Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My car broke!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jesiv
Ok the clutch went out in my car today! Which means... replace clutch, rebuld the trans, a 5 lug conversion, shocks, paint........... Not going there. I do not want to start the restore... I don't want to do that!!! I don't want a project!!! I want to buy your completed project!

So..............

So, I want a new 914. I don't want a project to make a new 914. I want your car. I want your car if it is totally stock (/6 or 2L). I want your car if you have totally restored car to its original stock specifications (/6 or 2L). I want your car if you have solid /6 conversion. I want your car if you have totally fixed it. I want to buy a car that I can enjoy. I want your car.

I am the guy that just wants to write a check (just one) and have a reliable car. If you have a car in this category you want to sell please PM me.

Regards,

James

PeeGreen 914
I would say you could buy mine but then I'd want to kill myself. If you can write a check you might as well just do it and get what you want. You'll always want to do things to a car, but letting someone do the really expensive stuff first puts you in a much better place.
KELTY360
Are you sure it's not just a blown fuse? biggrin.gif

Seriously, that bites, but you've got to expect it with any 35 year old car. The warranty has expired on all these cars. You need to fix the clutch anyway if you want to sell it when you get something else. There's a '74 2.0L in the classifieds for $19K that might suit your needs, but you probably won't get any guarantees with that one either.

Good luck finding the bulletproof vintage sportscar. headbang.gif
jesiv
Yes, I looked at it and have looked at others as well. I am hoping that this will bring out a looker/keeper.

I choose not to say why I don't want a car. I don't think that is fair. I really am looking for "my car".

James
dw914er
QUOTE(jesiv @ May 11 2008, 12:37 AM) *

Yes, I looked at it and have looked at others as well. I am hoping that this will bring out a looker/keeper.

I choose not to say why I don't want a car. I don't think that is fair. I really am looking for "my car".

James

easiest way to get your car could be through building it.

to find one already done, it can be a long search.

in either case, the right car will be worth the effort
Joe Bob
Ummm, pull my finger, click here, write me a check......
geniusanthony
Its not like a clutch takes that long? its summer..fix the clutch and enjoy. While you are enjoying you can start squirreling away parts
Allan
I voted to just fix the clutch. A driving restoration gives you the best of both worlds. You get to enjoy the car (It is summer ya know) and learn along the way.

But just in case,

How big of a check are you willing to write? biggrin.gif
Gint
If you're buying a 914, no matter how nice it is when it first arrives at your house, something on it will break or need maintenance pretty soon and you'll then have to fix it. If you're a checkbook guy (not that there's anything wrong with that!) maybe a 35 year old car is not right for you. Unless you have a very big checkbook balance and aren't afraid to use it. And if that's the case, you might as well start using it with the 914 you already have.
zymurgist
BTDT.

A couple of years back, I volunteered to fix Babydoll's clutch as it had oil all over it. Doing the clutch isn't so bad. The only thing I would be concerned about would be the "while I'm in there" syndrome.

I learned a lot about 914's, including how to drop the powertrain.
JWest
You can buy mine...

TheCabinetmaker
James, I don't remember the blue accent on your car. I like it.

Jesiv, James has a very nice car. you won't find much better.
Jeffs9146
Yes James car is nice!

Not that I am byass!! I miss that car!! I should have kept it.

You did make a few alterations? Do you still have the front spoiler?
Heeltoe914
I understand!! sometimes you just wont to get going as fast as you can and buying a done car is faster and in the long run cheaper than doing one shop by shop and ceck by check.
Whatever car you buy you can slowly add your own personal touches to make it your own.

Just be sure to have it checked out very well so you dont end up where you are now.
toon1
Will the car run and drive just fine if the clutch is replaced?

A clutch job is a half day's work, you can then drive the car.

What is wrong with the tranny?

Usually, first gear NTBR, 1st and 2nd gear syncro's and sliders NTBR. Seals are easy to replace. for a couple hundred( minus bearing problems) the tranny will be good for another 70k.

is the car driveable without the 5 lug?

HOw's the engine running? did you get the rich condition solved?

It seems that even completely restored cars will have problems eventually.

