Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cooling Options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NineOneFour
My son and I are rebuilding our 2056 and have been looking into different cooling options. I found a setup by Air Cooled Classics, but unfortunately they are not producing them anymore. If you scroll down to the middle of the page you can see the unit: http://www.aircooledclassics.biz/parts1.shtml Anybody have any info on this unit or something that is similar to it?

I've read the old posts about the 911/FAT setup, but it seams to be the opinion of most that while it looks cool it doesn't work that great on a 914. Is that true?

scotty b
QUOTE(NineOneFour @ May 11 2008, 02:04 PM) *

My son and I are rebuilding our 2056 and have been looking into different cooling options. I found a setup by Air Cooled Classics, but unfortunately they are not producing them anymore. If you scroll down to the middle of the page you can see the unit: http://www.aircooledclassics.biz/parts1.shtml Anybody have any info on this unit or something that is similar to it?

I've read the old posts about the 911/FAT setup, but it seams to be the opinion of most that while it looks cool it doesn't work that great on a 914. Is that true?

According to the reigning king the stock cooling system is more than adequate for most any street engine and alot of track engines too. I for one trust his advice. Grantsfo is another story poke.gif
r_towle
I guess it depends upon what you are doing with the car.

The one that aircooledclassics.biz sold was electric is did not provide enough cooling unless you are talking about a 20 minute race.

The typical 911 cooling fan setup was the big thing for years, but recent testing that Jake has done showed that it did not perform as well as expected.

Jake Raby makes a system called DTM that is an improved cooling system, check him out.

After all that, your stock cooling is fine for a 2056...it even works with much larger motors.

Rich
SGB
I'm sure the best thing for cooling is a dry sump...
Dave_Darling
What are you trying to accomplish with the new cooling setup? Lower head temps? Lower oil temps? An interesting new look? Other?

Unless you're going for the look or for some other reason, I would stick with the stock setup until you determine that there really is an oil temp or head temp problem. Then I'd try to fix what's causing the problem, rather than just sticking a big cooler on it.

If you're going for the look, you can adapt Corvair cooling parts to the Type IV engine with a little creativity. It'd be neat!!

--DD
Jake Raby
I push 200 REAL HP through engines with the stock cooling system..

Adding cooling should not be your concern, adding cooling capability through effieicncy should be.

And remember- Looks kill. Adding an engine component, (no matter what it is) for looks only is just plain stupid.

Also, remember that I manufacture and test cooling systems and I could sit here and tell you that my 900 dollar arrangement would be the best thing since sliced bread and I'd profit from that.. BUT you don't need it on your very mild engine.

Our FP 914 with 180+ HP also runs the stock system with my modifications.

Dave hunt has a hard time getting his 200HP engine with stock cooling up to temp... Thanks to his "combo".. Ask him about it sometime..

You really need to purchase my 4th Dimension Radio series on cooling systems, I go over all of this in detail..
DNHunt
Yep

On the way to work I took 3 consecutive onramps. Mash it to get on pull off at the next one and repeat. Rolling start in 1st to the floor until the top of 3rd (7000 rpms). The hottest I could get one head was 288. The other was about 20 degrees cooler. Outside temp was around 50 I suppose.

Dave
NineOneFour
Thanks for the advice Jack, I'm way over the looks thing... biggrin.gif

Rodger

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 12 2008, 10:07 AM) *

I push 200 REAL HP through engines with the stock cooling system..

Adding cooling should not be your concern, adding cooling capability through effieicncy should be.

And remember- Looks kill. Adding an engine component, (no matter what it is) for looks only is just plain stupid.

Also, remember that I manufacture and test cooling systems and I could sit here and tell you that my 900 dollar arrangement would be the best thing since sliced bread and I'd profit from that.. BUT you don't need it on your very mild engine.

Our FP 914 with 180+ HP also runs the stock system with my modifications.

Dave hunt has a hard time getting his 200HP engine with stock cooling up to temp... Thanks to his "combo".. Ask him about it sometime..

You really need to purchase my 4th Dimension Radio series on cooling systems, I go over all of this in detail..

Jake Raby
I'm way over the looks thing...

Good, because many aren't and they intend to do whatever necessary to make their car/engine look faster than it actually is. Thats why I use blunt, harsh terms when referring to their actions, in hopes of waking their asses up!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.