Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Idle thought for a rainy Sunday afternoon - dual headlights?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smontanaro
I was thinking it would be kind of cool to have dual headlights like 914111. Anybody ever done that?

Skip

McMark
Not that I've heard of. But I thought of that for awhile too. Do it!

BTW, it's not raining... confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(smontanaro @ May 11 2008, 11:42 AM) *

I was thinking it would be kind of cool to have dual headlights like 914111. Anybody ever done that?

i believe DGVWPB has the original factory schematics for the dual headlights in it. i'll have to look.

if i recall correctly, the original idea was to have them change angle when closed so the lights would point forward and could be used through a grille in the bumper ...

idea.gif Andy
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 11 2008, 12:43 PM) *

if i recall correctly, the original idea was to have them change angle when closed so the lights would point forward and could be used through a grille in the bumper ...

idea.gif Andy

Huh? I can't imagine that!
SirAndy
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 11 2008, 12:49 PM) *

Huh? I can't imagine that!

found it ... biggrin.gif

DGVWPB, Page 24 ... i'll scan the pic in a minute.

don't forget that 914111 was a prototype car. just because *it* doesn't have grilles in the bumper doesn't mean that porsche didn't plan to use the dual headlights that way ...
shades.gif Andy
SirAndy
alright, here we go ... bye1.gif

================================
from the DGVWPB book, pages 19, 20, 22 and 24
================================

Page 19 and 20, First, Heinrich Klie, the designer of the 914 (you can read more on that here!), talks about the dual headlights:

Click to view attachment

Translation:
In addition, it was clear that the car was going to have dual headlights. There were discussions about using 5 3/4" dual headlights or single headlights. Klie's idea was to build the dual headlights in a way that you could still use them as a high beam flasher when they were retracted. Besides the technical "finesse" of the setup, Klie liked the looks of the dual headlights much better. "We would have accomplished a much more generous and calm appearance". But because of cost considerations and the fact that the front trunk space would have been limited by the headlight buckets, the final choice was made to use the single headlights. At the same time it was decided to use two separate electric motors for the headlights that also had a manual operating mode. Nevertheless , the dual headlight concept was patented and implemented on a Prototype, which later became the 914-8 for Ferdinand Piech. A quote from Ferdinand Alexander Porsche: "It's a shame that this visually so much more interesting version never made it to production".

On page 22, there's a picture of the original clay model showing one side with the dual headlights and one side with the single headlight:

Click to view attachment

On page 24, there's a picture of another prototype car (914.103) that was used to test the dual headlight design:

Click to view attachment

And finally, also on page 24, there's a picture of the original patent application schematic:

Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
Back in 1985, I was looking at a 914/6 in San Clemente. Another buyer showed up in a Euro 6 with the dual headlights.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 11 2008, 01:44 PM) *

Back in 1985, I was looking at a 914/6 in San Clemente. Another buyer showed up in a Euro 6 with the dual headlights.

had to be a custom job ... but it would be cool to see pictures of people that have done the dual headlight conversion ...
idea.gif Andy
scotty b
QUOTE(McMark @ May 11 2008, 12:38 PM) *

Are you freekin blind? It's raining it's arse off ! confused24.gif
smontanaro
QUOTE(McMark @ May 11 2008, 03:38 PM) *

Sure, go ahead. Rub it in.

Thanks Sir Andy for the DGVWPB material.

Skip
McMark
It is windy and kinda chilly. I almost had to put a jacket on... almost...
1970 Neun vierzehn
Neat, obscure, and interesting design information. Thanks for sharing that with us, Andy. clap56.gif

Man, I wish there was an English version of that book!

Paul
Pnambic
There's a guy over at the Club board named Dan (TwoSkiNuts) who is working on what I think is a great little project to put two projector lights where our one normal light would be and make the pop-up pop just a littel bit less up.

He bought some Hella lights, the 50mm low beam on the right in this pic and the 90mm high beam on the left and he paid under $300 for both pair combined.

Here's a pic of the work in progress:
Click to view attachment
byndbad914
it's amazing how much better 914111 looks with the really clean and wide headlight covers v. the two-part eyebrow BS of the production car.

I have been working on a design similar to the Dan's for awhile now but have back-burnered that while getting the setup correct for racing. Now I am on the hunt for weight reduction and it is moving back into the fore-ground. I was going to use two 90mm lights (they are so cheap) tho' I like his idea to use the smaller diam to match the rake of the opening. I will manually open mine and lock in place with a pin (I don't drive it much let alone at night so auto anything isn't required).

Maybe I can just weld the eyebrow to the cover idea.gif even tho' it looks funny IMO (very long cover v. the width). I won't be opening it anywhere near as much so visibility isn't an issue.
smontanaro
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ May 12 2008, 05:24 PM) *
I will manually open mine and lock in place with a pin

Why not install a GT-style manual mechanism?

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/gt_mechanical_headlight_raisers

Hopefully since Armando replied to the question at the end of that page someone has started reproducing this stuff.

Skip

byndbad914
QUOTE(smontanaro @ May 12 2008, 05:22 PM) *

QUOTE(byndbad914 @ May 12 2008, 05:24 PM) *
I will manually open mine and lock in place with a pin

Why not install a GT-style manual mechanism?

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/gt_mechanical_headlight_raisers

Hopefully since Armando replied to the question at the end of that page someone has started reproducing this stuff.

Skip

I would definitely consider that for a driver smile.gif Considering I rarely street drive my car, let alone after dusk, I would rather just save all the weight and if I need lights, prop 'em up and lock in place.

I think I have used the headlights twice in the last 1.5 yrs - one night to load the car in the trailer when my day went "all wrong" cuz I never load the car that late out of respect for neighbors, and recently I went over to a friend's house an next thing I knew it was 11pm and remembered I drove the beast blink.gif It is way too loud to be rolling thru any neighborhood that late but had to be done laugh.gif
Joe Bob
Going thru the bumper violates height restrictions on the headlights....do that and no front plate in CA.....your cruising for a pull over.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Joe Mama @ May 12 2008, 08:06 PM) *

Going thru the bumper violates height restrictions on the headlights....do that and no front plate in CA.....your cruising for a pull over.

uhmmm, they weren't supposed to be operated as headlights through the bumper. only the high beam flasher was to be used through the bumper when retracted ...
shades.gif Andy
Joe Bob
Yes I'm aware of that....but I've seen some that put headlights where the fogs were and then had a smooth front deck lid w/o cutouts for the popup lights......
plymouth37
QUOTE(Joe Mama @ May 12 2008, 08:30 PM) *

Yes I'm aware of that....but I've seen some that put headlights where the fogs were and then had a smooth front deck lid w/o cutouts for the popup lights......

Like this?
Click to view attachment
And yes it is totally illeagal...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.