when I placed my last order.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ May 10 2008, 11:43 AM) *

What are you guys doing about PCA?? unsure.gif

i just renewed. the local zone is very active and they put on a lot of events.

for me, money well spent ...
shades.gif Andy
smj
Excellence is a must for me, but so is my PCA membership. DE was about the only thing I did with the club until I moved out here, but that was reason enough for me right there.

About two years after I moved out here I finally made it to one of the local region's monthly dinners and found a friendly bunch of folks. And since there was a volunteer drought and a lack of activity, I wound up offering to help and eventually wound up on the board.

Interesting seeing what it's like trying to build momentum in a region when only a few folks are stepping forward to help make it happen. If you're in the East Bay and would be willing to share any gripes or kudos about the local situation, I'm willing to buy you a beer and listen.
Borderline
I bought the 914 because it was a 914, not because it was a Porsche. I never even thought of it as a Porsche until I got involved here an found that the local regions of the PCA ran AX's! I've been AX'ing with the LPR for almost 3 years now and they are great! We recently went to out first social event and it was great! I was surprised that there wasn't much talk about cars and who owned what. Very casual. biggrin.gif
TJB/914
Thanks everybody. I've been up & down with my PCA decision, but finally decided to renew for another year. Hopefully the national level PCA people will realize we need 914 content. They need to recognize all Porsche enthusiasts, expecially 914. flag.gif

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.