Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Browser and Mail Programs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PRS914-6
I need to change Mail and Browser. I have been using an old version of Netscape mail (7.2) and Netscape Browser is going bye bye. I like them both but they are unsupported now.

Thinking of Firefox and Thunderbird. Can anyone comment on this? I hate to download everything and not be happy. Never been a big fan of Microsoft....

It would be nice to be able to move all my mail to another program...open for suggestions.
smontanaro
I use Thunderbird for work mail on my Mac at home and on Solaris systems at work. I presume T-bird on Windows isn't all that different. I use Firefox as a browser also. I'm currently using the 3.0beta5 release on my Mac. It's pretty nice.

Skip
VaccaRabite
Go with your instincts.
Firefox rocks.

Zach
Dave_Darling
Firefox and Thunderbird. What I use, and what I believe in. Might (at some point) move to the Mozilla Suite (has browser, mail client, composer; basically what Netscrape used to have before they split it up into pieces.

--DD
PRS914-6
Thanks for the replies. If you are using Firefox and Thunderbird and click a url link or a mail link will it automatically pull up the correct program?

I'm assuming you can have multiple profiles like Netscape Browser (me and wife)?

Will Thunderbird pull all the profiles and their messages over from Netscape 7.2 mail?

Thanks again....
Gint
Depends on your os and whether or not you've change your default browser and mail application in the os. You should be able to do that with no issues.

Thunderbird and Firefox are what I use on all platforms. And I do use many current popular platforms. Windows, Solaris X86, Mac OSX 10, etc...

I also made the move form Netscape mail to Thunderbird a year and a half or so ago. You will easily be able to import your Netscape ail and bookmarks etc...
914nerd
Another vote in support of Firefox and Thunderbird
PRS914-6
Wow, I'm surprised at how many use it. I went ahead and downloaded Thunderbird. It pulled all my mail and address book over no problem and works just like the old Netscape. It however would only pull one profile (mine) but my wife's addresses are small in number.

To open the profile manger you have to go to "run" and type thunderbird.exe -ProfileManager How do you make a shortcut out of that?
Gint
Assuming your on a windows box, right click on an empty area of the desktop and select new -> shortcut. The rest should be fairly self-explanatory based on what you've said here so far.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Gint @ May 11 2008, 09:54 AM) *

Assuming your on a windows box, right click on an empty area of the desktop and select new -> shortcut. The rest should be fairly self-explanatory based on what you've said here so far.

Tried that but no go... thanks.

I figured it out......In the Thunderbird shortcut properties you have to add a space and "-ProfileManager" to the end of the target and now the Profile manager launches first.

I'll load up Firefox tonight and see how that goes.........Thanks for all the help. One nice thing about this group is a little younger audience and more computer savvy... smile.gif
Dave_Darling
It's easier just to have separate accounts for each person on the computer, rather than separate profiles... That's what Lisa and I do, at least.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.