Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb Timing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Oled
I have been using a stock fuel injecton system on my 2.0 for almost 20 years. A guy I know came by the house yesterday to have me help him set his timing. Unfortunately he has twin Webers with a mechanical advance distributor. He had no reference material for settings. What is the timing set point for this engine that has a stock cam and stock pistons?
Cap'n Krusty
Probably best to use the stock full advance mark and setting procedure. Might add in a couple of degrees, but no more than that. The Cap'n
Carlitos Way
What's the "stock full advance mark and setting procedure"?

Am I the only one who doesn't know it?

C:>
SGB
Its the "full advance" point, which should be at, what, 27degrees btdc? I really can't recall what the "static' timing point was with my Bosch 0.50 (I went to a Mallory). Seems like it was prety high- 10 or 11 degrees btdc. That ends up with a pretty high final advance. Thats b/c those bosch dizzies have steep advance (good) but to much advance at high rpms (bad) When you set based on the full advance, that can't happen. I think that is the value in the full advance concept is that you take a more conservative setting - less likeley to overheat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.