If it where me, I'd fix what you have, but then I am able to fix those issues. I don't know if you can. If you can, go for it.

If not, throw a work party.

Do you have pics of your car??
Wes V
Heck, 914's are 30 some years old and most didn't live a "respected" life. It's best to say that they recieved "vw" maintainence, if at all.

Any 30 year old car will have issues!!!!!

If the body on your car is sound and it's just the current clutch and transmission problems that are getting to you, (and you don't mind writing checks) here is what I'd recommend;

Find a quality shop near you and have them re-build another transmission (not just a junk yard replacement). Once done, drive the car to the shop and have them replace the transmission and clutch. It should be a one day swap.

Schedule work to be done on the car prior to it breaking!! Have the shop find and rebuild all the parts to do a 5 lug swap. Schedule when they can do the work and drop it off. The car should be down for only two days (slow work at the shop). Write the check.

The thing is to find a shop that you trust. If they recommend replacing something as a preventative measure, do it.

Wes
BMXerror
Get a Boxster. dry.gif
Mark D.
jsayre914
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
What does your car look like???
It cant be that pretty if your ready to drop it like that dry.gif
bperry
I'd say go buy yourself a new Elise.
Trevorg7
James - You can buy mine, you have seen it, its close by, and you know it has a rebuilt transmission!

thumb3d.gif

T
toon1
QUOTE(BMXerror @ May 11 2008, 10:59 AM) *

Get a Boxster. dry.gif
Mark D.

Or a Cayman!!
TJB/914
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 11 2008, 06:36 AM) *

I voted to just fix the clutch. A driving restoration gives you the best of both worlds. You get to enjoy the car (It is summer ya know) and learn along the way.

But just in case,

How big of a check are you willing to write? biggrin.gif

agree.gif
I agree, if you have a rust free 914 that needs TLC fix what you have
or if you want instant satisfaction buy a Boxster. happy11.gif

Allan: Write a check?? You can't replace what you have for $25K. Nice Teener.

Tom
BTW: What color do you want rolleyes.gif av-943.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jesiv @ May 10 2008, 10:39 PM) *

Ok the clutch went out in my car today!

the clutch is a wear part. you'll have to replace it on any car every once in a while.
i don't think most people would contemplate buying a new car every time the clutch needs replacing on their old one. confused24.gif

do you buy a new ashtray every time yours is full???
biggrin.gif Andy
Trevorg7
do you buy a new ashtray every time yours is full???

He can just throw the butts out the window like the other Californians...argh mad.gif

ar15.gif

T
East coaster
yeah....how big is the check? Totally clean 3.6 teener, Wevo trans, leather, all metal......bring big check wink.gif

Click to view attachment
rjames
If you're a checkbook guy (not that there's anything wrong with that!) maybe a 35 year old car is not right for you. Unless you have a very big checkbook balance and aren't afraid to use it. And if that's the case, you might as well start using it with the 914 you already have.

agree.gif

dflesburg
give me your car and buy yourself a Honda.
ClayPerrine
FYI.. You do not, and will never have, enough money to buy my 914 (or Betty's for that matter).

Bill Gates doesn't have enough money to buy my 914......

(Possessive SOB ain't I?)

In answer to your question.. just fix the car. Then you get to drive exactly what YOU want, not what someone else thought you should drive.
ericread
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 12 2008, 02:38 PM) *

FYI.. You do not, and will never have, enough money to buy my 914 (or Betty's for that matter).

In answer to your question.. just fix the car. Then you get to drive exactly what YOU want, not what someone else thought you should drive.

That;s a BOLD statement my friend. I think you need to back that up with a pic or two...
mightyohm
Watch craigslist... there was a very original car up in Santa Rosa on there recently. Not sure if it got snatched up or what.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ericread @ May 12 2008, 04:41 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 12 2008, 02:38 PM) *

That;s a BOLD statement my friend. I think you need to back that up with a pic or two...

One picture....

Click to view attachment

"The Family that plays together, stays together"

I am in the foreground, in my 73 2.4L MFI six conversion. Betty is in the background in her 74 1.8L.

Picture courtesy of Charlie Davis (Thanks Charlie!)

KELTY360
Here's a lead on a nice 2L.

