Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel fans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
I took some pics of my wheel fans, how they mount etc.

Ill post them here instead of hijacking that 917 thread rolleyes.gif

This is the threaded insert that mounts in the wheel center.
TimT
This is the wheel fan from the back, with the center bolt
TimT
plastic center bolt
TimT
back of the fan
TimT
They used to be on a gold car confused24.gif
Joe Bob
Used to be? Meaning you are going to sell them?
ChrisReale
Are these still made? Or do you need to bottom feed at the junk yard racers supply?
Mueller
Tim,

Those studs look a little on the short side smile.gif

Thanks for the pictures, I never knew how those mounted.....
McMark
That "fan" setup doesn't exactly look like it moves much air.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Yeah. Straight blades confused24.gif
Britain Smith
I would have to say that I think that the straight blades on these fans would be designed to create turbulence and not have to move large amount of air. Heat is discipated faster under turbulent conditions than it is under laminar flow.

Just my $0.02...

-Britain
ChrisReale
I think Britain is right. Its not like an impeller fan.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 20 2004, 07:24 PM)
Those studs look a little on the short side ...

now you know why he covers them up with a fan !

i think the straight fan blades work just fine - Porsche and BBS have access to wind tunnels for testing... i wouldn't count on them being super-effective all by themselves - but recall that they're used on cars that already have been equipped with substantial ducts to the eye of the rotor - that aren't quite enough. so there's a nice supply of inlet air - you just have to encourage it out, and i believe the centripetal forces would work just fine.

even at race car speeds, they don't turn much faster than 3000 rpm - they don't have the issues turbocharger pinwheels do.

as a side benefit (pardon the pun) straight vanes don't care which way they turn, and you can mount them on either side of the car - fewer spares, one less thing to get wrong in the pits ...
McMark
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jan 21 2004, 05:18 AM)
as a side benefit (pardon the pun) straight vanes don't care which way they turn, and you can mount them on either side of the car - fewer spares, one less thing to get wrong in the pits ...

Plus, they cool in reverse as well. headbang.gif
lol2.gif
Scott S
Soooooooo...... how would "someone" go about getting two of these with hardware for a 15" wheel?

Any info is appreciated I, errr, I mean my "friend" would love a set of these for "his" front wheels.... wink.gif
rick 918-S
confused24.gif What the heck are those? confused24.gif Really.... confused24.gif
TimT
I knew you guys would pick on my nuts ph34r.gif

Im not sure what lug nuts they are, but I get 18mm grip,which is plenty, flush would look better though.

Actually that type fan isnt that inefficient. Looks a lil bit like the fans on the -4 engines?

I think these fell out of favor as brake technology became better.

I havent seen these for 15in wheels, you could make them or check out swap meets.

The 914 gets enough attention at track events here, having these on it makes it even more different beer.gif
Scott S
here are two cars with them
Scott S
TimT
935's give me wood beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.