Orange 2.0
jesiv
Thank you for all your input. So I know I have some PMs to send and I apologize to all for my neglect.

Since my original post, I spent the first week being sick with a severe crick in my neck and working. I spent the next week with a really bad sore throat and working. I spent the week after that realizing that not being able to swallow, drink liquids and eating solid foods was a bad thing. I had an epiphany. Go to a doctor. So Friday of last week I cried uncle and went to the doctor, only to learn that I had extreme strep throat. So I got some penicillin, lidocaine and was sent home only to sleep for days. Boy that was fun!

So reality is back. piratenanner.gif

My direction is to fix the clutch and buy the nicest 1974 2.0 914 I can find. Then sell the 75 (Got to have some fun and enjoy the new clutch). So PM with your "Done" 74 2.0L pics and price. Looking for a completed project. Not looking for AX, looking for "stock". I will post a WTB.

Thanks for the ideas
Lavanaut
QUOTE(jesiv @ May 19 2008, 08:32 PM) *

So PM with your "Done" 74 2.0L pics and price.

BTDT amigo...no response. poke.gif biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

ps: pink house not for sale dancing.gif
ericread
QUOTE(jesiv @ May 19 2008, 08:32 PM) *

Since my original post, I spent the first week being sick with a severe crick in my neck and working. I spent the next week with a really bad sore throat and working. I spent the week after that realizing that not being able to swallow, drink liquids and eating solid foods was a bad thing. I had an epiphany. Go to a doctor. So Friday of last week I cried uncle and went to the doctor, only to learn that I had extreme strep throat. So I got some penicillin, lidocaine and was sent home only to sleep for days. Boy that was fun!

Sure!!! You got "Strep Throat"?? Fess up. You needed the penicillin because you were sheeplove.gif

unsure.gif
jesiv
That's my story and I am sticking to it sheeplove.gif

jhadler
QUOTE(jesiv @ May 10 2008, 11:39 PM) *
I am the guy that just wants to write a check (just one) and have a reliable car....

I haven't read through the responses yet, and I gotta figure I'm not going to be the only one to say this, but...

My friend, if you want an appliance sports car, get a <choke> miata...

I love 914's, but one thing you've no doubt gathered is that they require maintenance. And a good bit more of it than any modern Honda, or Mazda, or whatever. Really, the very last 914 to roll off the assembly line is still over 30 years old!

If the clutch went out, and they DO wear out. Replace it. Unless you've got a really big check to hand over for a fully restored car (and these days, they aren't going cheaply), and an open checkbook to pay someone else for the maintenance it WILL require, I think yer looking for something other than a 914.

Just my $0.02

-Josh2

jesiv
QUOTE(jhadler @ May 20 2008, 04:58 PM) *

QUOTE(jesiv @ May 10 2008, 11:39 PM) *
I am the guy that just wants to write a check (just one) and have a reliable car....

I haven't read through the responses yet, and I gotta figure I'm not going to be the only one to say this, but...

My friend, if you want an appliance sports car, get a <choke> miata...

I love 914's, but one thing you've no doubt gathered is that they require maintenance. And a good bit more of it than any modern Honda, or Mazda, or whatever. Really, the very last 914 to roll off the assembly line is still over 30 years old!

If the clutch went out, and they DO wear out. Replace it. Unless you've got a really big check to hand over for a fully restored car (and these days, they aren't going cheaply), and an open checkbook to pay someone else for the maintenance it WILL require, I think yer looking for something other than a 914.

Just my $0.02

-Josh2

I hear you. This is my third 914. My first was 76 2.0, 71 914-6 and now a 75 1.8. Until July 31 of last year I had not owned or been near a 914 since I sold my six in 1985 (for kids and a 1985 Bronco II).

I totally understand the maintenance and attention that a 914 requires and accept that.

What I am saying is I do not wish to invest the time and money in my current car. Rather than trying to find a different project car. I would prefer to purchase a completed project.
I don’t won’t to spend the time required to complete a project (my current car or your car). Nor do I want to go through the UPS and DOWNS of building “my car”. I want a solid car that just needs to be driven and maintained.

Regards,

James
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.